Best cat back for 2.2 L sfire? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Best cat back for 2.2 L sfire?
Sunday, August 07, 2005 1:45 AM
I just got a dragon intake for my 01 2.2l sunfire. it was the first performance update i've ever gotten for a car and boy did it make my car loud =]

next i want to get an exhaust system. from experience, which one would you folks recommend? im guessing i should go w/ 2.5inch?

thanks

Re: Best cat back for 2.2 L sfire?
Sunday, August 07, 2005 2:02 AM
There really isn't a best, it really goes by if you like the way it sounds because they basically get the same amount of gains no matter which company you go with, remember, it's just piping and a muffler.

My favorite cat-back setups are Magnaflow & Borla. If you find them as being expensive, you can try and get it custom bent locally (mandrel bent preferably) and buy a muffler that you like, whatever size resonator you want and put that sucker on. It could come out cheaper and you get what you want.

Those are pretty much your options...

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Sunday, August 07, 2005 2:04 AM
Well there is no "best " If you do an exhaust I would recomend going to your local muffler shop and ask how much they would charge to make one for you. It most likly will be cheaper to get it done this way.

Also If you want to gain the most from it I would recomend doing the whole exhaust at once....ei pacesetter header and hi flow cat , w/ piping resonator, muffler. If you like the shiney fart can setup go for it. If you dont want a raspy noise mostly associated with hondas I WOULD get a resonator the longer the better i have a 26 in resonator going into a Flowmaster 40 series with a factory looking tip. It has a nice deep tone compared to most and is pretty quite around town till i open her up.

If you got any more questions just ask and search the forums for more info as this is asked many a time. I'm going to bed i m in ne d of some sleep .

jeff.

Sunday, August 07, 2005 2:05 AM
^ you bastard lol J/K I tought i was the only loser on who would respond to his post at 4am lol good night.

Sunday, August 07, 2005 2:11 AM
pushrods wrote:^ you bastard lol J/K I tought i was the only loser on who would respond to his post at 4am lol good night.

LOL I was thinking the same thing...

Sunday, August 07, 2005 11:05 AM
I don't have the money to get the Header+Exhaust combo, so i was thinking exhaust first and then header.

what is a resonator? =/
Sunday, August 07, 2005 11:33 AM
Oryan Dylan wrote:I don't have the money to get the Header+Exhaust combo, so i was thinking exhaust first and then header.

what is a resonator? =/

Ok just to correct you for future reference:

Your header is part of you exhaust system, so saying that you want to upgrade your exhaust first and then your header doesn't actually make sense because your talking about your whole exhaust system.

Your exhaust system is split up by different sections: Header, Cat, Piping, Resonator (if you choose to have one) and muffler(s). If your talking about a Cat-back, your talking about your piping from your catalytic converter all the way back and your muffler(s).

Now to answer your question, a resonator keeps the volume of your exhaust down...every car stock comes with one, that's why you will notice that stock cars are usually very quiet or deep throaty, that's the resonator keeping it down (along with the stock muffler). Now if you have an aftermarket one, you can get them in different sizes, the bigger it is, the deeper it sounds and the more it keeps your exhaust tone down.

In case your thinking about this, no it does not effect or "interrupt" your exhaust flow.

If you want more info on resonators and where to get them, just do a search and you will find tons of results on what you need...

Sunday, August 07, 2005 11:39 AM
2.5 for a N/A car may be too big, I suggest to go with 2.25", except if you plan on boost soon. I have a Vibrant Catback and I love the sound of it, IMO...

Sunday, August 07, 2005 11:50 AM
Da Ghost (Qc) wrote:2.5 for a N/A car may be too big, I suggest to go with 2.25", except if you plan on boost soon. I have a Vibrant Catback and I love the sound of it, IMO...

Yeah I didn't even notice that he said that about getting a 2 1/2" otherwise I would have commented on it LOL

Yes, I agree with Da Ghost, it might be too big for you my friend. I have a 2 1/2" piping setup on my car and I'm N/A but I have motor work and plan on boosting in the near future (I can't wait...). I would suggest also 2 1/4" piping to be more suitable for what your doing.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search