Weird Buzzing - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Weird Buzzing
Tuesday, April 26, 2005 2:41 PM
My setup is pacesetter header to a custom cat-back to a 18-in resonator to a flowmaster muffler. I now have the horrible buzzing noise now. This may be a stupid question, but if I switch the muffler will it get rid of this crappy sound or is it something else?

Re: Weird Buzzing
Tuesday, April 26, 2005 2:52 PM
Exhaust leak probably, or something is rubbing on something else.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Tuesday, April 26, 2005 3:34 PM
describe the noise better...

Check Out my Car Domain Page

Tuesday, April 26, 2005 3:55 PM
I have got it checked for exhuast leaks before and nothing was found. The noise is just like a straight up buzzing sound like bees, lol kinda hard to explain it but there is no exhuast leaks.
Tuesday, April 26, 2005 4:13 PM
does it do it at high rev or all the time?

are you sure its the exhast and not something else?

if you have the muffler just clamped on... swap it out with and freinds and see what happends...

Tuesday, April 26, 2005 4:34 PM
It does it all the time just as long you are giving it gas you hear the buzzing but as soon as soon as you let off the gas it goes away or if I put it into neutral. I believe its the muffler. The muffler is welded on so I just can't unbolt it. I'm thinking just going to some exhaust shop and just see what is going on. If anyone else has any ideas I would appreicate it.
Tuesday, April 26, 2005 4:38 PM
if it was the muffler it wouldnt stop if you just put it in N, check for vacum leaks under the hood...

Tuesday, April 26, 2005 6:29 PM
Sorry seems kinda like a newbie but where are the hoses at? Do you just check for air leaks? I have installed an intake on the car but that is not leaking nor has any cracks.
Tuesday, April 26, 2005 10:17 PM
some vacum lines would include those going into your intake manifold. check those first.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Wednesday, April 27, 2005 5:35 AM
...might actually be the exhaust moving. If your pipes are welded really close all the way across the undercarriage, the pipes can vibrate, and cause a buzzing sound. that is actually why i went with a side exit, i heard...ALL THE TIME...a buzzing sound coming from the rear seats to the rear bumper. cut it off, took off all the brackets and heat shields, had the cat back pipe bent to exit before the rear wheel, and voila....no more bees.

...don't hate!.. respect people that have talent, even if it is in something you don't like or understand.
Wednesday, April 27, 2005 5:25 PM
Kind of funny, i have the same noise on my eco and so does my friend who just got full exhaust on his 2200 with a pacesetter header. We had them check for leaks and there are none on either of our cars.

What soul horse is saying is probably my problem. The sound is louder when i get on it more. O well, its not hurting my performance so i can live with it.

'02 LS Sport - Indigo Blue

Wednesday, April 27, 2005 7:22 PM
i have the same problem on my 2001 2200 it turns out that the braided part of the exhaust is tearing and when i step on the gas it rattles it so thats my problem, i have stock exhaust though im going aftermarket to fix prob :/

ZeRo
2001 Chevy Cavalier
Thursday, April 28, 2005 6:56 AM
I checked the pipes underneath and nothing is close to hitting anything. Also there are brackets to keep it into place and those are solid and not moving. I believe it could just be the muffler. It's a flowmaster and and sounds ok until you give it some gas and then that crappy sound happens. If I went with a dynomax or borla would this kill the problem?
Thursday, April 28, 2005 7:34 AM
...sounds like it might be the muffler...though flowmaster is a good brand. You could go with a straight thru design, like an n1...I had an apexi universal titanium clored one, loved the sound. try that, if ya like? good luck.

...don't hate!.. respect people that have talent, even if it is in something you don't like or understand.
Thursday, April 28, 2005 8:34 AM
Its the resonator, I can guarentee it. The resonators some times get a buzzing noise due to wear. I have this problem and put the car on the lift and had a buddy rev it and it was coming from the resonator. it is the worst sound in the worl, my GF doesnt want to go in the car anymore, lol. I am buying a new resonator to replace the old one. I hate that damn noise!

http://members.cardomain.com/vertz24 1998 Z24 Convertible
Thursday, April 28, 2005 10:33 AM
I thought it might be a resonator problem but when I got the cat-back installed I had it without the resonator and the noise was there. After the resonator install the noise is less but still there. LOL never thought an annoying noise would get so many people involved, which I do appreciate.
Thursday, April 28, 2005 10:38 AM
if you dont have a cat, thats why.

2006 Black Cobalt SS Supercharged G85
13.91@102.77
Thursday, April 28, 2005 2:40 PM
I just left the stock cat in there. Would a new cat help out or not?
Thursday, April 28, 2005 2:57 PM
no.

Saturday, May 07, 2005 3:14 PM
Ah ha I did go and went and took my lazy butt to the exhuast shop. There was a leak in the header pipe connecting to the cat and the flowmaster was bad so I got everything fixed for free becuase it was their fault. Anybody use magnaflow or off-brand mufflers?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search