strange looking intake - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
strange looking intake
Sunday, June 12, 2005 10:24 AM
I was looking around the internet for an intake, not wanting to spend $200 for one i found this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=7980048246&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

but it does not look like it would fit a 2004 2.2 ecotec cavalier to me, there just does not seem to be enoughf bends in the pipe to get the filter to the normal spot under the hood. does anylon have any ideas, or have any of you used one?

BTW on a side topic does anyone have a link to a homebuilt intake?

Re: strange looking intake
Sunday, June 12, 2005 10:38 AM
The small bend will go on your TB and the longer one with the bend at the end will attach to the other one and go right behind the battery. Seems good to me.

WITH THIS AIR INDUCTION KIT, YOUR VEHICLES WILL GAIN UP TO 9 -13 HORSEPOWER AND 7-10 ft/lb TORQUE DEPENDING ON THE TUNING AND CAR CONDITION

Don't believe that...remember we can't tune our cars...and 13 HP is a @!#$ load for our cars.

Sunday, June 12, 2005 10:46 AM
Actually, looking at it I don't think it would work. The pipe attached to the TB needs to be longer, with another bend on the end. Then the other pipe can come up to it and it would work. And it doesn't include any hosing for that, I don't even know what it's called...that like nipple that comes off the engine...?!?! I'm so incompetent.

Sunday, June 12, 2005 12:09 PM
i agree with both of you, first i really dont care about HP gain, i know its dumb but i just wanted to give my car that throaty sound. second i agree with jason, it just does not look like it will fit. I tryed emailing the seller but he has not resopnded yet, the only thing i can think of it that that is just a generic picture and not the real one.
Sunday, June 12, 2005 12:30 PM
that intake connects to the air box that sits on top of the TB ...Here's a pic (my fiance has it on her cav)

Sunday, June 12, 2005 1:25 PM
dont really think that would help performance any. maybe sound better but airflow is killed with that box on there.

Sunday, June 12, 2005 1:47 PM
If you have some knowledge you'd know that it's plain useless to pay alot for an intake and even the setup shown above would be good. The most Hp you'll get out of the intake is 2-3 hp. There was no difference between a drop in and a cut airbox Vs a CAI on an Ho. Even if it connect to the stock airbox, it will give you the same gain.

By a K&N drop in and be it. Unless you go for the look, it's plain useless.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Sunday, June 12, 2005 2:36 PM
thanks red04cavy for the picture it was helpful now i know that is just a rip off.

Mfk-223 are you saying that
this
http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=33-2143
and this
http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=69-4510TP
would do the same thing?
Sunday, June 12, 2005 7:20 PM
And Patrick, the two Jason's at the top are the same person...ME...I just wish we had an edit button or something. But yea, don't get it now, it's pointless.

Sunday, June 12, 2005 7:41 PM
If you drill a few more hole at the bottom of the stock air box or cut the top, you'll see a gain that will be pretty much the same. -1 -1.5 hp.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Sunday, June 12, 2005 8:36 PM
dude, its cheap for a reason . . save up some money and get a real one like AEM or Inen .. . when you go cheap you spend more

Sunday, June 12, 2005 8:47 PM
bx cav wrote:dude, its cheap for a reason . . save up some money and get a real one like AEM or Inen .. . when you go cheap you spend more

yeah it is cheap for a reason.....i agree with you there...its cheap because your not getting way overcharged for a name, i could be wrong but it seems to me an intake is an intake. as long as you can get it to fit decently it will work as good as any other. buying a cheap one may require a lil bit more work to fit it but in my mind its worth it to save the $

96 cavi'/WI j's
Sunday, June 12, 2005 9:05 PM
Hmm what if you bought that one but then removed the black airbox in front of the throttle body and added some metal pipe to that Intake?
Sunday, June 12, 2005 10:09 PM
Yes an intake is just a intake. When you pay 200 dollars for the AEM your buying the name, thats all.

1997 pontiac sunfire
2.2 OHV 2.4l coming soon
2.25 inch custom exhaust
WAI
RK Underdrive pulley
50 shot of NX
pacesetter header
Sunday, June 12, 2005 10:27 PM
You do know that e-bay ads use generic pictures for most car part ads, right?

Originally posted by MSD
I have an 03 5-speed Cavy, and when I race.. I shift at 6300-6500. That method (coupled with the fact that the guy probably couldn't drive for @!#$) allowed me to keep up with/have a slight lead on an 04 Mustang GT.

Monday, June 13, 2005 8:06 AM
ive heard that if you take a 2.4 intake it can be made to work on the eco...try that them they have cheap ones in ebay..phil
Monday, June 13, 2005 9:58 AM
vtech power wrote:You do know that e-bay ads use generic pictures for most car part ads, right?

^beat me to it.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search