Secret cams compilation - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Secret cams compilation
Tuesday, April 26, 2005 10:53 AM
Alright.. Here goes. This is my attempt at making something like a junkyard guide to finding these cams. I'll give due credit as these are not my original works.

Thanks to Tigz and Misnblu for their posts and some solid numbers. I have combined their posts and hopefully this information is somewhat accurate. if not then my bad!

-------------------------------------------------------

By swapping your stock 2.4L LD9 cams, you can get a fantastic performance boost from around 3400RPM right up to your governer... you will notice a small loss of low-end power under load, but the extra mid-hihg power far far outweighs it..... hurry to your local junkyard and look for these cams, many people are doing this mod, and to buy the cams new will cost way more money!!

INTAKE CAM
-------------------------
The intake cam is from a 1995 (only) 2.3L Quad 4 engine.. the eighth digit in the VIN is a letter D. Can be found in 1995 Cavalier Z24's, Sunfire GT's, and Olds Achievas. Brand new, it's GM part #24574239($197.64). If you're looking under hoods, the casting number on the cam is 245/742 (which IS the same number as the 2.4L LD9, but has 0.360" of lift), and the casting number on the cam housing/carrier is 24574057.

+++++Yes, it is the VIN D on the Vin number but have found the intakes on the '94 and '95 Skylarks too. You must make sure the numbers on the cam cover are 24574057. Remember to look on the windshield of the car and make sure there is D in the VIN number.
The intake cam has been noted on the quad4 as well as the 2.4 engines with the VIN D code and 24574057 on the cam covers. Also look at the cam when taken from the vehicle and make sure it has the number 245/742 on the shaft of the cam, between the lobes.
GM has made some hybrids that will fool you if you don't look carefully at all of the numbers. 2.3 Quads and 2.4 LD9's have had these intake cams with the .360 lift so be on the lookout for them.

EXHAUST CAM
--------------------------
The exhaust cam is from a 1990-94 (only) 2.3L Quad 4 engine.. VIN D as well. Can be found in 90-94 Grand Am's, Olds Cutlass, Calais, Acheiva, and Buick Skylark. Brand new, it's GM part #24570698 or #22545390 (a little confusion there)($197.64). The cam casting numbers are 225/455 (which IS the same number as the HO cams, but only has 0.3750" of lift, not 0.410") and the housing/carrier itself is 22542963.

+++Make sure it is the VIN D on the windshield for the VIN and the casting cover for the cam has 22542963 on it.

+++There are other cars with these cams in them as long as the VIN numbers are correct, casting numbers on the cams are correct, as well as the cam cover numbers are correct for the cam you're looking for.

Do stay away from intake cams from the VIN T's and exhaust cams with the VIN T's as well.

EXTRAS
-------------------------
If you are going to do this swap, here is the complete list of gaskets required. I bought them not as kits because I didn't want to be left over with gaskets I didn't need. When I compared costs briefly with Nate, it would appear that I didn't spend more than him and may have even saved some money because the kit he got had the head gasket, and I didn't get a head gasket. YOU DON"T NEED A HEAD GASKET FOR THE CAM SWAP! I also bought a new timing chain cover gasket, but you don't need to. Unless yours is leaking, you can re-use it. If your car is pre 1997, you may want to change it while you are in there anyway. Here are the GM part numbers:

12355988($8.46) - Intake or exhaust cam carrier gaskets (upper and lower)
12363173($10.30) - Intake or exhaust cam carrier gaskets (upper and lower)
24575512($30.00) - Tensioner. Not required, but if you have timing chain noise..change this. Also, be sure you are familiar with how this part works because it has to be pre-loaded once installed to snug up the timing chain.
24575513($3.00) - Tensioner shoe. This will probably break when you remove, so change it anyway.
24575255($12.23) - Guide. Not required unless yours are worn.
24575257($12.23) - Guide. Same as above.
24575256($12.23) _ Guide. Same as above.
992704($NA) - Assembly Lube. Good idea to coat the cam lobes and the carriers where the cam contacts with this stuff.
992869($NA) - Oil supplement. The GM manual calls for this stuff when you do the cams.
12360464($28.29) - I think this # is the timing chain cover gasket. (optional)
245752453($NA) - I think this is the # for the water pump gasket kit. This is only required if you are doing your water pump. I did my water pump and thermostat at the same time as the cams.

Re: Secret cams compilation
Tuesday, April 26, 2005 11:19 AM
not to be a ass but all this info can be found here or here

and not to mention there are more threads about this subject. nice try though

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Tuesday, April 26, 2005 12:32 PM
eh I figured why not. thanks Red.
Tuesday, April 26, 2005 1:51 PM
No to be another ass, but you took a lot from NY-jbody's site.
clicky
Good effort though

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, April 26, 2005 3:46 PM
like I said those weren't my posts >< but I must apologize to those who were left uncredited. thanks for letting me know though. maybe I shoulda looked on ny jb before I posted.

d'oh. Thanks for the encouragement though.
Tuesday, April 26, 2005 9:12 PM
you gave it a good try effort though Inari Fennec. it shows that you are willing to help out and give info when needed, thats a good thing. i hope you stick around for awhile

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search