New post from the village idiot..with questions.. - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
New post from the village idiot..with questions..
Sunday, July 03, 2005 8:51 AM
ok..so I go "the man" which everyone around my area says "he knows"..asked him about flashing obd2s..and about my motor and my options for a build..he says his mustang was obd2 and put turbo on it..(which he does..ive seen it) he didnt have to flash it..said the computer guys told him that the obd2 actually will reset it self after you drive it once to acomidate what ever you did to make it work right..
is that true?
also told me with the right cams and 11:1 comp. piston in my 2.2 ecotech with shaved and ported head....and intake..with headers i could put out around 205hp-250hp..
is that true?
if it is im going to to getter done

Elmer the wricer hunter..."Shhh be vewy vewy quiet...I'm huntin wrice"
Kill da wriiiicer...Kill da Wricerrrrr..kill daaa wriccceeerr!!!

Re: New post from the village idiot..with question
Sunday, July 03, 2005 9:29 AM
If I'm not mistaken, yes we have OBD2 computers but your talking about a TOTALLY different computer with TOTALLY different perameters. Their computers may allow and accomidate for upgrades than ours. Their cars are not fuel economy cars, they are sport cars. Our computers are going to be more restrictive and not take well to modifications. Theirs aren't going to be as restrictive in which will allow more room for modifications and will take well to the extra air flow.

Also, He could be right as far as about 200 HP+ crank...to the wheel...your going to need to do some tranny work to maybe hit 200 HP wheel. Mostly, it's not really been done because our computers wouldn't take well to the high compression so we would need a standalone setup and most of us don't know if we would need 93 octane or higher to get it to run properly.

Like said, most people don't do this...they usually boost.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Sunday, July 03, 2005 9:32 AM
im not really the man to talk to about the eco but that kinda power seems abit unrealistic for changing cams and a compression bump..but maybe someone else could be more detailed

THE GUY SURE LOOKS LIKE PLANT FOOD TO ME!!!

Sunday, July 03, 2005 9:39 AM
id rather boost the engine

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Sunday, July 03, 2005 9:48 AM
NJs Honda Killa wrote:If I'm not mistaken, yes we have OBD2 computers but your talking about a TOTALLY different computer with TOTALLY different perameters. Their computers may allow and accomidate for upgrades than ours. Their cars are not fuel economy cars, they are sport cars. Our computers are going to be more restrictive and not take well to modifications. Theirs aren't going to be as restrictive in which will allow more room for modifications and will take well to the extra air flow.

Also, He could be right as far as about 200 HP+ crank...to the wheel...your going to need to do some tranny work to maybe hit 200 HP wheel. Mostly, it's not really been done because our computers wouldn't take well to the high compression so we would need a standalone setup and most of us don't know if we would need 93 octane or higher to get it to run properly.

Like said, most people don't do this...they usually boost.

i guess im just an idiot..i figured that an obd2..is an obd2..didnt know there were diffrent versions....so what kind of tranny work would i have to do?

Sunday, July 03, 2005 10:13 AM
a whole rebuild. cryo treated parts. upgrade fly wheel and clutch. probaly more too it

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Sunday, July 03, 2005 10:20 AM
hondakillas right waaaay different computer. a re-flash, new cams, header, exhuast,
intake, up up it to 11:1 or even 12:1 and yes those numbers are doable. i've already
got everything i need on my mr.gasket desktop dyno figured out, part numbers, cam grinds, header type, and how much compression i can get away with on pump gas.
acording to one of my customers at work who builds trannys the transmission in our car should be good for about 350 hp before we hit a problem ( 5spd not sure about autos sorry ) stock clutch will start to slip around 300 - 325 and our axles he says are pretty beefy where they need to be and that we'll need new transmissions before we need axles.

by the way i'm looking at 232 hp at the flywheel which sould be about 210 - 220 at the wheels. nice huh? of corse thats with 93 octane gas

but do forget our stock rods go BOOM at about 275 so do yourself a favor ..... well yu should be able to figure it out.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Sunday, July 03, 2005 10:52 AM
jackalope wrote:acording to one of my customers at work who builds trannys the transmission in our car should be good for about 350 hp before we hit a problem

I'm sure the stock clutches can hold about 200+ HP but seriously...for how long. By the way, our Autos can handle MUCH more power than manuals without any modifications.

Sunday, July 03, 2005 11:00 AM
oh yeah well my 5spds alot funner! so

Sunday, July 03, 2005 11:05 AM
but if i reflash my computer..wont that affect the dreaded smog crap for cali?

Sunday, July 03, 2005 11:07 AM
btw..who in the hell reflashes them anyways..someone said there is one comapny that does..but wouldnt trust them..guess there idiots or something

Sunday, July 03, 2005 11:14 AM
dont know about cali emision stuff but here on the east coast its no prob.

and as for someone local to do it for you ??????? not a clue my fiend. hey wait ask karo he lives in so. cal. ! if anyone would know it should be him.

HEY KARO DO YOU KNOW ANYBODY WHO CAN RE-FLASH OUR COMPUTERS OVER THERE???? KARO HAY KARO ARE YOU HOME???

i dont know if karos home but hes the one to ask good luck.

Sunday, July 03, 2005 11:21 AM
Quote:

Tricky Stylez Online
Today 11:51 AM

ok..so I go "the man" which everyone around my area says "he knows"..asked him about flashing obd2s..and about my motor and my options for a build..he says his mustang was obd2 and put turbo on it..(which he does..ive seen it) he didnt have to flash it..said the computer guys told him that the obd2 actually will reset it self after you drive it once to acomidate what ever you did to make it work right..
is that true?
also told me with the right cams and 11:1 comp. piston in my 2.2 ecotech with shaved and ported head....and intake..with headers i could put out around 205hp-250hp..
is that true?
if it is im going to to getter done

WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG

do yourself a favor and don't ask that guy for advice anymore.

obd2 does NOT like seeing anything other than what its programmed to. It does to an extent 're-learn' certain mods, such as intake, free flowing exhaust, or larger injectors and minor things like that but only to a limited extent.

something as radical as adding boost is NOT something the computer will be happy with, and the same goes for radically increase compression.

firstly, there's many mechanical components you have to change for boost such as your MAP sensor... which stock doesn't even comprehend anything other than a vacuum signal. As soon as it starts to see boost your computer will throw your car into limp mode and that won't go away until you turn it off and restart it.

for raised compression, it'll do pretty much the same thing. You'll probably develop whats referred to as "phantom knock" which is caused by raised comp or aggressive cams... this issue has been posted about in the performance forum before... there's a decent fix for it, but I think a few people are still having problems.

My point is, OBDII will give you the double bird if you try raising comp or boosting without doing some kind of piggy back computer control.

And there are the same computers used in different cars, but they're programmed differently. So even tho say, for the sake of argument, we have BOSCHE ECUs, a honda could have BOSCHE ecus too, but they wouldn't work on our car because our sensors have different tolerances, and the engines are different in almost every way.

OBDII is a universal standard of monitoring engine emissions and performance(not the fun kind... the "is your engine running right" kind). This is how they plug into any computer at inspection and can tell if its running right or not.

Sunday, July 03, 2005 11:54 AM
Quote:

My point is, OBDII will give you the double bird if you try raising comp or boosting without doing some kind of piggy back computer control.

And there are the same computers used in different cars, but they're programmed differently. So even tho say, for the sake of argument, we have BOSCHE ECUs, a honda could have BOSCHE ecus too, but they wouldn't work on our car because our sensors have different tolerances, and the engines are different in almost every way.

OBDII is a universal standard of monitoring engine emissions and performance(not the fun kind... the "is your engine running right" kind). This is how they plug into any computer at inspection and can tell if its running right or not.

OBD-II is an emissions standard set forth by the EPA. It is up to the manufacturer to determine how to meet those standards. Our cars have ECU's manufactured by Delphi. OBD-II has nothing to do with anything other than emissions. Nothing to do with sensors, nothing to do with how it runs and its performance. The standard for sensors and performance is set forth by the SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) in a series of documents that begin with a J (J1850, J2190, etc). These standards set forth things like how scan tools need to communicate, and how the software should be designed.

But even after all that, not every manufacturer needs to use the same sensors. If there was something better out there than a heated O2 sensor to monitor catalyst efficiency, then they could use that, but currently there isn't, so thats what everybody uses.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Sunday, July 03, 2005 12:53 PM
Tricky Stylez wrote:btw..who in the hell reflashes them anyways..someone said there is one comapny that does..but wouldnt trust them..guess there idiots or something

For our computers (on 3rd gen J-bodies, 96 and up) there is no company that can chip your car and it is not possible to chip them either. Currently 1 company that will re-flash your computer, which is www.jbodyperformance.com. I don't remember the price off hand but they are a trust worthy company. The only thing I don't like is how they would know if you need X amount of fuel and X timing if it's not on your car to be tuned?

In the making, GM is coming up with re-flashes but that is for when you need it cause you have are boosted. They claim that this re-flash is best option if you are boosted, otherwise you'll have a bunch of headaches to tune your car correctly.

Also, Shifted was working with a company that was in the making of having a way to do a standalone system with a laptop (I believe).

The only other options are fuel management systems (if you need to change the fuel consumption) and a different ignition system to change your ignition timing.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search