2.2 non eco to eco swap - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.2 non eco to eco swap
Monday, August 08, 2005 10:45 AM
Hey. I am looking to swap the 2200 engine out of my 2000 sunfire auto. I found an ecotec engine with a manual tranny really cheap. Would it be worth it to drop this in, I know that this engine is a much better base for modifications. What all would be involved, and how long would it take. I am going to college in 1 month, and I need to do something b4 then. THANKS!

Re: 2.2 non eco to eco swap
Monday, August 08, 2005 11:17 AM
Yes it will be worth the swap.. Itll be alot easier for you than it would be for me because my car is pre 2000. I think all you need is the engine, harness, tranny, computer.. Not sure how your cluster is but if it doesnt have a tach then youll need that too.. Im sure someone else can add other things you'll need.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Monday, August 08, 2005 11:42 AM
Will the auto to manual give me any problems. I need to make up my mind soon and get to work so it is ready. Thanks!
Monday, August 08, 2005 4:46 PM
you'll have to cut the firewall to make room for the clutch pedal arm.......

mostly STOCK...not for too long '99 Cavy
Monday, August 08, 2005 5:44 PM
Worth it?

Its definately worth it, you would spend good money to get your 2200 to run the stock times of an ecotec.

The ecotec is a solid platform to build on. Solid because it makes good stock power, and even more solid because the engine is bullet proof when comparing it to the 2200.
Monday, August 08, 2005 10:22 PM
Rob Smith wrote:Worth it?

Its definately worth it, you would spend good money to get your 2200 to run the stock times of an ecotec.

The ecotec is a solid platform to build on. Solid because it makes good stock power, and even more solid because the engine is bullet proof when comparing it to the 2200.

That's true BUT as far as money, the amount of money he's putting into swapping the ECOTEC over (Engine/Tranny, all the necessary parts, labor), he can boost his 2.2 OHV to have more power than what a stock ECOTEC puts down.

Now, if his current motor is a high-mileage motor, I wouldn't suggest boosting it...in that case the swap sounds like a good idea.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Monday, August 08, 2005 10:26 PM
Think the cluster can be changed, I saw a 97 cav (not sure about the year) with a 2.2 eco, the guy changed the cluster too. Probably the same thing for a fire...

Monday, August 08, 2005 11:11 PM
i dont think overall its worth it

because your going to end up spending more time and money on it than you think, youll need the engine, tranny, maybe some mounts, tach, clutch peddle rigging up the shifter and im sure theres alot more. by the time you spend the time and money on all that you could probly come close to getting a used car with a manual eco in it already as j-bodys dont hold there value very well
Monday, August 08, 2005 11:16 PM
Blackplague wrote:i dont think overall its worth it

because your going to end up spending more time and money on it than you think, youll need the engine, tranny, maybe some mounts, tach, clutch peddle rigging up the shifter and im sure theres alot more. by the time you spend the time and money on all that you could probly come close to getting a used car with a manual eco in it already as j-bodys dont hold there value very well

That's very true. The amount of money you'll probably put into it, you can put a nice down on a newer ecotec jbody. Sucks our cars have no good price value...

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Tuesday, August 09, 2005 12:17 AM
NJHK (Sexual Chocolate) wrote:
Blackplague wrote:i dont think overall its worth it

That's very true. The amount of money you'll probably put into it, you can put a nice down on a newer ecotec jbody. Sucks our cars have no good price value...

because in all honesty, our cars aren't worth much. they seem to be worth more to us than to most other people. and i spend a lot of time pissed off at my car. as for the swap... go for it, do what makes you happy. at least you can say you have a pre-02 cav that has an ecotec.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Tuesday, August 09, 2005 5:54 AM
Hey. My car has all the exterior mods, so I am just looking for more power now. Would I need new axles, or anything else converting to a manual. I am really just doing this to get rid of the auto, and I also can pick up a turbo system for an ecotec motor for cheap. I was going to put it on my 2200 but if I can do this. I would have less than $1700 in the motor, tranny, wiring, and turbo. Thanks!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search