Side pipes? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Side pipes?
Sunday, June 19, 2005 2:30 PM
Anyone ever try running side pipes exhaust on a Sunfire? I saw a nice lookin' newer Firebird a few nights ago with a nice set of side pipes. Just thought it look bad ass to see a sunfire with side pipes.

Re: Side pipes?
Sunday, June 19, 2005 2:36 PM
u know that would be cool lol, but where would u put the cat?

Beware the Rouge Dragon.
Sunday, June 19, 2005 2:41 PM
i have a side dump exhaust on my cavy. still has a cat in the same location as factory and dumps out the drivers side right in front of the rear axle

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Sunday, June 19, 2005 2:45 PM
I've seen Neon's like that looks cool. Although you can only have it on one side, remember, 4-clylinder.

Sunday, June 19, 2005 2:46 PM
if you make it they will like, who says you have to put the cat in the exact same spot? fab it and fab a side skirt to fit this, this could be cool to see
Sunday, June 19, 2005 3:19 PM
Would it have to only be one side?
Sunday, June 19, 2005 3:19 PM
Wouldn't it be possible to customize the piping so that you could have a side pipe on each side.
Sunday, June 19, 2005 3:21 PM
Hypsy do you have any pics of your dump pipe, I have been thinking of this for a while now also.
Sunday, June 19, 2005 3:25 PM
What about putting another pipe on the opposite side as a dummy. Only one pipe will actually be functional and the other just to even up the look.
Sunday, June 19, 2005 4:42 PM
weebel, you can get a y-pipe thru summit. fab it single-to-dual with side exits ahead of the rear tires. use catco honeycomb cats, thrush glasspack mufflers, and stainless steel (ss304) exaust piping...and yes it looks as good as it sounds!!!
Sunday, June 19, 2005 5:17 PM
Why wouldn't you be able to do 2 pipes? They make daul exhaust right.

New sig in the works

Sunday, June 19, 2005 8:44 PM
You can make any type of exhaust setup with a good welder.

I think in some states it's illegal to have dual exhaust setups if that's not how it came stock so check your local laws on that.

Besides that, I think most of the time, it doesn't come out looking right and becomes very difficult to pull off.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Sunday, June 19, 2005 9:57 PM
never heard of that law. Ignorant if its real.

1997 pontiac sunfire
2.2 OHV 2.4l coming soon
2.25 inch custom exhaust
WAI
RK Underdrive pulley
50 shot of NX
pacesetter header
Monday, June 20, 2005 12:32 AM
SunfireN2o wrote:never heard of that law. Ignorant if its real.

Well here in NJ, I have a friend who had it on his 04 cavalier and got caught with it and had to pay a fine. NJ sucks with car laws anyways...

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Monday, June 20, 2005 6:26 AM
Ya I know, but having dual exaust on an inline engine erks me for some reason. I had the idea that it would be cool the have a TRUE dual exaust on a 4-cylinder by fabbing up a coustom header, and running 2 cylinders through each exaust, then running them out the sides, but that would be a pain. I'de like to hear how it sounds though, and think of the flow.

Monday, June 20, 2005 9:07 AM
Weebel wrote:I had the idea that it would be cool the have a TRUE dual exaust on a 4-cylinder by fabbing up a coustom header, and running 2 cylinders through each exaust, then running them out the sides, but that would be a pain. I'de like to hear how it sounds though, and think of the flow.

That would sound like crap. 4 cylinder engines already have fewer exhaust pulses than v6/v8/whatever (odviously). If you were to split each of those into two seperate pipes, the pulses would be so far apart that they would really sound like crap.

Also, most dual exhaust (and especially that "true" setup) on any 4 cylinder would rob you of a ton of power. The exhaust pulses in any engine are critical for good flow of exhuast gasses, but that is especially true for inline engines. Most (if not all, I'm not 100% sure) 4 cylinder engines fire two cylinders at a time. Usually (not sure how it is on J's since I'm fairly new to the community) this would be 1/4 and 2/3 at the same times. If you were to make a split header for a 4 cylinder engine, the manifold would have to be split for cylinders 1/4 and 2/3. You would be halfing your exhaust pulses through each side, and slowing the exhaust gases that are exiting because the difference in pressure between the low ambient air outside the pipe and the high pressure of the leading edge of the exhaust pulse as it's exiting, is what is keeping your exhaust moving. This is basically only true on a naturally aspirated I4.

Thus, with all the screwed up flow that you'd be creating, you'd no longer have a header, but rather just a split manifold since the objective of any header is to scavange exhaust gasses from the combustion chamber, but mainly to allign the exhaust pulses together so that the leading edge can pull the rest of the pulses and keep your gasses moving efficently and quickly (try-y header, 4-to-1 header, 4-to-2-to-1 header, etc..... list goes on).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John Leahy
'01 Cavalier Z24 - 5Speed

http://www.maxthrottle.com
Tuesday, June 21, 2005 1:00 AM
the 180deg. tri-y header design also works pretty good.
summit sells the necessary piping and y-pipes, the flange can be fabricated.
of course you would need to design the path to work with the timing.
for example, if your timing is 1-2-3-4 you would have 1long to 2short, 3long to 4short,
2 and 4 to a y-pipe,single through the cat and muffler, y-pipe, then duals out ahead of rear tires. to round it off i would spend the dough and wrap the entire system with thermotec, and install a exaust dump before the cat. for added protection and power i would install A.R. tubes in the header flange, and a damper cone in the header y-pipe collector. i would use a honeycomb hi-flow cat, moroso spiral flow tube muffler. 1 5/8" exaust primaries, 2 1/2" collectors and rest of system and use powder coated ss304.
man thinkin' about all this makes me wanna go out and get wrenchin'!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search