2.4 ecotec - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.4 ecotec
Thursday, April 28, 2005 2:42 PM
Was reading though a magazine I had laying around and came accross an article about chevys new HHR that they are planing to bring out in 2006. It is based on the Cobalt frame but is more like a SUV which I think would be about the size of a pt crusier. One of the optional engines listed in the article is a 2.4 ecotec with 170 hp and 170 lb/ft. Has anyone heard anything else about these engines? I am thinking of trying to find one once they hit the street as that would be the only motor I would swap my current 2.4 for. Any and all info about the 2.4 eco would be graetly helpful.

Re: 2.4 ecotec
Thursday, April 28, 2005 2:54 PM
well itsn ot out yet. so i dont think anybody has any real useful info about that engine. i know its going to have VVT but thats it

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Thursday, April 28, 2005 3:19 PM
I saw one on Sunday. It looked pretty bad ass. Didn't get to see the engine though.

Thursday, April 28, 2005 4:25 PM
That engine is supposed to be in the 2006 Saturn Ion-3 coupe (not the redline).. I'm waiting to see.. If it's true, that's the car I'm going to get.

Dark blue 2002 Z24, 2.4 Ltr.
Thursday, April 28, 2005 9:13 PM
Displacement: 2384cc
Bore x stroke: 88mm x 98mm
Valvetrain: Dual Overhead camshafts, 4 vavles per cylinder
Valve Lifters: Hydraulic roller finger follower
Compressin ratio: 10.6:1
Firing Order: 1-3-4-2
Fuel System: Sequential port fuel injection
Rocommended fuel: Unleaded regular
peak horsepower: 170 hp (127kW)
peak torque: 170 lb-ft (230 Nm)

Materials:
cylinder block: cast aluminum
cylinder head: cast aluminum

component descriptions:
throttle type: electronic controle
ignition system: coil-on-plug

ADVANCED ELECTRONIC CONTROLES

A powerfull, integrated network
An all-new Engine Controle Module (ECM) leverages 32-bit processing power, 32 megabytes of flash memory, and 32 kilobytes of external RAM to deliver optimal performance. The ECM also has a high-speed controller area network (CAN) to precisley integrate with the vehicle modules that controle the anti-lock braking and adaptive cruise controle systems.

The ECM also enables GM's Oil Life System, which calculates oil life based on oit temperatures, driving cycles, vehicle loads and coolant temperature. The oil life system usually reduces the number of recommended oil changes, which saves both money and the environment.

But what I've heard is that on the Cobalt it's only available on the Cobalt LT, which will only be an automatic, which sucks cause I'd still like to have a powerfull engine, but not necessarily have to buy the SS Supercharged. (And I despise automatics)
Thursday, April 28, 2005 9:19 PM
I had downloaded the brochures a while ago, but GM has since changed their website, so I couldn't find where I got them from. But after typing that out I did find them so here it is. Hope that was of some help.

http://www.gm.com/automotive/gmpowertrain/events/racing/ecotec_24L.pdf

http://www.gm.com/automotive/gmpowertrain/engines/ecotec/index.htm
Friday, April 29, 2005 12:10 AM
four coil packes w/ individual cassettes instead of two like ours

oil jets for the pistons

i think it will be a sound engine
just pricey
and you need the pcm from it to get it to work
or a stang alone

Friday, April 29, 2005 1:50 AM
Why not just stroke the 2.2?

“Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that’s even remotely
true.

Cannon fodder is my daddy.
Friday, April 29, 2005 10:17 AM
cuz the 2.4 have vvti

and they didnt just stroke it, it also has a bigger bore
not that much more stroke at all

2.4 has oil jets for the bottom of the pistons

Friday, April 29, 2005 12:14 PM
Thanks for the links Jonathan. And L61 Your right and stand alone was already a part of the plan.
Friday, April 29, 2005 4:58 PM
Don't quote me, but I think I read that the 2.4 eco is going to be in both the new Pontiac Solstice and the Saturn Sky roadsters. With that power/weight ratio, those cars are gonna HAUL.

Monday, May 02, 2005 6:33 PM
will if fit into a 2.4l 97 cav with no modifications?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search