Catback install tips - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Catback install tips
Sunday, June 12, 2005 4:30 PM
I'm planning to replace the stock exhaust on my 2003 Sunfire this week, and I have a few questions. I'm installing a 2.5 inch stainless steel catback that comes in two parts and uses the stock rubber hangers.
-are there any online guides specific to the Sunfire?
-I read one guide where a guy used a tube of "Permatex Ultra Copper" to seal the flange after the catalytic. Is that recommended to stop leaks? Or do most people just bolt the flange together dry?
-what torque is recommended on the 3 flange bolts?
-is the stock exhaust difficult to remove on a driveway (i.e., no hoist) without cutting it in half?
-are there any tips or pitfalls that wouldn't be obvious to the average person?
-and finally, is there any resale market for a stock exhaust?

Thanks a lot!

Re: Catback install tips
Sunday, June 12, 2005 5:44 PM
- i've never seen one but then again i've never searched for one, i dont have a sunfire
- best bet is to try to get a gasket at your local auto parts store for the size of the flange. i believe there is a tube of something that you can put on there to kind of "make" a gasket but i dont know the name of it. if its what you mentioned, that would probably work fine.
- i dont know if there's a specific number to torque the bolts to, but if it was me, i'd use nylon lock nuts and/or lock washers on the ends of the bolts and tighten it until i know they're not going to come loose, and they wont because of the nuts and washers.
- without cutting it in half, i would have to say yes it'll be pretty hard to take it apart, and thats aside from the rusted bolts on the flange after the cat. your best bet is to cut it right before the bend to go up and over the axle.
- if the exhaust system includes all the hangers on the proper places and a clamp for where the two pieces join together, then it should be pretty easy to do. take out the old one, put in the new one in the same spot. just make sure you jack the rear end high enough, and put jackstands on both sides of the car for support. thats a lot of weight you do not want to fall on you!
- i would say probably not, but try putting it on ebay....you never know!

hope that helps

Monday, June 13, 2005 9:51 AM
for exhaust....red permatex...i'd recommend getting a gasket AND red permatex...but red permatex will do just fine.

Monday, June 13, 2005 11:30 AM
you have to cut it or take your axle out... your choice.

"There is no point in looking fast if your not."

Monday, June 13, 2005 11:50 AM
Thanks for all the wisdom.
Should I use some Red Permatex in the compression joint that clamps together to join the two stainless sections of pipe?
Monday, June 13, 2005 1:49 PM
I hope its not the one off ebay for 200 bux cuz it isn't gunna fit.

2012 HD VRSCF
2010 Ford Explorer
2006 Ford Ranger
2004 Chevy Cavalier
Monday, June 13, 2005 2:44 PM
Raymond Fritz wrote:Thanks for all the wisdom.
Should I use some Red Permatex in the compression joint that clamps together to join the two stainless sections of pipe?

i wouldn't...if you have any leaks get muffler mender...autozone

Monday, July 04, 2005 8:47 PM
s there any difference between the bends on a 2.4 as opposed to the 2.2 from the cat back.....never compared them but they should be the same right......

nobody around me has a mandrel bender and 2.2 catbacks r cheaper than 2.4 catbacks

thanks
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search