School me on the 3.8 SC motor swap.. - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
School me on the 3.8 SC motor swap..
Wednesday, August 31, 2005 6:08 AM
I have a 98 Z24 5speed, i have a few question i have searched found some info but not much i was looking for.

What cars can this motor be found in?Year? Im asking cause i know a few but im sure theres more the motor can be taken from.

What will i losse/gain?

What's needed in the swap other then the motor and trans?
thanx alot

Re: School me on the 3.8 SC motor swap..
Wednesday, August 31, 2005 8:59 AM
Raven is a good person to talk to, as well as me. But the car my engine came out of was a 96' buick riviera. The Olds Intrigue had the motor, as well as 97+ Grand Prix GTP's, The Regal GS, Bonneville SSEI, and the newer Monte Carlo SS's. There may be a few im missing but that should help.

You need the motor and transmission of course. If you want to do a 5-speed, you have to use the 2000+ getrags from a 2200 motor. You need the engine pcm, wiring harness, and a custom flywheel made, along with a high performance clutch. Also, you will have to change out your shifter linkage because the isuzus and getrags are different

The hard part is building the subframe and making the mounts for the engine, then of course all the rewiring. Its a lot of work ill tell you that.

Wednesday, August 31, 2005 3:56 PM
Just a question, if you can use the getrag from a 2K+ 2200 why wont the isuzu from a 95-99 2.2/2200 work? The 2.2 block has the same bellhousing bolt pattern from 95-02?

Im just curious, does the getrag from a 00-02 2200 have a dual bolt pattern for the bellhousing??

Mike

1992 GMC Sonoma GT #492. Oh, Its just a stock V6!

1999 Cavalier Coupe, daily driver, 2200/M5. Mods and pics are in my registry.
+
That pretty much says it all.

Support the site that supports your habit, Go Premium.
Wednesday, August 31, 2005 6:33 PM
HotRodV6 wrote:Just a question, if you can use the getrag from a 2K+ 2200 why wont the isuzu from a 95-99 2.2/2200 work? The 2.2 block has the same bellhousing bolt pattern from 95-02?

Im just curious, does the getrag from a 00-02 2200 have a dual bolt pattern for the bellhousing??

The 2200 is a slightly different block design from the 2.2 (at least from what I have read in the various posts around here) and as such the bolt patterns are different.

Thursday, September 01, 2005 6:16 AM
Meck thanx for the help! Im thinking about doing it im still a lil leary about it though..

Will it be that hard to make a sub frame for it and have it mounted.

Thanx a ton.
Jon

Thursday, September 01, 2005 9:30 AM
http://www.cardomain.com/id/raven_sc3800

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Thursday, September 01, 2005 2:20 PM
Orange Syn wrote:Meck thanx for the help! Im thinking about doing it im still a lil leary about it though..

Will it be that hard to make a sub frame for it and have it mounted.

Thanx a ton.
Jon

Ill let you know within a month or two when mine is finished

Thursday, September 01, 2005 5:45 PM
2 months Meck? i thought it be longer than that. but i wish you luck

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Friday, September 02, 2005 5:12 AM
The whole swap will take much longer. But 2 months and I should at least have the engine mounted in there

Friday, September 02, 2005 6:05 AM
Meckster.org (The Angry One) wrote:The whole swap will take much longer. But 2 months and I should at least have the engine mounted in there

ok grandpa... i could get the entire swap done in like 2 days... lol j/k

Friday, September 02, 2005 7:29 AM
hey, im gonna be a weekend warrior with this thing, I'm a college student so its going to take a little longer

Friday, September 02, 2005 7:40 AM
Meckster.org (The Angry One) wrote:hey, im gonna be a weekend warrior with this thing, I'm a college student so its going to take a little longer

I hear ya. I'm in college too. Luckily we got our turbo sedan project car done right before school started. I'm definitely looking forward to winter break as I have 34 days off

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search