MSD on Ecotec update - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
MSD on Ecotec update
Friday, June 10, 2005 10:12 AM
The setup was hooked onto Quickblackecotec's car late last night along with teh cam sync part , there is some good news and some ok news but no bad news

Good news setup hooked up and no threatening codes, no misfires, ran mighty strong

Ok news, the cam sync does stop the 340 code from coming up , but when its hooked up inside the plug boot the cylinder wasnt firing right, just need to find a better way of tapping the 4th plug signal

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Re: MSD on Ecotec update
Friday, June 10, 2005 11:57 AM
cool , qbe said you guys were installing stuff last night

Friday, June 10, 2005 12:20 PM
i dont think you need that cam sync thing.

and i dont think the cable goes INSIDE the boot?? i think it goes on the outside

-DJ

Friday, June 10, 2005 12:26 PM
well on the outside it would be wrapped around rubber which is as good as sticking it out the window in the air its not touching anything, it has to be hitting the contact to the plug to pick up the signal

Friday, June 10, 2005 1:42 PM
according to the instructions Matt it is supposed to be just wrapped around the wire to catch a signal, we read that part earlier.. we just got done wrapping it around the boot and it worked for a while, and then we re-ran all the wires amde things look pretty and we think we knocked the connection loose because it through the code, but Joe had to get going

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Friday, June 10, 2005 1:57 PM
that is very good news

Friday, June 10, 2005 3:46 PM
IT WORKS!!!!

I completely bypassed the icm and wired the brown/white wire from the cam sync DIRECTLY to the idi plug and NO codes, NO pending codes and the car sounds so much smoother and runs very strong

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Friday, June 10, 2005 3:53 PM
well thanks to NuStyle for his great idea of bypassing the stock icm and explaining about the signals and stuff

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Friday, June 10, 2005 4:11 PM
GET PICS phil !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

we all want and need them

as well as the complete how to to go with the pics

Friday, June 10, 2005 4:24 PM
pics wont do it any better

and besides rodimus did a majority of the work, nustyle and I just troubleshooted and Joe (nustyle) figured it out just this afternoon

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Friday, June 10, 2005 4:42 PM
I'm working on a how to site right now as we speak, the install on Phil's was very much a prototype using what I learned on my car, and what was kinda learned along the way lol

Rest assured though its so much easier than what was previously thought ya gotta wonder why it hasnt been done for years. But you will all see, and for those going to the bash you can get a first hand look at mine

Friday, June 10, 2005 4:50 PM
Rodimus Prime wrote:thought ya gotta wonder why it hasnt been done for years.

ahem i was the first

-DJ

Friday, June 10, 2005 5:08 PM
anyone gonna do a full write up on the install then so others can benefit from this?

Friday, June 10, 2005 8:22 PM
im working on that and no nobody in this thread was first, it was done years ago by another

Friday, June 10, 2005 9:59 PM
The reason you only need to wrap the wire around the boot is because when you make a loop of wire and pass an electric current it creates a magnetic field whihc in turn sends a pulse to the cam sync generator. When we originally had the wire in the boot it was creating a short and the cyclinder wasn't firing.

As far as hooking up the generator the right way to get it to work just required some thinking. The fourth output coming off of the coilpack housing is the CSI pickup. Inside the ICM it takes the CSI pick up signal and turns it into a digital signal so that the computer can read it as a CMS sensor (crankshaft position sensor). Once i figured that out i told phil to just bypass the whole ICM since it was just getting confused by the cam sync signal and to hook up the cam sync generator write to the harness going into the ICM so that the signal goes right to the PCM.

All in all it's working great so far. Everything is work fantastic just have that misfire code that like to pop up every now then still.

Friday, June 10, 2005 10:02 PM
he means camshaft position sensor not crankshaft, oopsies

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Saturday, June 11, 2005 12:59 AM
Right when Rodimus gets it working I'm doing show stuff to my car....bastard

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Saturday, June 11, 2005 7:07 AM
sorry dude lol would have figured it out sooner if I had the money to buy the cam sync part myself, props to Phil for stepping up to the plate and buying all the needed parts and letting me attempt this on his car

Saturday, June 11, 2005 7:21 AM
no problem,. props to you and joe for figuring it out

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Saturday, June 11, 2005 3:47 PM
Way to go..props to you guys keep us posted.

Thats Him Officer The WICKED One.

Monday, June 13, 2005 11:51 PM
where is the write up ???

and pics ??

Tuesday, June 14, 2005 6:27 AM
great news! what all parts did you use for this the cam sync generator and the dis-2 that all?

Cant wait to get these parts and start it up on mine. How long for total install?

http://www.aplusperformance.com
http://www.modified-motorsports.com
Tuesday, June 14, 2005 12:45 PM
30 min to a half hour, as previously mentioned web site with full specs and photos and how to is in the works however my time is limited right now with the bash coming up , ive had some major issues come up with the car i hope to have fixed by this weekend

Tuesday, June 14, 2005 8:44 PM
i had it going fine for a day.. but then my CEL came on.... i probably just need to get a better wrap with that pickup wire from the cam sync

Wednesday, June 15, 2005 7:02 AM
i may have found a solution for a better connection onto the 4th plug wire, i need to get me a cam sync so i can take pics of everything

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search