LT1 or LS1 in Cavalier? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
LT1 or LS1 in Cavalier?
Monday, September 19, 2005 6:11 PM
Which one do you guys think would fit better? Or would the 262 that came from an older Nova be a better and more reliable fit? 262's are hard to find and was the smallest v8 GM ever made to my knowledge. I would love to see the face of any unsuspecting person when they roll up at a stop light when they hear a Cavalier caming. LoL!

Coming soon!,
"Stage IV" Hahn Racecraft System,
PortFueler,
Hahn Aluminum Intake Manifold,
Wiseco 8.9:1 Compression Pistons,
Eagle Connecting Rods,
Darton Sleeves,
Stage IV Clutch,
Will run daily @ 15psi and 20+ psi at the track!

Re: LT1 or LS1 in Cavalier?
Monday, September 19, 2005 6:14 PM
neither of them will "fit" well but if ur gonna go big a lot of money will make4 any engine fit

Monday, September 19, 2005 6:15 PM
What trans would you use pending you can get a v8 under there?
Monday, September 19, 2005 6:21 PM
Are you planning to do a rear drive conversion cause anything else would be kinda pointless with that much engine. Me personaly I go with a 383 stroker motor that would give you a reliable 400or so hp unless you wanted to slap on a supercharger then your talking 500+ with no problem. Stick with either a 700r4 or a 4l80 both good strong trans and should hold that much power with no problem. Deff gonna need a good 4link rear with either a 9inch ford rear or a 12 bolt posi is also a good choice.

HUGE undertakeing but good luck man.

BTW your talking an easy low 10 high 9 second car.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Monday, September 19, 2005 6:23 PM
Quote:

What trans would you use pending you can get a v8 under there?

Not sure about the transmission. I'm going to call my local speed shop and take my car in for an estimate to have a new driveshaft (for RWD), and other fabrication will cost. Some of my big block mechanic buds say that they would go for a LT1engine though.

Coming soon!,
PortFueler,
Eagle Connecting Rods,
Darton Sleeves,
Stage IV Clutch,
Monday, September 19, 2005 6:25 PM
Quote:

Are you planning to do a rear drive conversion cause anything else would be kinda pointless with that much engine. Me personaly I go with a 383 stroker motor that would give you a reliable 400or so hp unless you wanted to slap on a supercharger then your talking 500+ with no problem. Stick with either a 700r4 or a 4l80 both good strong trans and should hold that much power with no problem. Deff gonna need a good 4link rear with either a 9inch ford rear or a 12 bolt posi is also a good choice.

HUGE undertakeing but good luck man.

BTW your talking an easy low 10 high 9 second car.

remember what jackalope allways says,
"as fast as fast can be you'll never catch me!"

Thanks, man. I will look into the 4l80. If this turns out to be about the same price as the Hahn turbo system, I will go foward with it. And yes, I will supercharge the engine for 500+ hp.

Coming soon!,
PortFueler,
Eagle Connecting Rods,
Darton Sleeves,
Stage IV Clutch,
Monday, September 19, 2005 7:06 PM
Dont forget your basicly building a tube chassis car. BIG BUCKS man BIG BUCKS !!!!!

But def. Good Luck I'd love to see it.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Monday, September 19, 2005 7:08 PM
LS1 is a tight fit in a F-body bay, never mind a cavalier & they can tend to go for 1-5k for the motor & trans.
At one point I wanted to try a Northstar with fwd from an Olds Aurora, but was too lazy to make new strut towers to get it to fit in there. Figured if it fit in a Golf it would fit in a Cav but I was wrong.
Monday, September 19, 2005 7:35 PM
keep in mind that a 700R4 will not hold up to that much power. personally i think that your best bet would be the T-56 6-speed Borg Warner out of the corvette or camaro SS. if u do end up wanting to do the 700R4, look for a 700R4 Mega Raptor.....its completely rebuilt and strong as hell, i think they make one that will hold 800hp.

this is my sig
Monday, September 19, 2005 7:53 PM
there was someone who stuffed a blown small block in cav who was selling their car on ebay a while back so yeah anythings possible with money,btw a 700r4 and 4l80e are the same tranny (one is electronically controlled GM changed the name in 1994 model year) and both would be fine for a mild ls1 or lt1 and the t56 borg warner was only in 1993 to 1997 camaros z28 and ss 98 and up z28 and ss used a tremec t56 same with the vette and firebird of course.all trannys can be readily found at junkyards around the country especially the earlier borg warner good luck
Monday, September 19, 2005 7:57 PM
i personally wouldnt get the lt1, i would get an ls1 or ls6 if you want to make more power. the ls1 and ls6 have many interchangeable parts and are superior to the lt1. or since you are talking about spending a bunch of money any ways, buy a 6.0l gm vortech motor and bore it over .040 with some ls6 heads,intake, cam and a supercharger. also find someone who can fab you up a custom C5 corvette rear end with the trans on the rear differential.

it would be sweet as hell. you would win a bunch of shows too. i know when i went to the north american international auto show in detroit last year there was a grand am that had a v8 and was converted to rear wheel drive so it is very much possible

http://members.cardomain.com/scrawnyguy18

Monday, September 19, 2005 8:29 PM
both motors are great choices but the early ls1 castings were built with less reinforcement than 01 and up motors so a iron block ls motor out of a truck would make sense...but there are just as many parts for an lt1 as an ls1
Monday, September 19, 2005 9:40 PM
I'm pretty sure all small block chevys have the same external dimensions. So going with a really small displacement (ie 262) will not save you any space.
Tuesday, September 20, 2005 12:04 AM
it can be done, i thought about doin it to my grandam. my girl friends dad it a fabricator and told me we could put a carbed sbc in it and tranny will all suspension upgrades for under 2500. we priced everything and i am thinking about doin an lt1 in a grandam if i get this new job i want as a project car. there is a 01 or 02 grandam with an ls1 in it w/ rwd conversion too. it runs like low 12's with a few bolt ons! its pretty bad ass!
Tuesday, September 20, 2005 8:44 AM
it'd be easier for you to do a DOHC 32V Caddy Northstar V8 or an Olds Aurora V8. Both use FWD drivetrains.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Tuesday, September 20, 2005 8:59 AM
Have you looked at the LS4 5.3L V8 It is in the 2006 Impala SS and Pontiac Grand-Prix GXP. It has 303 HP and 323 Tq. It is the most compact V8 GM has today and it has a FWD layout too. Hey it is a option.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Tuesday, September 20, 2005 12:28 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I am looking at LS1 engines... So far, with everything fabricated including suspension, I'm looking at $8000. Which I don't think is that bad. I think if I do some of the fabrication myself, I will be looking more at a $5000 figure (for engine and tranny and suspension). Sound about right?

Coming soon!,
PortFueler,
Eagle Connecting Rods,
Darton Sleeves,
Stage IV Clutch,
Tuesday, September 20, 2005 1:28 PM
Sasuke wrote:Thanks for the replies guys. I am looking at LS1 engines... So far, with everything fabricated including suspension, I'm looking at $8000. Which I don't think is that bad. I think if I do some of the fabrication myself, I will be looking more at a $5000 figure (for engine and tranny and suspension). Sound about right?

and endless hours of fabrication. but if you can pull it off, sweet. i'll race you

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Tuesday, September 20, 2005 6:34 PM
yeah, lots of hours...but it would be something to brag about

http://members.cardomain.com/scrawnyguy18
Tuesday, September 20, 2005 7:51 PM
All small blocks have the samew size. There is no block diff between a 262 or a monster 454ci small block. A 383 stroker would be the best bet budget wise. A narrowed ford 9in rear, or a narrowed 12bolt (for a tubbed nova or somthing) sould probably fit. Tranny wise a turbo 350 would be ok, but a turbo 400 would be more reliable. Driveshaft would have to be custom legnth, so would the frame and motor/tranny mounts. If I hit the lottery, the camaro's 427 will be in the cavalier (tubbed of course), and a nice little 572 or merlin big block will be in the newly tubbed camaro.

Trust me, I've been thinking.

1971 camaro 427 --- here!

Stock... and loving every minute of it.
Wednesday, September 21, 2005 12:07 AM
Where do you find a 454 small block? Never heard of such a thing. The conversion wouldn't be that hard if you can do a little thinking and fabricating. Just pull the whole driveline out of a Camaro SS and go with the six speed manual and rear wheel drive. The hardest part will be the wiring. I've got a friend who just did a 4.6L in a Focus and his biggest problem has been the wiring. Unless you include the severe lack of traction from all the power that small car has!

Boosted 97 2.2L 5 Speed
Boosted 3.4L soon to come

Wednesday, September 21, 2005 6:35 AM
I have a few friends in town that can get me a good price on any engine, tranny, ecu combo (one works at a junk yard), so I'm sure I can get the LS1 setup for about 1.5 grand or cheaper. Now all I got to do is source out stuff to help me fabricate whatever the car needs. Just a note guys, this isn't going into the Ecotec '03 Cavy listed in my profile because it's getting a turbo system. The v8 setup is going into another Cavy that I'm going to buy for cheap (wrecked '03 and up) and deek around with. If you guys guessed, it's going to be a drag car.

Peace!

Coming soon!,
PortFueler,
Eagle Connecting Rods,
Darton Sleeves,
Stage IV Clutch,
Wednesday, September 21, 2005 6:37 AM
And yes, I've been SAVING for a long time. I'm not rich by any means.

Coming soon!,
PortFueler,
Eagle Connecting Rods,
Darton Sleeves,
Stage IV Clutch,
Wednesday, September 21, 2005 9:26 AM
Another one of these post? *sigh* Still has not yet been done. Lotta talk no action.

Wednesday, September 21, 2005 12:07 PM
Quote:

Another one of these post? *sigh* Still has not yet been done. Lotta talk no action.

And you know what? Your speculation doesn't matter to me. Sure, I'll do it and enjoy it. Meanwhile, don't pollute this topic with your meaningless banter.

Coming soon!,
PortFueler,
Eagle Connecting Rods,
Darton Sleeves,
Stage IV Clutch,
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search