CAT or no CAT - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
CAT or no CAT
Wednesday, July 13, 2005 10:54 PM
from my understanding a cat converter helps with emmissions, yada yada...next year ohio e-check will be gone, plus my car isnt elgible for checks anyways...so do i need a cat? Would i get more flow and performance without one if i just ran a straight pipe or *test pipe* to the muffler? and how would that effect the tone?

AkA joe m.

Ricer ELIMINATOR!

Re: CAT or no CAT
Wednesday, July 13, 2005 10:57 PM
one thing i forgot...i suppose o2 sensors are put in the cats...can they just be put in the pipes too?.. im just curious as to what i can do with this since im getting all this put on here shortly.

also im going to run n/a , 2.25 piping, ceramic headers, , borla exhaust

thank you much...

AkA joe m.

Ricer ELIMINATOR!
Wednesday, July 13, 2005 11:00 PM
wow i feel dumb, there is already a post on this just before i thought of it.... ok nvm

AkA joe m.

Ricer ELIMINATOR!
Thursday, July 14, 2005 10:39 AM
In all honesty...you really don't need a cat on our cars........and the O2 sensor in in the downpipe off the exaust manifold.

If you remove the cat it drastically changes the exaust tone, if your running an aftermarket exaust be preparred for a raspy exaust note w/ popping noises when your slowing down, and fart nioses when your shifting while the engine cold.

I romoved my cat and although I gained maybee a few horses high up, power doesn't come on until about 3400RPM wich makes it a pain taking off up hills. Although I prefer the way the car drives afterwards, I've gotten pulled over for my exaust a few times. I'm planning on having a header and a high flow cat put on.

I've got a glass pack on my car though, Borla will prabably sound better, but it will still be loud as heck. Even w/ my subs all the way up, I can still hear my exaust when I'm taking off. I'de just leave it in if I where you.

Thursday, July 14, 2005 5:24 PM
cats from way back in the day were restrictive but the new ones flow very well.
hotrod mag tested some cats a while back and found they dont cost you any hp. some actualy helped the torque.

but if you dont need it what the heck give it a try.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Thursday, July 14, 2005 7:27 PM
Well I am having a guy do my exhaust and he is doing 2.5 , removing the CAT, and dropping in a flowmaster muffler. As for the )2 sensor, put it approximately 12-14 inches apart. The temp will bank back and forth and read the same.

Thursday, July 14, 2005 10:22 PM
thanks guys, ill prollie just put on my new magnaflow cat , i dont want a ricer like sound tone. im ordering my ceramic coated headers tonight

AkA joe m.

Ricer ELIMINATOR!
Thursday, July 14, 2005 10:31 PM
you only have one header

Thursday, July 14, 2005 11:02 PM
yes yes yes i know whooopsy

AkA joe m.

Ricer ELIMINATOR!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search