header - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
header
Monday, May 23, 2005 3:02 PM
heyeveryone whats up . i'm tryin to look for a head for my 2001 pontiac sunfire 2200 . the 2 i'm looking at is pacesetter and obx... whats the differenct in the 2 ? the price is around the same and i know the paint will chip off and all ... but someone told me its just shippin paint so i will strip the paint and either get it cromed or paint it with high heat aluminum paint . but right now i am running no cat and 2 1/2 piping from that . so is there any difference in installing these headers? any problems or anything ? any info is appreciated

Re: header
Monday, May 23, 2005 3:11 PM
I take it both headers are the 4 into 1 design. installation is pretty simple, just pull your starter off and the go right up in and onto your studs. the only let down is you will have to splice and extend your O2 sensor down to the collector that will throw codes if you use that crappy wire they send with the header. get some 14 gauge primary wire from a local auto parts store and sauder the wires together. I had no codes after doing that, the wire has less resitance due to the special heat coating they have applied to them. Once your done with installing the headers just go on over to a local muffler shop and have them weld the collector tube to the exhaust pipe. hope that is enough info for ya. Oh and both headers are pretty much the same to me.

4 months in Korea = 17" rims
4 months in Iraq = Bodykit
Not having mommy and daddy pay for everything = priceless
Monday, May 23, 2005 3:13 PM
ok cool ... thanks for gettin back so soon man i apreciate it . but i heard the obx hits somethin under the car . but i dunno if they bolt strait up then i will get whatever one comes first or that i see . since they the same i guess it don't matter .
Monday, May 23, 2005 3:49 PM
4-2-1 > 4-1 just in my opinion. i like having the low end power. you definitely shouldn't have any problems finding them for a decent price. try and find a ceramic coated one if you can, they are out there. a tad more expensive, but better gains and no chipping.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Monday, May 23, 2005 4:02 PM
my first header were the pacesetter 4 into 1 with that crappy black paint on them. I took some toulene and cleaned that stuff off. then I just got the ceramic paint from autozone did a few coats and baked them in the oven. they worked very good after that, kept the heat down reasonable but it sucks when you get under the hood and try to keep engine cleaner off of them. I have now a set of stainless steel with internal tube ceramic paint. cost around $50 bucks from this guy who has a powder coating process but they work awesome for under hood heat dispertion.

4 months in Korea = 17" rims
4 months in Iraq = Bodykit
Not having mommy and daddy pay for everything = priceless
Monday, May 23, 2005 4:52 PM
Quote:

i'm tryin to look for a head for my 2001 pontiac sunfire 2200

You mean header, not head...2 different things but I know what you meant.

Quote:

the 2 i'm looking at is pacesetter and obx... whats the differenct in the 2 ?

There are lots of people with the pacesetter setup and they say they like it. I personally would chose Weapon-R over them cause like their products. If you want to check out their prices go to www.definedparts.com and check them out. They are pretty decent prices there. I know someone who has them on their car and no problems, they noticed good power gains and it sounds good

Quote:

i know the paint will chip off and all ...

With the pacesetter, if you get the "black" version it will come right off. If you did want pacesetter, you should get the ceramic coated one.

Quote:

i heard the obx hits somethin under the car

I haven't heard many people actually having the obx header so I couldn't give you a straight answer to if thats true or not.

Quote:

i dunno if they bolt strait up then i will get whatever one comes first or that i see . since they the same i guess it don't matter .

If your not sure, take it to a pro. It's better to do that than messing up your own car and having exhaust leaks cause you didn't do it properly.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Monday, May 23, 2005 5:58 PM
considering weapon r and obx just copied other companies headers

the long tube 4-1 does everything the 4-2-1 header does and makes more top end

get the ceramic coated headers do not get the painted 1's

the ceramic is a htermal berrir which helps to keep heat inside the header , which also helps to keep the temp down under the hood , also it helps to potect the header from rust and corrosion longer

Monday, May 23, 2005 6:46 PM
Do those header wrap things do the same thing as the ceramic on the ceramic coated headers?

2.2 OHV 2.4l coming soon
2.25 inch custom exhaust
WAI
RK Underdrive pulley
50 shot of NX
pacesetter header
Monday, May 23, 2005 9:12 PM
SunfireN2o wrote:Do those header wrap things do the same thing as the ceramic on the ceramic coated headers?

not necessarily. header wrap can leak in moisture and cause your header to crack. most people who have tried wrapping their headers have ended up with cracked headers. it's a better idea to just get a ceramic coated header.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search