My review of LZM Stage 2 cams for the Eco. - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
My review of LZM Stage 2 cams for the Eco.
Saturday, June 18, 2005 4:20 PM
1. The Install:

It wasnt that hard. I didnt do it, rather a technician did. So thats why it wasnt hard. He had never worked on a ECO before so it was all new to him. Install took a little around 2 hrs of actual work. He used a little of the install that DarkStars wrote and the shop manual.
He didnt have to do all the steps either. It made me a little nervous, but I trust the guy so no problems. Basically he marked the gears at TDC. and with the tensioner out swapped one cam at a time. Pretty simple.

2. The Results:

Started it up and it settled into a high idle, then idled down to a nice lope. I eyed the CEL and it was not on. A lifter refused to pump up, but did after the test drive. I drove the vehicle hard from the first chance. I wouldnt say I got the 15 hp claimed, more like half. First and Second feel good with a little loss of low end, which is made up and then some above 3K. Third gear is the best along with fourth. I guess the powerband and gearing really work to show the power. It pulls VERY hard. I am not gonna bull@!#$ and say I break traction........but I seriously do feel a VERY strong gain till redline.

I have drive the vehicle since around 1:00 today in all sorts of traffic and put some miles on it, from going on HWY 70 to Newport and back to downtown Morehead City. Still at this time I have had no problems or CEL. I am SO knocking on wood right now.

Overall I purchased these cams from a member here and have had no regrets so far. I have not done anything to the vehicle so far as in prep. for the cam. I did route the vac line to the manifold and am running 93 octane. Other than that......no knock sensor trick or vac cannister.

I dont have alot of the mods the big boys have or had like QBE or DarkStars.........just a 2.25 mandrel bend exhaust with a Dynomax muffler, PS 4-1 header, Solid upper and lower mounts, AEM CAI, ported and half shafted TB, other little stuff so far as engine mods go.

I will update this thread to see what happens.

Chris

2006 Cobalt SS I/H/E ZZP S2 HPT 2.8/60's Etc...13.8@105(I need to learn how to launch)

Re: My review of LZM Stage 2 cams for the Eco.
Saturday, June 18, 2005 5:03 PM
check to make sure your CEL light isnt burnt out.

im surprised, most everyone gets CELs with the LZ cams.
Saturday, June 18, 2005 5:23 PM
Ha......yeah I thought that. I comes on for a second when you start it up, then goes out like normal.

2006 Cobalt SS I/H/E ZZP S2 HPT 2.8/60's Etc...13.8@105(I need to learn how to launch)
Sunday, June 19, 2005 9:03 AM
Still no CEL......pulling harder.

Sunday, June 19, 2005 9:30 AM
and who sells these cams, if any one knoows. im thinking about getting them for my 02 eco

Beware the Rouge Dragon.
Sunday, June 19, 2005 9:34 AM
www.levelzeromotorsports.com

Sunday, June 19, 2005 9:49 AM
thanks, exspensive but thanks lol

Beware the Rouge Dragon.
Sunday, June 19, 2005 4:36 PM
Get that thing dynoed. I am very suspicious of any LZM Cams. So I would love to see a dyno graph!

2004 Cavalier
13.2@105........
Mods...
BFG Drag Radials
Saab Turbo kit
2.5 exhaust, w/cutout
Spec Stage 2+ Clutch
Sunday, June 19, 2005 7:01 PM
Still no CEL. Lope is pretty cool and it seems to pull a bit harder in all gears now. Dyno? Yep would like to do that. We will see whats what.

Tuesday, June 21, 2005 4:59 PM
Still no CEL. Pulls good.

Tuesday, June 21, 2005 11:33 PM
A dyno run would be pointless without a base for comparison.

Do you mean polyurethane mounts?

|| Click my sig to visit my Cardomain page | Omaha Racing | NRSCCA ||

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search