Upper Motor Mount Install? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Upper Motor Mount Install?
Thursday, September 15, 2005 10:46 AM
Can anyone help me out with this? I bought the red upper motor mount from carcustoms and cannot seem to get it in there. I heard it is supposed to be pretty easy to install it. But there is a black metal bracket that I can't seem to get inside to put in the mount. Also, do you have to jack up the motor when you do this? I have had this mount for 5 months now and still haven't installed it, lower mount was easy but I have no idea how to get into the black bracket to put in the mount. Someone please help me or give me some steps that you did when you installed yours! Thanks so much!!!

Re: Upper Motor Mount Install?
Thursday, September 15, 2005 10:53 AM
to make it easier..the top mount will have to come off...use a jack to hold your engine up...then completely remove the upper mount...i think there are two bolts that hold it to the engine and a couple smaller ones that hold down the mount..anyway..once you get it off and look at it to see how the mount goes in i think the best way to get it in is to set iton the ground.put the insert where its suppose to go and stand on it ...its a pretty tight fit and wont go on as easy as the lower one did...this one will take a bit of force..good luck with it

"Freedom 'ought to have its limits"-George W. Bush may 31 1999 (who voted for this idiot?)

Thursday, September 15, 2005 10:56 AM
http://www.teamforwardmotion.com. Don't forget the dish soap.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Thursday, September 15, 2005 11:05 AM
To access the motor mount, you have to remove the radiator reservoir.

Figure 1

Using Slip-Joint Pliers, remove the (2) small upper coolant hoses. Also, disconnect the coolant overflow hose. Note: Do NOT remove the lower coolant hose (larger diameter), lest you loose all your Dex-Cool!

Figure 2

Using a 10mm Socket, remove the reservoir mounting screw.

Figure 3

After some wriggling, the reservoir should pull straight up and away from its' mounting position. Pull the reservoir towards the front of the car to a convenient location. Note: be careful of the coolant hoses you disconnected earlier; they may begin leaking fluid if the ends are not kept upright.

The engine mount assembly uses (6) 15mm nuts. You only need to remove 4 of them. There are 3 primary mounting nuts, and one bracket nut. The bracket nut is the rear topmost nut on the motor mount (see Figure). Using either a Deepwell 15mm Socket or wrench, remove these 4 nuts, starting with the bracket nut.
Figure #4

Figure #5

With the nuts removed, lift the motor mount cover up and off. Using a 1/2" Socket, remove the (2) motor mount bolts, and then remove the top engine mount (rubber mount).
Figure #6

For final assembly, the insert must go into the motor mount (on the car) first. Use a little soap to help when sliding the insert into the mount.
Figure #7

Figure #8

The mount should slide right in, and then the factory rubber mount will fit back into place up against the RKSport insert.
Figure #9
Installation is reverse of removal. [Figure 4

2004 Grand Prix GTP (Competition Group)
SOLD-->1999 Z24 5M-#30 to register on JBO
"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people'
all the time

Thursday, September 15, 2005 11:21 AM
Some people seem lucky and it just slides in wo taking the whole mount apart. For me i just took the mount out and put it in. Saves a lot of headaches and trying to work the insert in.

Yes you HAVE to support the engine before you loosen the upper mount.

Thursday, September 15, 2005 11:38 AM
I used those TFM instructions when I did mine. Dish soap was definitely important.

Thursday, September 15, 2005 12:24 PM
wow...thank god for walk thrus im glad you guys found them cus i never coulda explained it in that much detail

"Freedom 'ought to have its limits"-George W. Bush may 31 1999 (who voted for this idiot?)

Thursday, September 15, 2005 12:27 PM
scott trent wrote:wow...thank god for walk thrus im glad you guys found them cus i never coulda explained it in that much detail

i just give links to the writeup. i figure if someone spent the time to do it, send them there lol

Thursday, September 15, 2005 3:21 PM
i know jacing up the engine helps, but according to teamforwardmotion's instructions they seem to do it w/o the jack. is it possible to do w/o the jack is my question. i just got my mounts today so i'd ask this question anyways. thanks in advance.

*Devil Z*
Thursday, September 15, 2005 4:08 PM
i supported my engine, didnt jack it up any, and the mount went in no problem at all, didnt take the stock one out and didnt need dish soap, upper took maybe 5 mins including taking everything apart. but yeah i used tfm instructions. very well written. good luck.

Thursday, September 15, 2005 5:20 PM
thatnks carbon cavi, i'll try it out tomorrow when i get out of work early(^^)

*Devil Z*

Thursday, September 15, 2005 5:24 PM
Carbon Cavi, saw in your reg that you have a 62mm TB, are you gonna go boost at some point in time? after much reading on here, if you are not sure or not goin boost, having a 62mm TB, you're not benefiting any higher performance. anyone correct me on this if im wrong, or fill in the lines.

*Devil Z*
Thursday, September 15, 2005 5:40 PM
fst_99Z24 wrote:Carbon Cavi, saw in your reg that you have a 62mm TB, are you gonna go boost at some point in time? after much reading on here, if you are not sure or not goin boost, having a 62mm TB, you're not benefiting any higher performance. anyone correct me on this if im wrong, or fill in the lines.

What does this have to do with the topic at hand??

Thursday, September 15, 2005 6:49 PM
^^^ My thoughts entirely...

Thursday, September 15, 2005 7:09 PM
^^ my bad, i know that was off topic but i was curious what he did to his car in regards to mods and saw it thats all...geez my bad

*Devil Z*
Thursday, September 15, 2005 8:31 PM
wow..ya help a guy out then ya turn on him next thread down...ouch

Thursday, September 15, 2005 9:31 PM
fst_99Z24 wrote:i know jacing up the engine helps, but according to teamforwardmotion's instructions they seem to do it w/o the jack. is it possible to do w/o the jack is my question. i just got my mounts today so i'd ask this question anyways. thanks in advance.

I did it without supporting my engine at all. But, I already had the lower mount in so there really wouldn't be a whole lot of extra room for support.

Thursday, September 15, 2005 9:33 PM
If ya can't figure it out, we can install it at the track on the 24th. Should be plenty of time.

My Car
Thursday, September 15, 2005 9:35 PM
Sunfires rule! (Tom) wrote:If ya can't figure it out, we can install it at the track on the 24th. Should be plenty of time.

lol just don't forget the soap lol

Friday, September 16, 2005 9:41 AM
thanks for the information this makes it seem like I can do this by myself if I follow those TFM instructions. But we have mixed results as to lifting the motor or not??? I have the lower motor mount in place alread so I would think that if the mount is in down there then I wouldn't have to jack up the motor right? I just didnt see how to get the black metal bracket out of these Since that ARM that comes off the motor goes into there. The am off the engine was in the way of my pulling out the black metal box and the motor mounts that were inside of there. Still clueless how everyone says you can just take out the bracket, it seems stuck in there to me. But I'll try t get it in before the 24th. Thanks for the help Tom, I'll try to have it done before then!

So lift the motor or not? Shouldnt the lower motor mount give sufficient hold or support for the motor? Or should i remove the lower motor mount as well, then install the upper and the lower one last?

Thanks for the help!

Friday, September 16, 2005 9:45 AM
The top mount does most of the load bearing support and the lower mount does most of the forward/backward torque stabilization under load. That's true with 2.4's and ECO, the 2.2 OHV and 2200 I'm not sure.

IMO Yes you should support the engine. The top engine mount is VERY easy to get out of there.

Friday, September 16, 2005 11:26 AM
Get the bracket off, then the two bolts holding the mount on( the bean shaped thing) then force the insert in, and put it back together. Don't need to support the engine. But you might have to move the engine back and forth to get it in. So do it on a level surface.

My Car
Friday, September 16, 2005 5:49 PM
this might be a stupid question, but i have also has these mounts for over a year and cant figure out the top one. when you put the jack under the motor where exactly do u put the jack
Friday, September 16, 2005 7:32 PM
"The mount should slide right in, and then the factory rubber mount will fit back into place up against the RKSport insert."
omg i had a rough time putting the factory rubber mount on top of the RK Sport insert. i didn't jack the car nor the engine, but from what ppl said earlier about having np of that method, i sure did. i even used a sh!t-load of soap. it took a bit of muscle to shove that rubber mount on top of the insert. a possiblity would be cause my driveway is a bit of a downward angle, i dont know, but i was getting quite pissed off. after cleaning up the mess and putting all the tools aside, i took it for a spin. start-up was nice, no shaking from the engine, felt a bit more power to the ground, not alot but enough, to feel it. i'm planning on doin the lower mount this weekend.
on a different note, the rattling-type sound is still present coming from behind my engine block and the firewall. anybody? will i dont want to jack this thread, but i posted this similiar problem here: http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=41&i=21213&t=21213

*Devil Z*
Friday, September 16, 2005 11:23 PM
rattling? could be a head shield or something

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search