Header Bolts - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Header Bolts
Tuesday, July 19, 2005 8:25 PM
I already did a search and came up with nothing. I have 2 questions. Do pacesetter headers have problems with blowing gaskets and where do i find header bolts that are not included? I have a 1998 2.4 liter z24 cavy and i plan on taking my car to a custom pipe bending shop. thank in advance

Re: Header Bolts
Tuesday, July 19, 2005 11:12 PM
The gaskets that they send are always crap. Same way with OBX and just about any aftermarket header company. You will want to go to your local parts place and pick up a new Felpro OEM exhaust manifold gasket, shouldn't be more than $11 US. They don't supply you with new bolts you just use your stock ones. Are you taking your car to an exhaust shop to get a custom catback done?

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Wednesday, July 20, 2005 7:18 PM
i have a broken hand so i cant type alot. Im taking my car to get custom 2.5 inch custom piping from the pacesetter header into a 2.5 inch high flow cat into a turbo*brand name* muffler. Does auto zone have those gaskets?
Wednesday, July 20, 2005 7:23 PM
also my name is john stahl so dont mind my new name of daqfirez24
Wednesday, July 20, 2005 8:51 PM
DarqFire Z24 wrote:i have a broken hand so i cant type alot. Im taking my car to get custom 2.5 inch custom piping from the pacesetter header into a 2.5 inch high flow cat into a turbo*brand name* muffler. Does auto zone have those gaskets?

Any auto parts store should have the gaskets. Spotabee is right...the problem with headers aren't the actual bends but the gaskets that are included with them (usually).

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Thursday, July 21, 2005 7:34 AM
use a metal stock gasket.... prob solved.......4 life

Thursday, July 21, 2005 10:18 AM
stock gasket is ok??????? explain.
Thursday, July 21, 2005 10:34 AM
with the flat flange design pacesetter is using , the stock gasket works just fine

i installed my header using the stock gasket

Thursday, July 21, 2005 2:55 PM
isnt there 2 gaskets? one between manifold and block and the other between down pipe and outlet of header
Thursday, July 21, 2005 4:51 PM
ball flange setups dont really need a gasket....

running stock metal and no probs, goin on 2 years

Thursday, July 21, 2005 5:06 PM
I need to switch to the stock metal gasket. I am using the pacesetter gasket and I have a huge leak

Thursday, July 21, 2005 6:36 PM
ok thanks so much guys for the info about the pacesetter gasket. i will not use it. BUT what if my stock one is damaged, then go get a felpro just in case?
Thursday, July 21, 2005 6:42 PM
also, any of you have a 1998 z24 2.4 liter? or are yours all 2200 sfi engine?
Thursday, July 21, 2005 6:42 PM
DarqFire Z24 wrote:ok thanks so much guys for the info about the pacesetter gasket. i will not use it. BUT what if my stock one is damaged, then go get a felpro just in case?

that or go to any gm dealership and pay 10-12$ for a stock gasket...

Thursday, July 21, 2005 7:07 PM
also, any of you have a 1998 z24 2.4 liter? or are yours all 2200 sfi engine? im trying to lean more on this engine i did a search and cam up with sqat
Thursday, July 21, 2005 7:21 PM
2.5 sounds big

-----------------------------------------------------

98' Pontiac Sunfire SE

Thursday, July 21, 2005 7:53 PM
DarqFire Z24 wrote:also, any of you have a 1998 z24 2.4 liter? or are yours all 2200 sfi engine? im trying to lean more on this engine i did a search and cam up with sqat

ny-jbodies.org

40 posts for z24 http://www.j-body.org/forums/search.php?f=2&search=z24&globalsearch=0&match=1&date=0&threadtype=1&fldsubject=1

77 posts for 2.4L http://www.j-body.org/forums/search.php?f=2&search=2.4L&globalsearch=0&match=1&date=0&threadtype=1&fldsubject=1

9 posts for twin cam http://www.j-body.org/forums/search.php?f=2&search=twin+cam&globalsearch=0&match=1&date=0&threadtype=1&fldsubject=1

search works, you just have to search for more than 30 days.....

Friday, July 27, 2007 7:06 AM
i have a question about the bolts with the pacsetter header, do i need bolts and springs for the header or just bolts will be fine? i just bought one of some guy and it only came with the bolts and no nuts or springs if needed but he stated it might?
Friday, July 27, 2007 7:27 AM
OnEBaDAzZz24 wrote:i have a question about the bolts with the pacsetter header, do i need bolts and springs for the header or just bolts will be fine? i just bought one of some guy and it only came with the bolts and no nuts or springs if needed but he stated it might?

You need the springs too, dont install it without them, they keep the proper tension on the ball and socket joint so it does not leak.

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Performance Parts For Cavalier, Sunfire, Cobalts and More!!!
Friday, July 27, 2007 8:05 AM
^On mine, the ball kept moving, even with motor mounts... So i put on shorter bolts and tightened that bish up, no problems since...been maybe a month with it that way.
Friday, July 27, 2007 8:22 AM
Hmm, well if that is the case it seems good. Maybe Eric @ Pacesetter will jump in and post his thoughts.

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Performance Parts For Cavalier, Sunfire, Cobalts and More!!!

Friday, July 27, 2007 8:30 AM
the key is to keep them tight , you want the springs almost fully compressed , and you have to use a crimped nut on the bolts

do not use nylock nuts , the nylon will melt and you loose the locking feature

if you can only find regular nuts , then use 4 nuts total (2 on each bolt ) , you use the first nut to tighten everything up , then run the 2nd nut up and lock the 2 nuts together

if you go springless then add a flex joint

Friday, July 27, 2007 9:16 AM
does any one know where i could get them springs from? i looked at autozone yesterday and they didnt have much to choose from. and all so where could i get a flex joint from to? thanx
Friday, July 27, 2007 3:53 PM
the springs are about 1 1/8" long or so and 5/8" in diameter , and are not a tapered spring

you can use a little longer , or bigger around as long as they will sit fit on the flange

either autozone , checker , napa , should all have 1's that will work , or try a local exhaust shop

flex local exhaust shop

Friday, July 27, 2007 4:31 PM
yeah i just got back from farm and fleet and got my springs and bolts for the header. the springs are about 11/2 long and i put it together just sitting here and every thing is all good. thanx alot to every one who helped out.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search