Need serious CAM input!!! - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Need serious CAM input!!!
Sunday, June 19, 2005 12:40 AM
Ok guys, so I have Eco and was wondering if anyone knows how much overlap do stock cams have on this motor that is making me hurt running a Turbo??
I was told a lot.
And I was told not much.
I am running some high EGT's like 1600 at 9 psi
I have dynoed it at 11.8:1 A/F with 370's and 7:1 FMU on 75 psi of fuel pressure on WOT.
Everyone says that 310 should suport 10 psi, but are we talking about a T3/TO4E 10psi or a small 16G 10 psi??

Now, I came to conclusion that the compression is killing me and the overlap on the cams, so I am looking into the some adjustable cams gears.

The question is?? Is there a significant amount of overlap that I can get rid of to make my motor run cooler by advancing the exhaust and retarding the intake, or not?

Any other input about cams and stuff is welcome, and I think I can get some custom cams made from comp cams, but will it be worth it?
Thanks

Best time:"""11.946""" @ 114.73 mph @17psi 1.83--60"
11 second daily driver!!!!
Race Related 727-561-9440
Shop of choice for your 11 second J body!

Also, built bottom end and or top end LSJ and L61's available.
13's ----12's ----11's ----10's

Re: Need serious CAM input!!!
Sunday, June 19, 2005 5:06 AM
if i were to do anything id leave intake alone, maby advance it 1*... and retard exhaust 2*s......

stock overlap/diration with more lift would be your best bet.

is there any way you can see what kind of timing your pulling, or what your intake air temp is?
if i rember right it sounds like the same temps brian was geting with his LD-9.

chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Sunday, June 19, 2005 6:35 AM
If you have dynoed it and have a nice air/fuel at that psi, then I would not worry to much about it.
What is DJ's air/fuel he is running more boost, and seems to be running good, at least his times are. Your EGT's are not going to be the same as it was with your 2.4. Every set-up can have different EGT's. The Key is knowing what your air/fuel is to your EGT's.
Now I'm not saying you could not benefit from cam gears (I really think you could pick up from them), just it seems you are basing this off your EGT's.

FU Tuning

Sunday, June 19, 2005 8:26 AM
I am not trying to gain much from the cam gears just drop the temps down.
I am kinda basing it of the EGT's and you were if your motor ran the highest number on the damn gauge, makes you wonder weather you are melting stuff?
I check the spark plugs and they are fine, I mean to detonation or any sign of running lean or anything, but it is still kinda scary when your gauge shows something like that. lol
DJ doesn't have a Pyro gauge, but he is getting one pretty soon and I would not be suprised that he is running higher than me.

Also if I get the stock cam duration with more lift would only help move up my power band higher? I mean, it will not really benefit me much, is that the only thing I wanna do?
I am planning on raising the boost when I get some 440's, but if those EGT's were a little lower, like this makes me not wanna do it and melt the motor.

Thanks

Sunday, June 19, 2005 9:24 AM
wrong, with boost its ALL about lift, not duration, you need both to "move the powerband"

chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged

Sunday, June 19, 2005 10:58 AM
one thing to keep to mind is obviously the exhaust spools the turbo.... the heat of the exhaust makes it expande faster cause the turbo to spool faster... if your drop your EGT's alot you'll prolly see some more turbo lag, I'm to tired to explain in full detail what I'm trying to say hahahah but i think you get the idea

Sunday, June 19, 2005 1:14 PM
Now all I am wondering if I eliminate the overlap the EGT's would be lower but is there OVERLAP to eliminate??

Or just EF it I'll get some low compression pistons.

Sunday, June 19, 2005 1:26 PM
oh, you have over lap, its how the intake vave scavagens, ...tell you what i learned the most from...
go to a book store, theres a book in transportation section called the "screats to supercharging, turbocharging and N2o."

it explains the fundmentals for how eatch works, and goes in to fine detal of compresser maping and injecter pulse whith and came timing.

its blue and has a mustang 5.0 on hte cover.

it helped me a great deal

chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged

Sunday, June 19, 2005 2:41 PM
Lol, I need to do it about cams and stuff, if I ever wanna make me a custom set. lol
Thanks man,

Sunday, June 19, 2005 4:17 PM
SunCavi_L61T3/T04E wrote:I am not trying to gain much from the cam gears just drop the temps down.
I am kinda basing it of the EGT's and you were if your motor ran the highest number on the damn gauge, makes you wonder weather you are melting stuff?
I check the spark plugs and they are fine, I mean to detonation or any sign of running lean or anything, but it is still kinda scary when your gauge shows something like that. lol
DJ doesn't have a Pyro gauge, but he is getting one pretty soon and I would not be suprised that he is running higher than me.

Also if I get the stock cam duration with more lift would only help move up my power band higher? I mean, it will not really benefit me much, is that the only thing I wanna do?
I am planning on raising the boost when I get some 440's, but if those EGT's were a little lower, like this makes me not wanna do it and melt the motor.

Thanks

I know when Josh had his cavy his nice sweet spot was 1400, or 1450 and his air/fuel was prefect.

FU Tuning

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search