is a header worth it? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
is a header worth it?
Sunday, August 07, 2005 8:55 PM
I've got a 2.2 ecotec with the @!#$ plus, 2.25 inch piping from the cat back, and an aem CAI would the pacesetter header help me out? would i be able to feel anything extra with it?

Re: is a header worth it?
Sunday, August 07, 2005 9:00 PM
A header is worth it. Your exhaust system is still resctrictive because of the stock exhaust manifold being on your car. By putting a bigger header on, your opening up for a more free-flowing exhaust system and gains will be better.

I would recommend Weapon-R's 4-2-1 header, you can get them for a good price at www.definedparts.com.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Sunday, August 07, 2005 9:22 PM
why are some of the other headers so much higher in price? Is there really a difference in quality?

1998 Cavalier Z24
Sunday, August 07, 2005 9:32 PM
Well it really depends on the company. If you compare Weapon-R's header to RK Sports, they are actually RK's old design header and RK Sport's header is Ceramic Coated. I'd rather spend about $300 for a header than another $100+ for a Ceramic Coated Version...but that's me.

If you look at RK Sport's products, they are naturally just high priced, so that might be why they are much more expensive.

By the way, the header I'm referring to are the headers for the ECOTEC motor.

Sunday, August 07, 2005 11:05 PM
as far as i am concerned, a header and b pipe helps out more than a catback does. i noticed a larger difference in that than i did with my catback and high flow cat.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Sunday, August 07, 2005 11:47 PM
according to quad4forums.com, the header on a 2.4 is the most restrictive part of the engine as far as breathing capabilities... i replaced mine with a 100$ no-brand polished stainless 4-1 and added a magnaflow cat and it made a HUGE difference in power. with my existing RK sport cat-back, it made my car twice as loud, which to me is a bad thing
Sunday, August 07, 2005 11:57 PM
Tobeeahhs Toennies wrote:according to quad4forums.com, the header on a 2.4 is the most restrictive part of the engine as far as breathing capabilities... i replaced mine with a 100$ no-brand polished stainless 4-1 and added a magnaflow cat and it made a HUGE difference in power. with my existing RK sport cat-back, it made my car twice as loud, which to me is a bad thing

As far as the car's volume, you have to remember that your volume usually depends on your exhaust size, your muffler(s) and if you have resonators.

The RK Sport Cat-back has no resonators. If you want to quiet it down, I'd suggest investing in some.

Monday, August 08, 2005 12:23 AM
so on a sc 01 z, i should invest in a header lol??

2000 Camaro V6.
| SLP Loudmouth | CAI Intake | HID's |

Monday, August 08, 2005 12:26 AM
ZStreetCavSC wrote:so on a sc 01 z, i should invest in a header lol??

Are you joking or being serious?

Monday, August 08, 2005 12:35 AM
ZStreetCavSC wrote:so on a sc 01 z, i should invest in a header lol??

you better gt a header , youll notice alot more when you do

Monday, August 08, 2005 12:49 AM
actually i was being serious, but now that i think about it, i guess im joking lol

2000 Camaro V6.

Monday, August 08, 2005 12:56 AM
ZStreetCavSC wrote:actually i was being serious, but now that i think about it, i guess im joking lol

Oh ok lol

Well of course opening up your exhaust flow on a forced inducted car is always a good thing

Monday, August 08, 2005 12:59 AM
ok, so should i just go with an obx/pacesetter header, not the ceramic coated ones cause i dont care how it looks lol.

2000 Camaro V6.

Monday, August 08, 2005 1:04 AM
ZStreetCavSC wrote:ok, so should i just go with an obx/pacesetter header, not the ceramic coated ones cause i dont care how it looks lol.

It's not really all bout looks. A ceramic coated header keeps your engine bay temperature down compared to a non-coated header.

Monday, August 08, 2005 1:08 AM
didnt know that lol. cool, will prolly be getting one this weekend if not then next lol. gotta get it going faster you know? thanks bud

2000 Camaro V6.

Monday, August 08, 2005 1:11 AM
ZStreetCavSC wrote:didnt know that lol. cool, will prolly be getting one this weekend if not then next lol. gotta get it going faster you know? thanks bud

Your welcome...have fun with the boost

Monday, August 08, 2005 4:40 AM
I'd recommend pacesetter 4-1 header simply because more ecotec owners have it and love it. I'll be buying one myself soon.

Also if you didn't know 4-1 design is high end power while 4-2-1 is low-to mid end power gain. If your goal is a better 1/4 mile time then the 4-1 is your choice.

15.891 @ 88 mph stock, still getting @!#$ty launches...
Monday, August 08, 2005 6:13 AM
DanteMustDie wrote:I'd recommend pacesetter 4-1 header simply because more ecotec owners have it and love it. I'll be buying one myself soon.

Also if you didn't know 4-1 design is high end power while 4-2-1 is low-to mid end power gain. If your goal is a better 1/4 mile time then the 4-1 is your choice.

not always....

from what i've been reading and seeing....

what you gain up top, you usually lose down low, so depending on the drivers style there are drivers that can benefit with downlow power and run identical times to those who are slow off the line but catch up in the end.

also on some designs, pacesetter for the 2200, made a long tube 4-1, which basically gives gains in a mix of the short tube version 4-1 and a long tube version 4-2-1... its the best of both worlds...

Monday, August 08, 2005 6:27 AM
Dam-it Muffins (Event) wrote:
DanteMustDie wrote:I'd recommend pacesetter 4-1 header simply because more ecotec owners have it and love it. I'll be buying one myself soon.

not always....

from what i've been reading and seeing....

what you gain up top, you usually lose down low, so depending on the drivers style there are drivers that can benefit with downlow power and run identical times to those who are slow off the line but catch up in the end.

also on some designs, pacesetter for the 2200, made a long tube 4-1, which basically gives gains in a mix of the short tube version 4-1 and a long tube version 4-2-1... its the best of both worlds...

on a 1/4 mile you don't want too much power in the low end, because it makes it harder to launch.

I don't believe that on a 1/4 mile you can have different "styles", unlike on a road course. of course driver ability comes into play, but a perfect driver can launch good and shift fast, and this means he'll want power up top, not down low to compensate for his @!#$ty low end (which we don't have) and then his header is useless for the remainder of the 1/4 mile. Plus this guy has an eco, not a 2200 and experience from other users on this board say that the gains are up top.

I didn't tell this guy "BUY a pacesetter 4-1", I only told him that for drag racing, he should get the 4-1 design, and on our engines with sufficient low-end, we can afford to lose some to get more high-end.

Monday, August 08, 2005 6:51 AM
ok.. I bought RK Sport's exhaust, but didn't have the cash for a header yet... I spose I'll invest in a header soon, and resonators, because I really want to make it as quiet as possible. Should I get an aftermarket Cat, or put a piece of test pipe there... I'd imagine a Cat would keep it a little quieter.

1998 Cavalier Z24
Monday, August 08, 2005 6:55 AM
people who have good skills can launch a car with power....and too much power.... headers arent exactly the power of a supercharger or turbo. with a good driver, right air pressure, power on a stock engine shouldnt be any problem.

if you are running with those 17;s and 215/45/17, then that more than likely is your traction issue. small tires give no snap off the line.

and the mid pull as well from a 4-2-1 can get the car far ahead before the car with the 4-1 catches up.

point being is, users from this board say alot of things. according to some, coilovers on stock struts are amazingly great, jet chip pcms work.......yeah..... but i'm also adding outside views of ecotec drivers to the equation as well as their times. you know... the local guys

all GM cars in j-body form have low end.... more torque than HP to get you off the line. allways been like that.... reason why alot of cars HERE dont have low end is because they add oversized throttle bodies and exhaust that really isnt needed much more than for sound. decreasing velocity in and down, DROWNS your low end.

thats the reason why ALOT of people here lose low end power. on all engines.

saying the header is useless for the remainder of the trip??? its not like it magically closes up on the last 1/3 of the 1/4 mile.

think of it like this....

2 people doing a 4 lap mile.

person 1 sprints the first two laps steady paces the last 2

person 2 sprints the LAST two laps steady paces the FIRST 2

both finish with the same times. however person two, who laid on his power at the end will come across the line with higher speed. (higher trap speeds)

the reason why is that person one was gone off the line at the start, the top end power from person 2 merely makes up for what they lacked at the start.

Quote:

and on our engines with sufficient low-end, we can afford to lose some to get more high-end

EXACTAMUNDO....thats the thing, you are merely changing the powerband. like an exchange. not really a total gain with little side effects. you get slower off the line and the stuff you gain up top merely makes up for you now being slower off the line. thats why i'm seeing alot of people run similar times with between the two choices, but one side comes with higher trap speeds, others usually benefit on the start.

Monday, August 08, 2005 7:03 AM
I know about my traction issues, and next time I'm going to the track, I'll experiment with my suspension settings and will run my 14" winter tires in the front only with much lower aired down pressure than my low-profiles ever could. Aside from the high diameter of the wheel which can slow me down a bit, my 14" rims and tires weigh just about the same as my 17" with low profiles. I got pretty light wheels at 19 lbs each.

Monday, August 08, 2005 7:10 AM
chrome wheels? hard to determine from the picture, but being that i dont clean wheels too often, they could be silver like mine and i really wouldnt know

but diameter of the wheel will DEF slow you. more weight towards the outside of the circle of the rotating mass. more effort to get into motion.

19lbs is pretty heavy though....

mine clock in at 17 lbs. http://www.wheelspecs.com/specs/wheelmodels/131

2 lbs of extra rotating mass can make a decent deal of difference, not saying change your wheels, they look cool, but for race purposes...

Monday, August 08, 2005 7:14 AM
not that heavy, look up in the wheels forum faq the average weight for 17's is more towards 22,23. 17 lbs is very light for 17's. but since your registry doesn't say anything, are they 17's or 16's this specs page gives the weight for the 16's and the 15's, but not for the 17's.

Monday, August 08, 2005 7:17 AM
oh yeah mine are silver, not chromed. I generally don't like chromed wheels

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search