cams and roller rockers - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
cams and roller rockers
Wednesday, August 31, 2005 7:52 PM
hey ive got a 2001 2200 sunfire im thinking of getting some cams and rollers . i need some info thought . with the compcams 1.6:1 rollers and the stage 2 cam from jbodyperformance(Duration @ .050*, Valve Lift INTAKE 207*, 480 EXHAUST 212*, 490
) would this be to much for stock bottom end ? what would be the advantages of this? would this be to much lift for the valves? would i need to do any valve guide work? this is going to be my first internals project and i need to find out some info on these things. thanks for any help that you guys can give.

ITS ALL FUN IN GAMES TILL SOMEONE GETS SHOT IN THE LEG

Re: cams and roller rockers
Wednesday, August 31, 2005 7:59 PM
unless you are running boost, more air isnt gonna hurt....physically.... the bottom end.

you wont need valve guide work, but it can be beneficials... all support the entire goal.

Wednesday, August 31, 2005 8:29 PM
so if i wanted to run nitro later on down the line would this be a bad thing to install these rollers and cam ? what kind of wear and tear would this do or is it a realativly safe mod?thanks event

Wednesday, August 31, 2005 8:36 PM
rollers... no... mainly look at it as a little more lift and friction decreaser....

cams, shouldnt be. i know they do cams for n/a nitrous, forced induction with little to no overlap... basically cams for all kinds of stuff, but the cams shouldnt be a problem.

nitrous levels you choose to spray however can be a determinant on whether you should do the lower end or not.

to be honest with ya... you prob already know our cam is in the block.... since you are going that far, might wanna think about just doing the whole block strong...

my personal reasoning on that was when i first started a few of the local muscle car guys always told me.

"build the block strong and it will handle anything you throw on top of it."

i mean a cam change can be done over the weekend no prob, even in a day if you just wanted to do cam and rocker arms.....

just some extra ideas.

Thursday, September 01, 2005 9:40 AM
if you are going to have the motor out to swap the cam, you might as well have gathered a few parts such as rods and pistons, possibly have your crank balanced and micropolished. if you have the money to get your journals machined, i suggest going for it.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Sunday, September 04, 2005 8:29 AM
well with the 1.6:1 would i need to have a different valve cover or would there be enough clearance with the stock valve cover. also do roller rockers actually give any hp or do they just reduce some friction and free up hp?

Sunday, September 04, 2005 8:59 AM
john lewis wrote:well with the 1.6:1 would i need to have a different valve cover or would there be enough clearance with the stock valve cover. also do roller rockers actually give any hp or do they just reduce some friction and free up hp?

You should be alright as clearance. As far as HP...I believe it all works into each other, there really isn't a set amount of power gain from changing your roller rockers but it will help in how things process in your cylinder head.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Sunday, September 04, 2005 9:59 AM
you won't need a different valve cover. the rockers add power due to the increased amount of valve lift they create. you will definitely notice a difference in the top end as long as your valves are adjusted properly

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Sunday, September 04, 2005 5:25 PM
well how do you know when the valves afre adjusted correctly . or do you have to get them adjusteed?

Sunday, September 04, 2005 5:30 PM
it tells you how to adjust em.... once you snug em or something, you compress the spring 20 thousandths...

everything you need info wise is in the howell automotive kit.

Sunday, September 04, 2005 5:48 PM
last guestion about these things is . do they rase the power band or lower it?

Sunday, September 04, 2005 7:52 PM
does anyone know if roller rockers will raise or lower the power band?

Sunday, September 04, 2005 8:10 PM
neither....

less friction, more lift minimal,but more.... more power....

rockers work the same throughout the whole rpm

but mainly less friction, more power.

Sunday, September 04, 2005 8:10 PM
the cam however will determine power bands

Sunday, September 04, 2005 8:36 PM
well which one would be best to keep the power band at 4 through 6 grand?thanks for all the help event

Sunday, September 04, 2005 9:16 PM
notta prob mang,

but rockers will be fine...like said, its just less friction. thats gonna be that way no matter where the power band is....

cam.... well if you get a custom grind, you can pick where you want your power band.... up top, down low, all over, mid to high, etc...

not sure how to word it, but a cam will be the more significant thing.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search