Exhaust dilema - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Exhaust dilema
Sunday, June 19, 2005 11:53 PM
Okay this is gonna be a somewhat long one but here goes. I want opinions

Well as it stands I live in an area called Winnemucca Nevada, A small rural town that doesn't really see much of anything even though we're on a major intersecion (I-80 and Highway 95)

I want a new exhaust. There's only one exhaust shop in town and they charge a lot for pretty meager work (had a few friends do theirs there. rattles.. doesn't fit well. Overpriced)

They want to charge me 325-350 for parts and labor.

So then I thought. What if I bought my own exhaust and catalytic converter and did all the work myself. Easy right? An exhaust I like on car customs costs about 300 bucks. and a high flow cat from justmagnaflow.com will run about 65 bucks.....

so all in all we're looking in the vicinity of 400 bucks almost. and I think to myself "No way" I've seen a lot of members post what they paid for a custom exhaust and it's half of what I would end up paying!

and my final dilema. I am going to be moving to san diego in a few weeks. I was thinking just save my money and find a good exhaust shop down there that won't gouge me. And get that done there.

What do you think? Hopefully this story isn't very confusing. I'm just tempted to buy the exhaust and be done with it. it's frustrating personally I think I should wait. but I just want to see what the community thinks is the best course of action.

Premium since Tuesday, May 24, 2005 10:19 Pacific time. Support the .org people!

Re: Exhaust dilema
Monday, June 20, 2005 12:27 AM
It's really up to you if you want to get a custom one or a pre-made one. If I were you, I'd keep all my options open and wait till I got to San Diego and find performance shops around there and get prices on installations and custom mandrel pipe bending. Don't rush anything that your going to regret in the future.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Monday, June 20, 2005 12:29 AM
Save and wait.
I have about $550 in my exhaust, but thats header + hiflow cat + glasspack + magnaflow muffler + $75 tip + all labor.
Monday, June 20, 2005 12:34 AM
save and get it done right

Monday, June 20, 2005 12:50 AM
yeah. I might regret it later if I just go out and get a @!#$ job done on one of the most important parts of my car.

I just feel the need to compliment my new HO intake manifold with the exhaust system it deserves along with the cams that are sitting next to me at the moment.

Hopefully I'll meet some j-body owners down there that'll show me the ropes. better start looking in the regional forums.

Premium since Tuesday, May 24, 2005 10:19 Pacific time. Support the .org people!
Monday, June 20, 2005 1:05 AM
Inari wrote:Hopefully I'll meet some j-body owners down there that'll show me the ropes. better start looking in the regional forums.

Yeah, the regional forums are the best place to find local people. Good luck to you.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Monday, June 20, 2005 1:45 AM
Yeah I'm looking forward to moving down there. There's competition down there and people are always trying to attract more business by lowering prices. Problem is I'm just worried about getting a really butchered exhaust.

I've got about a week left here before I move. so I'll have to get back to you all once I do move.

Monday, June 20, 2005 9:03 AM
I know just the place to go to here in San Diego, Chula Vista actually. I'm in the South Bay area. Plus I know some local DSM guys that are killer at welding. I'm going to have one of them do me a turbo back exhaust.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search