Coil Housing Issues - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Coil Housing Issues
Thursday, April 28, 2005 9:57 AM
Hey all Im new to the site. My question is, is that every year, the coil housing that my spark plugs set in shorts out. It starts by my car missing and then gets down to the point of not really firing at all. It happens once a year religiously and Im tired of not getting it fixed permanately. The biggest issue is that the part its self (Housing/Lid) only carry 30-90 day warranties so of course I have to pay to replace and have it fixed (400-525 bucks each time). I drive a 96 Sunfire GT and would love to know if others have seen this issue and if so, how they permanately fixed it. Thanks all...great site...look foward to learning from you guys...

Re: Coil Housing Issues
Thursday, April 28, 2005 10:40 AM
why don't you try buying msd blaster 2 coil packs from

www.howellautomotive.com

i have them in my car they work good

and you should install the coil packs your self they are easy two bolts on each coil pack and there are only two packs in your car. for a grand total of 4 bolts

just make sure your car is off and you unplug the spark plug wires as you go so you don't get them confused

oh btw the coil packs are something like 98 bucks i beleive

2000 Dark metallica green cavalier. (2.2 2200) pace setter 4-1 header, magna flow cat, dual quad tip dtm muffler, 1800 watt stereo with satalite radio, momo 16in rims, from rk sport strut bar, rear vibrant strut bar, indeglow gauge cluster along with matching hvac panel, clear corner lenses, altezz tails, vibrant wai, carbon fiber oem style hood, rsm lightened crank pulley, MSD Ignition coil packs, RSM Vortech Supercharger 8psi

"Disarters are just another star falling in my yard."
Thursday, April 28, 2005 11:00 AM
sinrocker - you need to learn more about our engine before saying anything. with all the other post you made, you're not in position to talk.

2.4 don't have plug wire. Changing the coil will not change the problem.

Did you change the whole IDI cover? The ignition module is a common problem.

We need more info about the "short" did you modify anything? did you put an aftermarket tach?

other modification since you didn't fill out your profile.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Thursday, April 28, 2005 11:40 AM
I have not made any modifications to the car or engine as of yet. It is factory stock 2.4L.

Im not to great with cars, but I can describe the "short" the best I can:

The box holds the 4 sparkplugs and as far as I remember, has a white molded lid.
After time, the car will miss (watery gas type of miss).
1 corner of the lid and the box will have black streaks through the inside of the molded cover/housing). Now you can check the same sparkplug where the "short" seems to be and it is black and burnt looking.

After a small amount of time, the issue seems to move to the next sparkplug. I have had to fix this a few times now, and the garage techs. have said so far they cannot understand why this keeps happening to the car.

I have used 2 different garages for this and they both purchased the same replacement parts (housing / lid). And the both concluded that its a short in the housing itsself, and do not know why the problem happens, or another fix for the problem.

Sorry, not to detailed I guess but Ill get a picture of the area this evening and I will try to post so you can see where I am talking about if that will help?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search