2.4l performance issue, help!!! - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.4l performance issue, help!!!
Monday, July 04, 2005 6:30 PM
Hey guys, ok heres the deal, a buddy of mine has a 2000 z24 about 75k miles on it. The car has minor mods like pacesetter header, 2.25 cat back, secret cams, upgraded ignition, CAI. The other night we were out cruisin and i was driving my other buddies complately bone stock 2002 LS sport. We ended up racing and i was glued to his rear bumper from about 30-90 or so. So my question here is what the hell is the issue with the Z24. I know that the car has the check engine light on and that last week when we ran it through the scanner it had about 10 codes come up. But the codes were from the 02, the coolant temp (now fixed) and bad injectors (also now fixed) so could those 4 02 codes be really messing with the performance that badly? I ordered an 02 sim for him but i was just wondering if this would cure the performance issues, any ideas??? Thanks ahead of time for any help

Re: 2.4l performance issue, help!!!
Monday, July 04, 2005 6:42 PM
could of been anynumber of things. the driver of the z24 could of sucked at shifting. or maybe not even trying that hard. and an 02 sim wont realyl do anything besides trick the comp into think everything is ok when its really not

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Monday, July 04, 2005 7:39 PM
well i know the kid is a good driver and he said he was def trying as hard as he could, it was to the floor and wasnt pulling on the stock ls sport. I know what the 02 sim does, but ive been told by many tuning guys that having your comp recognize 02 errors really messes with performance, especially with the a/f ratio. I dunno, he is just wondering what is wrong with his car, its pretty sad to have those mods and not be able to pull on a stock ls sport at all.
Monday, July 04, 2005 7:48 PM
Well why does he have a CEL for O2 sensor? Did he remove the cat? I have the O2 sim, and it still throws a code, but does not hurt my performance. If it is for the rear O2 sensor then not performance hurting, but if for the front O2 sensor, could be performance. What ing mods does he have?

FU Tuning

Monday, July 04, 2005 8:48 PM
if he is hurting on the front 02 sensor in the header- then change it out, i had that problem for a week and my performance was terrible, change it...after i changed mine my performance came back and also my gas milage came back also so get all his 02 sensors that are bad changed out.
Monday, July 04, 2005 10:06 PM
we just installed the header on his car a few weeks back and it threw 4 02 codes. How do i know if the 02 sensors are bad in it or not? He has no idea about cars so this is why im pretty much doing all of the troubleshooting for him. The 02 sim will be here as soon as HighRevMotorsports gets it here. Also anyone have an idea how much a new 02 runs? Thanks for the help thus far guys.
Tuesday, July 05, 2005 9:37 AM
Just a question, Could it be he is running in safety mode now with all those codes? I know I heard NJ honda killa had a problem with that. Maybe that s it.

JBP Built 2.4
250HP
230FT
Dont race
But dont push it
Tuesday, July 05, 2005 9:47 AM
get us the actual codes its throwing and we will help you out...

Tuesday, July 05, 2005 9:57 AM
I'll run a scan on the car again and get the actual code numbers. I was also thinking that the car may be running in safe mode, or open loop. I know when that happens all of the air/fuel values get messed up and the car will run incredibly rich. I took the car for a drive yesterday and it honestly feels pretty decent, but it does seem like it has a dead spot in it under like half throttle or so. Also when the car is cold it hesitates when you try to take off with it under low load, it's pretty weird feeling actually. Its like the car is severely holding back but then it will just kinda take off, honestly it reminds me of like fast and the furious when their nitrous kicked in haha. Maybe this is the issue ???
Tuesday, July 05, 2005 11:54 AM
After he fixes whats wrong with his car tell him to upgrade to 2.5" piping so he can actually free up some top end power (and NO he wont lose any low end)

Tuesday, July 05, 2005 2:22 PM
BlackZ2401 thats a great idea, im glad i thought of it myself I have a custom stainless 2.5" on my z24 as of now, but im going with a turbo setup so im upgrading to a 3" system. So he is buying my old 2.5" . As for the exact codes well i went to autozone with him earlier today and the damn autozone guy treated the scanner like it was made out of gold so i dint get any numbers, but the codes it threw were these 1 cam positioning sensor, 1 vss but i assume this is due to the vss switch we installed, and then the 4 02 sensor codes. Were still troubleshooting here so feel free to chime in guys

Tuesday, July 05, 2005 4:13 PM
Well the cam code can cause the car not to run good. You really need to know what O2 sensor the codes are for.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, July 05, 2005 8:10 PM
any idea why the cam positioning sensor would be throwing a code if all he has is the "secret cams" i'll see if autozone will let me write down the codes asap
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search