PCV issues - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
PCV issues
Friday, July 29, 2005 12:57 PM
I was working on a friends 03 cavi, and I put on a short air intake.

When I took the stock intake box off the throttle body, there was a puddle of oil at the bottom (inside of the intake box) from the PCV hose spurting oil into the intake.

So, I replaced the PCV hose with a breather element, and after 2 - 3 more weeks it became saturated with oil and started dripping onto the motor.
Why is there not a PCV valve there, did GM get lazzy?

I then put the PCV hose back on to eleminate the burning oil smell from his vehicle, and it is burning in the cylinders and shooting white exhaust.

Since I never had this problem with my Eco I was wondering if anyone else has, and maybe knows of a different solution?

Thanx ]Kros$

Re: PCV issues
Friday, July 29, 2005 1:47 PM
dose the pcv have any suction at idle if not you need a new valve dont be scared to touch it youll know

slide or die
Friday, July 29, 2005 1:49 PM
Sounds like he has a issue with his car.

FU Tuning

Friday, July 29, 2005 2:01 PM
Yeah that sounds scary.

I am thinking about driving from Windsor to RSM Racing in Mississauga (http://www.rsmracing.com/) to buy their 62mm throttle body and air intake combo and putting it on in the parking lot. This way I can avoid the $100 core charge and the shipping. But your story is making me think twice. Maybe I'll take a look at everything before I decide to go and make sure it's all dry inside.

2003 Z24 Auto. Goal = 15.5s.
Friday, July 29, 2005 2:46 PM
team drift wrote:dose the pcv have any suction at idle if not you need a new valve dont be scared to touch it youll know

There is no PCV valve in there, I found it strange, then I checked my car and mine didn't have a PCV valve either.

I didn't know that not having crankcase ventalation would cause a engine to die?

Does anyone else have a PCV valve on their 03 ecotec?

It looks like there should be one there, but just an open hose fitting is there.

So noone else has noticed oil coming into your airbox from the PCV hose?
Friday, July 29, 2005 3:54 PM
hm that's not good. those breather elements really aren't the best idea. i've actually seen them contribute to blow-by. you should have a PCV valve...

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Tuesday, August 02, 2005 2:34 PM
Spotabee Racing wrote:hm that's not good. those breather elements really aren't the best idea. i've actually seen them contribute to blow-by. you should have a PCV valve...

A breather sits atop of the PCV, it doesnt replace it.

“Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that’s even remotely true."
Tuesday, August 02, 2005 3:20 PM
Directly from the Haynes 1995-2004 Cavalier and Sunfire book and i quote:

"1998 and later 2.2L engines are equipped with an oil/air separator located inside the valve cover that requires no maintenance" pg 1-23

and

"On 2.2L OHC engines, the pcv system consists of the single hose between the valve cover and the air intake duct, and the crankcase ventilation housing (or simply, the vent housing) permanently affixed to the underside of the valve cover. Crankcase blow-by vapors are directed through internal passages in the engine block and cylinder head up to a vent housing, from which they're drawn through the hose into the air intake duct, then through the throttle body and manifold and into the combustion chambers where they're consumed along with the air/fuel mixture." pg 6-23

Just FYI.
As for the extreme leakage coming from it. That is not normal, my 04 doesn't do that.

~Riki

SPONSORED BY: No one!
Car Domain Site
Tuesday, August 02, 2005 3:26 PM
umm......wrong engine man......what you just said applies to the 2.2 ohv, not the 2.2 dohc ecotec engine.

but as far as i know the ecotec does not have a pcv valve, if it does, i never found one. and i think something is wrong, mine doesn't spew oil from the valvecover hose

You'll never touch God's hand
You'll never taste God's breath
Because you'll never see the second coming
Life's too short to be focused on insanity
I've seen the ways of God
I'll take the devil any day
Hail Satan

(slayer, skeleton christ, 2006)
Tuesday, August 02, 2005 4:08 PM
I think he ment the eco when he had the first statment say ohv and the second say ohc, I think, I may be wrong.

View my MySpace
Tuesday, August 02, 2005 4:16 PM
I have an Eco with an intake and I haven't noticed anything like that. I hope its still under warrenty cause that sounds like a cracked ring.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Tuesday, August 02, 2005 6:00 PM
they are refuring to the 2.2L DOHC Ecotec engine when they say 2.2L OHC

~Riki

SPONSORED BY: No one!
Car Domain Site
Tuesday, August 02, 2005 6:05 PM
I have the Hahn Stage II turbo kit and my breather filter on my PCV is covered in oil. Bad?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search