someone with a bult 2.2 please help(or anyone else - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
someone with a bult 2.2 please help(or anyone else
Thursday, April 28, 2005 1:43 PM
i've been trying to find bolt on for my 2.2 for a little and im having no luck. im trying to get the most out of it i can and try to start building it up for wheni get boost next year. right now i have an intake and im getting headers and catback soon, but thats not what im asking about. im having a hard time trying to find a flywheel, cams, and a pulley set. it seems everything i find is for a z24. i just want some suggestions from other people that have a built 2.2 on what to get and where to get stuff. any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Re: someone with a bult 2.2 please help(or anyone
Thursday, April 28, 2005 1:52 PM
I am busy cleaning my place right now

But I will hook you up, I have EVERYTHING replaced in my motor, only bolts are stock

Thursday, April 28, 2005 2:02 PM
you can get the cam here
clutch and flywheel they are all the way at the bottom
crank pulley

happy shopping

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Thursday, April 28, 2005 4:52 PM
if u are going to turbo it dont waste money on a header.
Thursday, April 28, 2005 5:43 PM
^ wont be getting a turbo until 2 or 3 years because of college, i just want to start building the engine up now

Friday, April 29, 2005 5:39 AM
thanks tim and thanks lowfire for hooking me up sometime, i appreciate it

Friday, April 29, 2005 8:30 AM
your welcome. always happy to help out a fellow club member

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Friday, April 29, 2005 10:52 AM
I would suggest the Cavalier Connection Alternator and Crank pullies as well. I had them on my car when I owned it and gave me some good results. What kind of header are you planning on running? Pacesetter has a nice 4-1 design that installed pretty easy.

You can also pick up a 59mm throttle body from RSM. You can send out your stock one and get your core charge back if you wish.

Another easy mod you could invest in are some roller rockers, there should be plenty of threads lurking around talking about the specs and where to get them from. The first thread in the Performance FAQ should have the link.

Hope that helps.

Have a good one,
Justin

BEWARE THE WHALE TAIL
Saturday, April 30, 2005 10:02 AM
when you put the 59 mm throttle body is it a direct bolt on or does tuning need to be done? Planning on doing this mod within next month but wondering what extra work may need to be done after its hooked up.

2.2 OHV 2.4l coming soon
2.25 inch custom exhaust
WAI
RK Underdrive pulley
50 shot of NX
Saturday, April 30, 2005 5:18 PM
so what is the biggest engine upgrade are ya'll running on your 2.2's cause i have a 2002 2.2/2200 cavalier and i plan on gettin my engine bulit but like he said i want the most i can get with no kind of boost( yet ).
Saturday, April 30, 2005 5:45 PM
ERICA wrote:so what is the biggest engine upgrade are ya'll running on your 2.2's cause i have a 2002 2.2/2200 cavalier and i plan on gettin my engine bulit but like he said i want the most i can get with no kind of boost( yet ).

realistically what do you mean "biggest upgrade"

turbo rocket boosters or something?

usually when you build an engine up, you attempt to replace and upgrade any moving part inside of it. make it bigger or make it stronger. theres no one single part that dominates the rest unless you half arse build an engine

(example someone putting in a cam made for top fuel, and leave the rest of the engine stock)

you can pretty much upgrade as much as you want. sink 10,000$ or more into it.

the more money you spend the faster you will go...so far, no one has reached a limit on any of the gm engines since no one really is made out of money.

if you are gonna do an engine rebuild, def be realistic about it, and first and foremost learn how engines work. if you have to buy a book and read or go to how stuff works and get a base then read even more online.

mainly so that machine shops and other places dont screw you outta money selling you faux performance parts when they really are stock replacements. a while back on here when this site first started many newbs paid double for 3 angle valve jobs which are stock on most engines...

bust asking for "the best this" and "the best that" basically puts a giant "newb print on your forehead when dealing with some machine shops. they WILL take advantage of you for it as well if they can.

i'm pretty much near done with my engine rebuild and its been over a year in the process, but i took the time did my research and asked tech question more than "whats the best" type questions and in the end i look back, i didnt get screwed over.

theres isnt a best, many parts do the same work, some overpriced, some are a deal.

there isnt a biggest engine upgrade, besides physically....the crank, or a block.

theres more than one part to the engine so it would be beneficial for anyone looking to do this, to be realistic, learn about the engine, or in the least fully how an engine works, and then visit sites in the FAQ and read the FAQ (cause with the amount of repetitive questions still on this site nearly 6 years later, most say they do, but dont really) for tips and small things that WiLL and can add up to save you money down the road.

i dont think many want to be the ones with 2000$ with basic bolt on parts (intake headers and exhaust) and only shaving a few tenths from their drag race times since thats what most think only matters, and then complain how they cant be faster etc, when with 2000$ you can be pretty much done with a complete engine rebuild.

and mine only cost 2200$ ironically.

http://www.angelfire.com/md/TOWSONFTBLPLYR/PROject2200.html

if you remain realistic about it, anyone here can accomplish a successful rebuild. but many tend to get in to far over their heads or dont do the research and end up paying close to 3000-4000$ for stuff that should be half that...

so g'luck and def do your reasearch. theres more than enough posts on this forum alone to get most through the process.

Sunday, May 01, 2005 2:31 PM
port & poilish everything,mill the head, roller rockers. putting a bigger t/b on pre 2200 engines you need a custom upper intake manifold made.

for the 2200 engine you can put in the older 2.2 cam to get a higher lift

cavaliers been laid to rest
The saturn is being born
a new cavalier is in the mist
Sunday, May 01, 2005 4:29 PM
Syn wrote:port & poilish everything,mill the head, roller rockers. putting a bigger t/b on pre 2200 engines you need a custom upper intake manifold made.

for the 2200 engine you can put in the older 2.2 cam to get a higher lift

doesnt really work like that. timing isnt the same.

Sunday, May 01, 2005 9:17 PM
like the build event, let us know when u get it running. I should have mine running hopefully by the end of the week.

Monday, May 02, 2005 7:31 AM
Wow art, i read that entire page you made on your engine rebuild, very nice man and thanks for the usful info. It gave me a new outlook on what i want to do.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search