exhaust reduction - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
exhaust reduction
Sunday, August 07, 2005 8:42 PM
Ok. This being my first post, I would like to thank a bunch of you such as Spotabee, 97cavie24ls, and so many more for your knowledge of jbodies. It has saved myself money and the car's life several times.........Well anyways, on to my question. I have a 99' z24 and plan to get a custom exhaust bent and welded as well as an obx 4 to 1 header. The consensus seems to be that your exhaust (much like anything else) will only flow as well as your weakest/ smallest point. From what I have read, 2 1/4 in piping is the ideal, however it is too small for boost. What I want to do, is weld two reducers together to a minimum of 2 1/4 right from the downpipe then expand to 3" to the flex pipe...to prepare for a turbo upgrade (possibly next summer). Is this plausible, or do you think I should just get 2.5" straight back and possibly suffer a little horsepower for now? I don't want to have to go through the trouble of getting my exhaust done twice.

Also, I have both the lower motor mount and upper insert, so is it even necessary to have a flex pipe? Thanks.

Re: exhaust reduction
Sunday, August 07, 2005 9:28 PM
Some people have a misconception that you have to have a 3" cat-back when running a turbo setup, which isn't true. If your running low boost, 2 1/2" is suitable. It's when you run closer to 10 psi when a 3" cat-back would be more beneficial.

Quote:

I should just get 2.5" straight back and possibly suffer a little horsepower for now?

For now, run a 2 1/2" to keep from repeating getting piping done. With 2 1/2", you'll lose a bit more power but you'll be fine. Putting a 3" on now will be overkill. Also, leave your catalytic converter on...running a straight pipe will just sound obnoxious and not gain you any power as of now. After the turbo setup, if you decide to take it off, that's your choice.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Sunday, August 07, 2005 10:05 PM
just to clear things up a little......with 2.5" piping you wont lose power, you'll gain power, but it'll be shifted slightly higher in the rpm band.

Sunday, August 07, 2005 10:20 PM
Spilner521 wrote:just to clear things up a little......with 2.5" piping you wont lose power, you'll gain power, but it'll be shifted slightly higher in the rpm band.

Your correct and I should have cleared that up. Our cars powerband is naturally lower so having a 2 1/4" piping will be more onset for our type of power bands and our size motor.

Sunday, August 07, 2005 10:38 PM
i'd just stick with the 2.5 inch piping. you'll lose some low end N/A but once you go turbo it'll open up a LOT downlow and up top as well.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Sunday, August 07, 2005 10:43 PM
Spotabee Racing wrote:i'd just stick with the 2.5 inch piping. you'll lose some low end N/A but once you go turbo it'll open up a LOT downlow and up top as well.

I hate you cause you say the exact same thing I just said!

Sunday, August 07, 2005 11:01 PM
NJHK (Sexual Chocolate) wrote:
Spotabee Racing wrote:i'd just stick with the 2.5 inch piping. you'll lose some low end N/A but once you go turbo it'll open up a LOT downlow and up top as well.

yes but you see two great minds think alike... plus i'm veryfiyng that we are correct in our theories.

Sunday, August 07, 2005 11:04 PM
Spotabee Racing wrote:

yes but you see two great minds think alike... plus i'm veryfiyng that we are correct in our theories.

ok...I'll except that

Sunday, August 07, 2005 11:04 PM
correction... *accept that

Monday, August 08, 2005 10:26 PM
Thanks for your input guys. It helps a lot.
Monday, August 08, 2005 10:31 PM
Brian Whalen wrote:Thanks for your input guys. It helps a lot.

Your Welcome

Tuesday, August 09, 2005 12:10 AM

Your Welcome

postwhore

Tuesday, August 09, 2005 12:16 AM
Spotabee Racing wrote:

Your Welcome

postwhore

Look who is talking LOL

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search