b & m problem.. - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
b & m problem..
Thursday, September 15, 2005 9:36 AM
...mods, please move this if necessary...just wanted to try to get a quick response in this forum.

just had my phantom grip, flywheel, new clutch, and short shifter installed in my 96 2.2l...had some problems with reverse initially with the shifter. it wasnt clearing. now, i downloaded wild weasel's direx with pics, where it explained the shift frame had to be ground out a bit to clear reverse, and i sent them to the tranny guys...the ground it out, and reverse went in well...for a while. now, after about 25 miles of driving, it isnt going in so well..sometimes it finds reverse, sometimes it is like reverse doesnt exist. i called thew tranny guys, and they told me they wouldnt be able to do anything else for me, as they already ground the frame. any ideas what the problem could be? i paid over 2,000.00 for all parts and labor, and im really frustrated i cant get my tranny to work properly after such a big purchase.

thanks in advance...

...don't hate!.. respect people that have talent, even if it is in something you don't like or understand.

Re: b & m problem..
Thursday, September 15, 2005 9:54 AM
Sometimes I have problem to put it in reverse, but I didn't got a lot of the frame out. Did you adjust the cables back to their normal position when you installed it???

Thursday, September 15, 2005 12:33 PM
...i dunno, ghost, I had some tranny guys install it at a local shop.

...don't hate!.. respect people that have talent, even if it is in something you don't like or understand.
Thursday, September 15, 2005 12:38 PM
i had the same problem in mine 05 cavy. but how i solved the problem is cut the shifter boot off a little bit prob like 2-3 inches and then got a clear zip tie to put it back on the shifter it self. cant even tell and it goes into reverse fine now.
Thursday, September 15, 2005 1:13 PM
..im sorry tyler, i dont understand. what do you zip tie together? can you elaborate? the guys at the tranny shop are stumped, and im getting mad at em, lol. thanks in advance...

Thursday, September 15, 2005 5:39 PM
when you cut the shifter boot you will need to have something to hold that to the shifter level itself. i found that it works best to zip tie it to the shifter lever the metal piece that you move to shift it that helps any. the shifter boot was getting in the way when i would shift and that solved the problem for me because it gave the shifter more clearence to move into reverse
Thursday, September 15, 2005 6:09 PM
..thanks tyler.

Thursday, September 15, 2005 6:10 PM
no prob and if that doesnt work let me know
Thursday, September 15, 2005 6:13 PM
first before you cut it you might wanna pull up on the shifter boot to see if it helps it go in reverse better
Thursday, September 15, 2005 7:02 PM
...pull up on the boot? you mean, pull up on the shaft when i am driving normally ( when I am actually shifting into reverse?) that will make it go in?I dont think i can grab it w/out pulling off the shift knob (I have a momo shifter leather boot threaded to the knob). sorry for sounding like a noob, i really am tho, when it comes to tranny work. thanks..

Friday, September 16, 2005 5:33 AM
...ok, just took the car back to the tranny shop. they tell me i have no reverse lockout pin, that that was on the 2000+ models...they took out my console to show me. then they showed me that it was NOT the shift boot frame, as it was ground quite a bit. the shift boot still had a lot of white lithium grease. what he DID show me, however, is that my shift linkage bar was not sliding properly inside the linkage cable...sometimes it would, sometimes it wouldnt. he had placed the proper clip in place to make sure the linkage waqs held perfectly in place, but it still had trouble sliding in and out of the cable. in fact, sometimes the entire cable assemble would "buck up" when trying to push the bar in trying to find reverse (sorry for the poor terminology, i am NOT a tranny guy). therefore, he diagnosed the shift linkage bar must be bent or warped or frayed, and the shift linkage must be replaced. he is stumped otherwise.

is he correct? and if he is:

1-what does the linkage run (more or less) from GM? anyone know? (D*MN, this is getting expensive.. )

or

2-does B&M or any other company make an aftermarket linkage? I need it asap.

thanks in advance..

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search