94.5 hp dyno chart of 98 2200 - need input - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
94.5 hp dyno chart of 98 2200 - need input
Sunday, July 03, 2005 5:50 PM
I got my car dynoed for the first time today. I plan on adding a turbo to it so I wanted some base line charts to see progress along the way. Overall the experience was both different and eye opening. I hit a max of 130 ft/lbs but only 95 hp. Does anyone know what gives?? Most of the dyno charts I see of this motor have relatively close hp and torque figures.

Mods that I have:
- msd ignition
- intake
- 4 - 2 - 1 header
- 2.5 inch cat back

the car also has 146,000 miles.

here is the dyno chart:

p.s: Two pulls only cost me $35 as part of a monthly dyno competition

<a href="http://www.j-body.org/members/purplhaze">My registry</a>

Re: 94.5 hp dyno chart of 98 2200 - need input
Sunday, July 03, 2005 8:07 PM
ur exhaust is to big

2012 HD VRSCF
2010 Ford Explorer
2006 Ford Ranger
2004 Chevy Cavalier
Sunday, July 03, 2005 8:49 PM
your exhaust way too big. 2.5 is used for boosted cars. but since you plan on turbo. keep it

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Sunday, July 03, 2005 8:51 PM
^^ too big exhaust would hurt torque not horsepower....

those are some impressive numbers torque wise... I'm kind of torn... I want to say congrats, but I can't help but be skeptical

sweet torque

Sunday, July 03, 2005 9:11 PM
Is that estimated crank or to the wheels?

Sunday, July 03, 2005 9:59 PM
BlackEco wrote:Is that estimated crank or to the wheels?

has to be wheels...

2200 has 115hp crank and 135 torque...

those are actually respectable/normal for the mods he has.

justin cox when he ran 15.9 with an auto 3 speed with just boltons dynoed at 103 to the wheels. had a slight few more things done.

Sunday, July 03, 2005 10:46 PM
TheFlyingSquirrel (PJ) wrote:^^ too big exhaust would hurt torque not horsepower....

Not true. HP is based off of torque. Lowering one means the other has lowered as well.
What you mean to say is too big exhaust hurts low end torque, so vicariously hurts low end HP as well.
But the 95/130 he pulled on the dyno was not a low end measurement, it was a peak, so a large exhaust wouldn't lower that number. "Too big" of an exhaust would raise your mid-high end numbers. Well, up to a point.

I'd say his numbers were right on too. Bone stock numbers are noticably lower than that.
Sunday, July 03, 2005 11:02 PM
hmmm 146,000 miles though....how much play does engine wear affect his dyno?

not bad numbers though...for a car with 150,000 miles ..you are keeping it up. your not going to keep all your stock hp with mechanical wear right? i would just go over the internals maybe to see whats going on there. thats my guess.

115chp stock

to about 95 whp w/ mods seems like thats what it would be with no mods , and with the high milage seems normal

and like someone else said before u may have lost a lil torque due to your 2.5 exhaust...but when you go boosted that should be nice

AkA joe m.

Ricer ELIMINATOR!
Monday, July 04, 2005 6:12 AM
^^^ I agree, for the mileage, that's pretty impressive. Maybe he should invest in a junkyard longblock to build up a little bit before its time for boost, or just re-ring it, replace the bearings, redo all the valve seats and seals, and slap it on just to recover the power thats probably being lost through blowby.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Monday, July 04, 2005 9:38 AM
does he have the msd ignition set correctly? [that can effect hp]

with your 2.5 exhuast, do you still have your cat? [if you have your cat still, it'll act like a 2.25 ]

the reason for good sticky tires!

719 Customs - Coming soon to a SoCo Area!
[A.K.A. Seven One Nine Customs] (no its not a car club)
Monday, July 04, 2005 9:43 AM
yes your exhaust is too big, and your motor is somewhat wore out, cam lobes could be at the early stages of going flat, your drivetrain is weak, and well... that's to the wheels and of course, autos have a lesser percentage in power transfer from crank to wheels than manuals.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.

Monday, July 04, 2005 9:50 AM
also, do you have any sort of aftermarket upper & lower engine mounts? [this can really effect the HP/Torq transfer to the wheels]

Monday, July 04, 2005 10:09 AM
yes good recomendations i agree ^^. motor mounts, check the valvetrain and reseal and ring everything. i was going to mention the blow by but couldnt think of it at the time.

AkA joe m.

Ricer ELIMINATOR!
Monday, July 04, 2005 10:25 AM
eh not blowby . it's not even boosted.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Monday, July 04, 2005 10:36 AM
^^ rings wearout and the controlled explosion passes by the rings. aka blowby.

Stiffer motor and trans mounts will not increase hp or torque.

My Car
Monday, July 04, 2005 11:38 AM
^^^ completely wrong!

stiffer engine mounts = better torq/hp transfer to the wheels! (which increase your "TO THE WHEEL" out put!)

anyone can tell you that! even i can, i noticed a huge difference when i did my upper & lower enigne mounts

Monday, July 04, 2005 11:45 AM
sticky tires wrote:^^^ completely wrong!

stiffer engine mounts = better torq/hp transfer to the wheels! (which increase your "TO THE WHEEL" out put!)

anyone can tell you that! even i can, i noticed a huge difference when i did my upper & lower enigne mounts

Ive got to agree on this. When I put my lower/upper engine mount I felt my engine go stronger. Sight I felt a better power overall.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
My Car Specs
Club J-Body Montreal Forums
Monday, July 04, 2005 12:27 PM
sigh..

When does the engine move?

Can you lose horsepower from a softer mount?

Have you dyno'ed before and after with these miracle motor mounts?

I have the upper mount on the 2.4L, all I can say is the engine moves less now. It feels better when you take off, but no additional power is made anywhere else except for when the weight of the engine transfers when you launch.

So it's safe to say you will increase horsepower. when? When you launch. why? because the engine is not moving back? How long? .1 secs it takes for the engine to move back and be stopped by the motor mount.

Motor mounts give you a more solid feel and DO NOT increase horsepower.

My Car
Monday, July 04, 2005 1:03 PM
i think it would. i have both lower and upper on my 2.4, and it does give you a more solid feel.

so when you launch, yes it does rock back then forth, and yes the mounts almost eliminate the rocking, but when your still in the gas, isnt your motor still cock eyed a little bit?[ sorry, i couldnt think of a good word for that but youll get that sometimes] and as your hp and tq numbers increase, shouldnt you motor move farther and farther back? i need a video or something to explain this better.

2000 Camaro V6.
| SLP Loudmouth | CAI Intake | HID's |

Monday, July 04, 2005 1:11 PM
Better mounts will improve your launch, but will not make an iota of difference in peak times on a dyno plot. The engine is simply not moving at that time. It only moves at launches, hard shifts, or other "shocks", like say suddenly stomping on the gas.
And I still say the big exhaust may have hurt his torque curve on the bottom, but it more than likely helped the top end peak numbers.
Monday, July 04, 2005 1:15 PM
ok maybe this will work.
this is just to show you what im trying to say, and i know that the engine doesnt move this much, but it had to be done this was lol.

1. the way it sits at idle------say 80 degrees
2. when you punch the gas---say 40 degrees
3. say at 3000 rpms----say 70 degrees
4. say at 5800 rpms----say 60 degrees

and this is by no means supposed to be accurate angles, they are just exaggerated to show what im trying to say lol.

2000 Camaro V6.
| SLP Loudmouth | CAI Intake | HID's |

Monday, July 04, 2005 1:22 PM
^^^ Motor mounts probably won't help on a dyno.... the only time power transfer to the ground is interrupted by engine movement is on the launch, and on shifts. Since a dyno run is done through only one gear, start to finish, mounts will NOT effect the peak hp/tq ratings. Although better mounts may show a slight improvement lower on the dyno curve.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Monday, July 04, 2005 6:38 PM
Motor mounts only give you better launches and pickup after you shift. Even if they did matter it would only effect lower rpms. Once the motor is loaded it might shift a little, but that won't effect top hp. Its kinda like running drag radials. That won't matter on a dyno.

I'm gonna be replacing the lower mount anyways. Also I'm going to compression test all the cylinders this week. Last time I checked only one cylinder and that was around 165 psi, but I would like to know how they all are.

But thanks for the input from everyone!!

<a href="http://www.j-body.org/members/purplhaze">My registry</a>
Monday, July 04, 2005 8:48 PM
TheFlyingSquirrel (PJ) wrote:^^ too big exhaust would hurt torque not horsepower....

those are some impressive numbers torque wise... I'm kind of torn... I want to say congrats, but I can't help but be skeptical

sweet torque

wrong, well not totally wrong but this was my experience. I had 2,5 inch exhaust at my dyno challenge put down 141 whp and 147 tq, put my silencer in and got 146 whp and 149 tq

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Monday, July 04, 2005 10:59 PM
So much misinformation.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search