Exhaust sound question. - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Exhaust sound question.
Sunday, September 04, 2005 1:34 PM
I am in love with the way the WRX and STIs sound. Like a hellicopter. Is there any way to make a J sound something like that.

Re: Exhaust sound question.
Sunday, September 04, 2005 1:39 PM
not really. except to maybe swap in a motor from an STI. but i dont see that happening

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Sunday, September 04, 2005 1:45 PM
Jason Ruggiero wrote:I am in love with the way the WRX and STIs sound. Like a hellicopter. Is there any way to make a J sound something like that.

Remember, they have Boxer motors which sound much different and also they are turbo'd.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Sunday, September 04, 2005 1:48 PM
dont quote me on it but wont cams make it sound a little bit like that?

ZeRo
2001 Chevy Cavalier
Sunday, September 04, 2005 1:52 PM
glue a piece of rubber in your exhaust pipe so it flaps around when you accelerate

Sunday, September 04, 2005 1:53 PM
basically, if you want an STI sound, then get an STI

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Sunday, September 04, 2005 1:54 PM
zero or die wrote:dont quote me on it but wont cams make it sound a little bit like that?

I quoted you on it.

But no, cams wouldn't make a difference, all they do is change how quickly and how much gas and air come into your engine and exhaust out. It would either amplify or speed up the sound of our exhausts. I think.

Sunday, September 04, 2005 1:59 PM
Thats what i figured. But besides the fact. Where can i get a good sounding 4.5 inch tip muffler. I allready got the catback with a 3 inch can.. I think it looks to small.

Sunday, September 04, 2005 2:00 PM
BradSk88 wrote:
zero or die wrote:dont quote me on it but wont cams make it sound a little bit like that?

I quoted you on it.

But no, cams wouldn't make a difference, all they do is change how quickly and how much gas and air come into your engine and exhaust out. It would either amplify or speed up the sound of our exhausts. I think.

Actually you're slightly off. Your cams don't control how much fuel comes in. If you have a DOHC motor, you have an exhaust cam and an intake cam. The exhaust cam controls the amount of exhaust flow leaving your motor, the intake cam controls the amount of airflow coming in.

What zero or die was trying to talk about is when they make a "looping" noise and it sounds very deep. That sound will only sound like that at idle...when your accelerating, the sound will really depend on what kind of exhaust system but it does sound a tad deeper when accelerating.

Regardless, your car won't get the EXACT sound of an STI because it's a totally different motor than ours.

Sunday, September 04, 2005 2:04 PM
Jason Ruggiero wrote:Thats what i figured. But besides the fact. Where can i get a good sounding 4.5 inch tip muffler. I allready got the catback with a 3 inch can.. I think it looks to small.

Buy a Magnaflow muffler and have one of their tips welded on.

Sunday, September 04, 2005 2:49 PM
Jason -

They hit it early on. Nothing is going to sound like a boxer engine. Look up how the engine is layed out. The sound comes from the two cylinders being horizontally opposed; also the headers are unequal length, part of the reason it has such a distinct sound. WRXs and STis with equal length after markets lose part of that great sound.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search