3 cylinders running lean, 1 cylinder running right - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
3 cylinders running lean, 1 cylinder running right
Tuesday, April 26, 2005 12:00 PM
Last night I installed 1.6 roller rockers with the proper rocker studs, adjusted everything down right. While I had the car apart, I changed out my o2 sensor, valve cover gasket and air filter. Anyways, I pulled out my NGK TR6 plugs. Plugs on cylinders 1, 2, and 4 were all white. The #3 was perfect. Could it be time for a new fuel pump? Or WTF is my problem? As a side notice, car does not run hot, it runs at normal temperature.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.

Re: 3 cylinders running lean, 1 cylinder running r
Tuesday, April 26, 2005 12:29 PM
If white is lean, what color is perfect, out of curiosity? I didn't know that with much degree of certainty, you could tell the a/f ratio.

Tuesday, April 26, 2005 12:48 PM
id say clean your injectors

the plugs should be a brown to light brown color

Tuesday, April 26, 2005 1:05 PM
the only good plug is just what he said, brown but not carbon black.

Tuesday, April 26, 2005 1:21 PM
...yep, white plugs, as in an ashy white dried toothpaste-like coating, mean lean conditions. I know 1st hand..my o2 sensor was kaput, and kept throwing codes...leaned out my car, and all four plugs were coated with that white powder when I finally changed em. like he said, black no good either...my bud's civic had shot rings...oil was entering his chambers before he rebuilt his bottom end, and when he changed his plugs, they were covered in oil.

...don't hate!.. respect people that have talent, even if it is in something you don't like or understand.
Tuesday, April 26, 2005 1:24 PM
...oh, spotabee, to answer your ?...problem probably was your old 02. drive it for a full tank o gas, and see if you fixed your problem. hopefully you did. if it really is a fuel delivery problem...hmmm, maybe your fuel filter? id think that would go before your pump went...have you had any problem starting your car, i.e. long hesitation before it fired up?

...don't hate!.. respect people that have talent, even if it is in something you don't like or understand.
Tuesday, April 26, 2005 3:11 PM
soul horse wrote:...oh, spotabee, to answer your ?...problem probably was your old 02. drive it for a full tank o gas, and see if you fixed your problem. hopefully you did. if it really is a fuel delivery problem...hmmm, maybe your fuel filter? id think that would go before your pump went...have you had any problem starting your car, i.e. long hesitation before it fired up?

being he has 1 cylinder that is running normal , and 3 that arent

its more than likely not the rear of the fuel system causeing the problem , but the injectors them selves being partially clogged or dirty

which i recomended cleaning them first

Tuesday, April 26, 2005 3:48 PM
run the tank down to almost empty and put some sea-foam in there.... if that doesn't work.... try something else

Tuesday, April 26, 2005 7:55 PM
i changed out the o2 sensor, will seafoam it and if that doesn't help, replace the fuel filter.

Wednesday, April 27, 2005 5:26 AM
good luck, would think that that would take care of it...heheh, if all three of us are wrong, maybe take it to a professional, lol.

Wednesday, April 27, 2005 1:59 PM
fuel filter is easy and cheap to change, so you might as well do it anyway. But that definatly sounds like an injector problem because it is not consistant throughout the cylendars.

Wednesday, April 27, 2005 3:29 PM
soul horse wrote:good luck, would think that that would take care of it...heheh, if all three of us are wrong, maybe take it to a professional, lol.

if we're all wrong then i'm just going to pull the head and sell the assembled head and all other mods in classifieds then roll the car off a cliff.

Wednesday, April 27, 2005 6:31 PM
...spotabee, Ill take the head and your tranny off your car if we are all wrong. ahahahah....want a copy of the video clip of the car rolling off the cliff, too...

..better shut up, dont wanna jinx ya.

Wednesday, April 27, 2005 7:35 PM
soul horse wrote:...spotabee, Ill take the head and your tranny off your car if we are all wrong. ahahahah....want a copy of the video clip of the car rolling off the cliff, too...

..better shut up, dont wanna jinx ya.

you don't want my 4spd man its got issues. like 150k miles kinda issues

Thursday, April 28, 2005 5:27 AM
...ahahah, I got the same issues with my gm piece of cool, around 150k myself. Keep us updated on if it fixed your cel.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search