engine making noise - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
engine making noise
Thursday, September 15, 2005 7:50 PM
i have a 99 2.2 cavalier and for some reason when i give it gas it starts to make a winding noise and like i said it only does it when i accelerate ne 1 have any idea on what it might be. Also keep i mind i have a custom warm air intake,header,hi flow cat motor mounts , and custom cat back exhaust....please help

Re: engine making noise
Thursday, September 15, 2005 8:27 PM
Have you noticed you losing any power?

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Thursday, September 15, 2005 8:46 PM
no not really
Thursday, September 15, 2005 9:30 PM
have you noticed it doing it after you installed those products, or one in general?

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Thursday, September 15, 2005 10:14 PM
i think it was after i changed my ignition coils, but their not performance coil. Could it be my intake,or maybe some of the header bolts are loose . NJHK i take it back it does seem like i' ve lost a little power
Thursday, September 15, 2005 10:15 PM
and have you traced this problem down to any specific area. could you describe the sound and when it occors a little better?

Thursday, September 15, 2005 10:24 PM
mike leal wrote:i think it was after i changed my ignition coils, but their not performance coil. Could it be my intake,or maybe some of the header bolts are loose . NJHK i take it back it does seem like i' ve lost a little power

If your header bolts were loose your exhaust would be louder because of the leak and you would probably start to smell more of it.

Spotabee Racing wrote:and have you traced this problem down to any specific area. could you describe the sound and when it occors a little better?

What he said...

Thursday, September 15, 2005 10:24 PM
it only does it when i push on the gas, no i havent narrowed it down to a certain area. lets put it this way have you ever heard a supercharged car and has that high pitch sound when you push on the gas something like that
Thursday, September 15, 2005 10:33 PM
mike leal wrote:it only does it when i push on the gas, no i havent narrowed it down to a certain area. lets put it this way have you ever heard a supercharged car and has that high pitch sound when you push on the gas something like that

If it sounds like air moving than it's more than likely something with your intake. Check it out.

Thursday, September 15, 2005 10:41 PM
put car in park or out of gear with e-brake on. rev it using your throttle in the engine bay. see if you can get a better idea where the sound is coming from. an exhaust leak will make your exhaust louder and sort of a "ticking" sound from the area of the leak.

Friday, September 16, 2005 12:02 AM
the winding noise could also be electrical interferance coming through the stereo speakers!!!!

Friday, September 16, 2005 12:06 AM
Todd Nixon wrote:the winding noise could also be electrical interferance coming through the stereo speakers!!!!

Friday, September 16, 2005 12:51 PM
NJHK (Sexual Chocolate) wrote:
Todd Nixon wrote:the winding noise could also be electrical interferance coming through the stereo speakers!!!!

He is right about noise comming through the speakers usually when a power wire is to close to an RCA cable that doesnt have enough shielding. It is usually described as more of a whurring or whining noise not a winding noise.. Wow whurring whining winding no wonder we are confused LOL.
Friday, September 16, 2005 5:20 PM
i did what you said spotabee it sounds like it coming from the bottom of the engine . I think it s one of my pulleys possably a/c .
Friday, September 16, 2005 5:33 PM
Okay, a couple questions, then a theory.

Does the noise change pitch when the trans shifts, or when the engine rpm changes?
(one or the other, not both, engine rpm could be when you stomp on it, but let off the gas before the trans shifts)

Does the noise sound like its coming from near the center or to one side of the engine bay?

When was the last time you had your trans fluid flushed, and the trans filter changed?

My theory is, the transmission is rather unhappy, and the whining could be a rather untimely demise en route.

Just my .02¢

Freakin morons.... When will they learn. Hold On Not Done Accelerating
Friday, September 16, 2005 5:47 PM
I had a problem like this...check your power steering fluid, it mite be too full. If it's not that then check the idling pulley. Mine finally broke and that was the cause for all my problems.
Friday, September 16, 2005 10:34 PM
it sounds like its coming from the left side of the engine bay towards the bottom where the a/c compressor is and all the pulleys are. it starts winding right when you give it gas like when you first take off and continues or even when you just rev it
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search