eco rebuild - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
eco rebuild
Thursday, September 01, 2005 1:24 PM
so i got an ecotec engine with around 39k on it and it has been blown due to N2O...i want to build it back up as a somewhat race motor with a lot of performance mods to it....some questions i have are 1. how far can i bore out the cylinder walls...i was thinkin bout goin 60 over ...i think that 90 will be just a bit too much....also...should i stick with GM performance parts or change to aftermarket parts....i get gm parts for 10%over cost....where should i go to get the most bang for the buck and most power increases...i'm wanting to go all NA no N20 for now and no Supercharger or turbo...where can i find fuel rail and fuel pumps, injectors and all the aftermarket performance parts...for decent prices...i'm talkin rods pistons cams lightweight stuff too if possible.....crank shaft as well

I AM the man from Nantucket

Re: eco rebuild
Thursday, September 01, 2005 1:34 PM
Most good engine builders will just over bore the min amount needed. That way you get a few more rebuilds out of the block. No sense in boring out to max because if anything ever happens it's new block time. I'm not sure if there's room to go over .040.

Thursday, September 01, 2005 2:19 PM
hard to find pistons to go .040 i think i have found some that go .060
Thursday, September 01, 2005 3:23 PM
JBod2304 wrote:hard to find pistons to go .040 i think i have found some that go .060

ok. I totally feel what you're saying and I'll try to help you out as much as I can.

BOLT ONS

Exhaust: You can pretty much get it custom made if you want or order it from any company. If you want to go 2 1/4", Magnaflow or Borla is what I suggest. If you decide that you want to go 2 1/2" piping, you need to get it custom bent. I would highly suggest mandrel bends or compression bends.

As far as header, you can order them from either Weapon-R, RK Sport, Pacesetter that have nice setups for our motors.

Intake: You can pretty much get this anywhere. I personally have a Weapon-R one. You can purchase this from Defined Parts.com.

Throttle Body: Right now there are 2 places that offer an bigger throttle body for our cars. They are RSM Racing & Reveco (I believe Reveco is ebay based). These throttle bodies are stock throttle bodies that were bored out to 62 MM and fitted with a bigger plate. I personally have the RSM Throttle Body and noticed gains in mid-range.

Motor Mounts: Keeps the engine still and from jumping around in the engine bay. May help with response.

Crank Pulley: You have the option of getting a couple quality pulleys. There is the underdrive pulley from RK Sport and stock sized pulley by RSM Racing. The underdrive pulley reduces power being sent to another accessories by being smaller but it is nothing major unless you have a high powered stereo system or anything else that might drain your battery. The stock pulley will not effect your accessories. I personally have the RK Sport Underdrive pulley and noticed faster reving.

Intake Manifold: Currently there is only one company really producing an intake manifold for the ECOTECs, which is Venom. It's new in production and because of that, it's very expensive (around $900 I believe). If you do not think it is worth it, there is a post you can read on dremeling your stock one: http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=2&i=297315&t=297315#297315

MOTOR

Camshafts: There are basically 2 types of camshaft grinds going around. The stage 1 is the "safest" because it doesn't throw any codes. You can get this camshaft from Jbody Performance. The Stage 2 is known to throw codes and might experience fuel issues in result of this camshaft (and also the Stage 1). Crane Cams sells a grind for the ECOTEC motor, you can purchase it from Howell Automotive. Of course, if you decide that you want to take your cams to a machine shop and have it re-grinded, you can. I personally have the Stage 1s and notice my Powerband increases from 3000 RPMs and up.

Cam Gears: GM Performance is the only place that supplies us with this product. I have done plenty of research and our stock cam timing is pretty much right on the money but if you still want to purchase this, you can. Warning: in order to adjust this, you need to remove your valve cover.

Port & Polish Head Packages:

As far as I know, there are basically 2 companies that you can get these from, Patriot Performance, GM Performance Parts and RSM Racing. They offer the springs, retainers and port and polish the cylinder to a nice amount to give your motor a nice breathing path. If you want different valves, those are usually extra and you'd have to get a price on those. I personally have the Patriot Performance head and noticed MUCH faster reving and top end power. I would also suggest getting a fuel tuning after this is installed to make sure you are running the right fuel amount.

Head Gasket: You can purchase an ECOTEC Multi-Layer steel head gasket from Cometic or you can get the copper head gasket from GM Performance Parts.

Pistons: There are various places you can get Pistons depending on what you want done. You can purchase these from Wiseco, JE Pistons and GM Performance Parts (these are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head). Wiseco & JE Pistons makes different compression pistons, from 9:1 to 10:1 compression. If you are running all motor, I would suggest upping it to about 10.5:1 or even 11:1 compression but that is simply up to you. GM Performance Parts offers a couple set of pistons. 1 set is their High Performance Pistons, they don't list any ratings on them but I believe they are 9:1 compression pistons which is good for if you decide to boost at a decently high PSI. They also offer a Set of Race Pistons. Those pistons are only to work with their Race Rods and I believe their Crankshaft. GM also offers a set of LSJ Pistons which are the pistons from the Cobalt SS Supercharged/Redline 2.0 motors. They are rated higher than the 2.2 Pistons (I believe rated at 300+). Most of these packages come with Piston rings included but follow up to make sure they do.

Rods: You can purchase these rods from Eagle or 3 sets from GM Performance, either the LSJ Rods, GM's High Performance Rods or GM's Full Race Rods. They are all rated at different power amounts, contact them before you decide what you want to find out their ratings.

Crankshaft: The stock ECOTEC crankshaft has been tested to handle power amounts up to 600 HP. If you really want to swap your stock one out, you have the option of 2 crankshafts...Eagle's Forged Crankshaft or GM Performance's De-stroked Crank shaft.

COMPUTER/IGNITION TUNING

SAFC-2: This allows you to adjust the amount of fuel you want in each RPM, from Low throttle and High throttle. It tricks your computer into changing the signal to your fuel injectors to send more or less fuel into your motor. This comes in very handy if you are running rich or lean and want to get that perfect tune. Simple install...must soider wires to prevent any issues.

Greddy E-manage: This product allows you to alter fuel consumption, ignition timing and also possible to remove your rev limiter (if needed). This is adjustable through using a laptop computer with their software or by purchasing their own monitor for tuning, whichever you decide. Installation is similar the the SAFC-2 but is a bit more involved since you are hooking up to the ignition controls in the computer.

Megasquirt: This product allows you to change the fuel consumption or ignition timing. Installation is the same as the 2 above.

AEM EMS: This is a full standalone system unlike the other "piggyback" systems. This will allow you to do anything you chose without throwing any codes and pretty much allows you to do as will with your computer with no problems. This is very involved and very expensive. This is highly suggested if you are not running high amounts of power. I believe this is not emissions legal also.

MSD Ignition system: You would need the MSD DIS-2 ignition system. This will allow you to change your ignition timing and will supply more spark.

Here are instructions to hook up all the piggyback systems and PCM Diagram:

<a href="http://www.ny-jbodies.org/library/engine/ecotec/ecoemanage.asp">Piggyback Hookup</a>

<a href="http://www.ny-jbodies.org/library/engine/ecotec/PCMwires.asp">ECOTEC PCM Diagram</a>

Here are links to everything I mentioned or places to buy those parts:

Defined Parts
Jbody Performance
Patriot Performance
Car Customs
Howel Automotive
MSD Ignition
RSM Racing
GM Parts Depot
Modified Motorsports
Gravana Tuning
A Plus Performance

If you have anymore questions, just ask. I hope this helps out

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Thursday, September 01, 2005 3:52 PM
hey thanks a lot dude.....i'm still deciding if after i build this motor if i want to use it or sell it....i have a kid coming and i kinda need the money....so i dunno

Thursday, September 01, 2005 4:01 PM
JBod2304 wrote:hey thanks a lot dude.....i'm still deciding if after i build this motor if i want to use it or sell it....i have a kid coming and i kinda need the money....so i dunno

No problem

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Friday, September 02, 2005 9:49 AM
I think AEBS has a sleeve kit for the Ecotec, but not positive. If you ever go boosted in the future I would get stronger sleeves.
Friday, September 02, 2005 5:58 PM
well i'm still debating as to weather or not i want to rebuild it back to stock or build it up with some performance parts...i'm thinking about selling it when i'm done and wondering if there would be any interest from anyone in buying it.....i need to sell it because i have a baby coming in 6 months and need the money

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search