Cobalt SS Motor Swap... - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Cobalt SS Motor Swap...
Thursday, September 15, 2005 11:33 PM
Well here's my question (and I apologize if this question has already been answered) A buddy of mine just picked up the new cobalt ss motor i think it's the 2.4 supercharged he got it from one of those auctions... and i was wondering if it would be possible and worth while to swap out my beaten up 2.4 twin cam z24 motor and throw the 2.4 cobalt motor in? if anyone has any idea's or opinions i'd really appreciate the feedback if any is possible... thx guys...

Re: Cobalt SS Motor Swap...
Thursday, September 15, 2005 11:47 PM
Jon Stamos wrote:Well here's my question (and I apologize if this question has already been answered) A buddy of mine just picked up the new cobalt ss motor i think it's the 2.4 supercharged he got it from one of those auctions... and i was wondering if it would be possible and worth while to swap out my beaten up 2.4 twin cam z24 motor and throw the 2.4 cobalt motor in? if anyone has any idea's or opinions i'd really appreciate the feedback if any is possible... thx guys...

Ok just some corrections first...

The Cobalt SS has 2 versions: One has a 2.4 VVT motor and the other has a 2.0 Supercharged motor...so there is no 2.4 Supercharged motor.

To answer your question, anything is possible with the right amount of money and time but to be more narrow, yes you can. You need basically a donar car because you would need the Motor, Tranny, Computer and possibly the fuel and ignition system (not sure about those 2). Now, this would be really difficult being that they were just released last month so you're not going to find really any crashed Cobalt SSs laying around in junk yards. If you wanted to try and buy them from GM, you might as well donate your kidney.

Also, the amount of money you would be spending on all those parts, you would only be gaining 20 HP over your 2.4 TC motor (2.4 ECOTEC VVT Motor has 170 stock). You could use that money to completely rebuild your 2.4 TC motor and/or boost your motor for more power gains.

I hope this has helped you some...if you have anymore questions, just ask.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Friday, September 16, 2005 12:09 AM
haha thanx for the corrections i wasn't to sure what motors were in the cobalts lol i just found out a buddy of mine got a hold of one and got excited but hey when you put it that way i just might stick with the 3400 thanks for you help NJHK

Friday, September 16, 2005 12:12 AM
Jon Stamos wrote:haha thanx for the corrections i wasn't to sure what motors were in the cobalts lol i just found out a buddy of mine got a hold of one and got excited but hey when you put it that way i just might stick with the 3400 thanks for you help NJHK

It's no problem.

Good luck with the 3400 Swap.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Friday, September 16, 2005 10:58 AM
thanks alot ..

Friday, September 16, 2005 2:28 PM
are you sure you want a 3400 ? the 3400 in a cavy probably runs high 14's and since you claim you're running 14 flat in your cavy 2.4 stock it wouldn't be worth it

15.891 @ 88 mph stock, still getting @!#$ty launches...
Friday, September 16, 2005 6:33 PM
he makes a very good point...lol i cant even hit 14 flat in my HO cav..maybe he can teach me

"Freedom 'ought to have its limits"-George W. Bush may 31 1999 (who voted for this idiot?)

Saturday, September 17, 2005 8:19 PM
There is a 00+ ld9 with the gm charger on it and a getrag tranny, will all the wiring and everything on ebay for 1700 bucks, and its over in like 2 days. Its a hell of a deal.

Click the banner to enter the best Quad4 & Twin Cam site on the internet.
Saturday, September 17, 2005 8:24 PM
WOW.... send me the link plz ... lol that sounds like an awesome deal

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search