msd confusion? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
msd confusion?
Friday, July 01, 2005 3:38 PM
does the msd dual tower interface module(part #8870)work with the msd coil packs on a 2000 2.4l or is this "module" not meant for my particular year and/or engine?

Re: msd confusion?
Friday, July 01, 2005 7:29 PM
ok sorry for the real dumb posts . i was under the impression that you could use msd coil packs(part# 8224)for a 2000 sunfire gt because iwas told by the performance shop i go tothat u could .however after taking apart my 2.4 cover and taking the coils out it would seem that these coils dont work they seem to be for the 2.2l do i ever feel like atotal retard ishould have look closer at the manual cause it says 2.3l&2.4l are (idi)intergrated direct ignition system and 2.2l is (dis) distributerless direct ignition system. i was sold something that dont work on my car unless there is a way to use the dis-2 coil paks for the 2.4l? if so tell me how please if not feel free to laugh at me.
Friday, July 01, 2005 8:22 PM
visit the Ny j bodies website.... you dont need the coil packs nor the adapters for the 2.4L, you can just wire it up to the stock coil pack itself which is under the IDI cover. theres directions there.

you can use the adapters and coil packs, but only if you want to remove the cover and run spark plug wires. then i would contact jetblackgt, as he was one i know of that did this...

otherwise, just visit the ny jbody site and check out the directions there.

Saturday, July 02, 2005 10:30 AM
if ya dont mind answering a dumb question is there a direct replacement for the whole ignition and coils for a 2000 2.4l
Saturday, July 02, 2005 10:47 AM
shawn choma wrote:if ya dont mind answering a dumb question is there a direct replacement for the whole ignition and coils for a 2000 2.4l

not unless you custom do it yourself, hence the reason i said if you want to run plug wires, contact jetblackgt.

Saturday, July 02, 2005 10:48 AM
or if you mean direct replacement as in the same thing you already have oem replacement, then yea you can get the same thing you have at any auto parts place.

Saturday, July 02, 2005 11:42 AM
much thanx for the help. now mabye i can finally get this stuff installed !
Saturday, July 02, 2005 11:45 AM
shawn choma wrote:much thanx for the help. now mabye i can finally get this stuff installed !

are you planning to keep the stock coils and idi cover?

Saturday, July 02, 2005 11:54 AM
i havent decided yet ... but im thinking ill keep the cover cause i painted it upand it looks great under the hood . but i dont really know which method is best i would rather go with the best set up than just looks . what do u suggest would be the better way to go ?
Saturday, July 02, 2005 1:15 PM
shawn choma wrote:i havent decided yet ... but im thinking ill keep the cover cause i painted it upand it looks great under the hood . but i dont really know which method is best i would rather go with the best set up than just looks . what do u suggest would be the better way to go ?

either will work roughly the same.

obviously if you used an upgraded coil pack (DEFINATELY not needed) you would get more longevity from it, but honestly both will produce a larger and multiple spark with the msd.

the easiest way to get started would be to wire up what you have now...

if you plan to get into it deep, then you can go with the 8224 and adapter block or take it a step futher and do a single coil for each cylinder.... but those arent really needed to have it work

Saturday, July 02, 2005 4:50 PM
yeah the thing is i already bought the 8224 coil packs so i guess its just a matter of using them or taking them back for refund.

Saturday, July 02, 2005 5:12 PM
oh another thing im havin trouble finding the ny j body website whats the web address
Saturday, July 02, 2005 5:18 PM
shawn choma wrote:oh another thing im havin trouble finding the ny j body website whats the web address

NY-JBODIES.ORG

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Saturday, July 02, 2005 5:58 PM
thanx for the site address. so with the set up they show u will need the msd interface module (part#8870) is this correct? or is it a different part #?
Saturday, July 02, 2005 6:22 PM
shawn choma wrote:yeah the thing is i already bought the 8224 coil packs so i guess its just a matter of using them or taking them back for refund.

someone on here will buy em, they are decent and cost effective replacement parts with a slight upgrade for any 2.2 ohv or 2200 owner

with the direction on ny jbodies, all you really need is what came with the msd dis 2 box itself...

Saturday, July 02, 2005 10:53 PM
i just might keep the coils in case ichange my mind but if i dont i can get all my money back at the shop its probably easier that way . will the stock coils last or will they just have a shorter life if i hook up the dis-2 ?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search