PS delete - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
PS delete
Tuesday, April 26, 2005 8:01 AM
has ne one taken off there power stearing and if so was it easy? were would i get a belt if i did? How much power did u gain? thanx

DRIVE HARD OR DONT DRIVE AT ALL!!!

Re: PS delete
Tuesday, April 26, 2005 9:38 AM
haent done it dont know anyone that has... i dont think you would gain enough to go through that @!#$... and then not have powersteering.

Check Out my Car Domain Page

Tuesday, April 26, 2005 9:58 AM
not worth it

Tuesday, April 26, 2005 10:00 AM
dude have you ever drove your car without ps?

I have and cant say that i would want to do it on a regular basis....just before you do this or consider it drive down the road at whatever speed and turn the key off in your car. that will give u a good idea of how its gunna be all the time.

if u can handle driving the car like that then u are in alot stronger than me cause i know that a trip from my house to the gas station which is roughly 3-4 miles was pretty tireing.

Tuesday, April 26, 2005 10:06 AM
I didn't have power steering on my '89 Civic.. and it was a 5-speed lol.. unless I was moving, it was really hard to steer.

Rob

Sold 2/2/05
Tuesday, April 26, 2005 10:07 AM
i blew my power steering pump out back in november from playing in the snow, and have been driving without it ever since. Im going to replace it when i rebuild the engine in about a month. its not incredibly hard, its definitely not fun, but you get used to it. If i had a choice, i would keep it on. You would gain more power in your arms from having to steer without it, than you would in your engine.

This is my Sig.... its wonderful isn't it...
Tuesday, April 26, 2005 10:14 AM
dyskord wrote:not worth it

-Borsty
Tuesday, April 26, 2005 10:23 AM
Try to find a manual steering rack.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Tuesday, April 26, 2005 10:52 AM
F that dude, DONT do it. Its not worth it for the 1 hp you will gain. My saturn has manual steering and i HATE it. I am gettin rid of it. when your moving its easy. But when your not moving it sucks. Its a 5 speed and you need two hands to steer at low speeds.]

l8tr

does that say premium, Oh snap, my membership ran out!
*** rolling on the floor having AG withdrawels ***
must... renew...membership...must...support...org
Tuesday, April 26, 2005 11:12 AM
well i drove my girlfriends car which is a fiero and it doesnt have power steering and it isnt that bad. but i asked cause i kno someone that took ps and there ac out of there neon and its pretty quick. and he only has intake and exhaust. and i wanted to c if ne one had a significant gain from a cavi from the same thing

Tuesday, April 26, 2005 9:30 PM
I know a guy that removed his a/c and ps on his GTZ and has some other small mods, he runs like a 14.7, i think most GTZ run mid to low 15s stock, so it might be worth it.

I would think just disconnect all the lines and what not that make it work and that should do it.

Click the banner to enter the best Quad4 & Twin Cam site on the internet.

Wednesday, April 27, 2005 1:58 AM
advantages of having a car without P/S

1. 1 HP gain
2. 2 1/2 lane U-turns
3. save money from going to the gym.

NOPE not gonna do it.

4 months in Korea = 17" rims
4 months in Iraq = Bodykit
Not having mommy and daddy pay for everything = priceless
Wednesday, April 27, 2005 5:31 AM
....I would suggest not doing it as well. I am a fit guy, I am a competitive fighter, and it tires me out driving without p/s. My buddy's civic has no p/s, and for a light car, damn, it feels heavy. It'll kill your handling...our cars make slow drag cars (unless you have plenty of time and cash, I know guys like Karo have fast cars, but in general, they aren't that hellishly fast...look at my mods, and i tell you, my car still isn't close to quick, lol)...but our cars do make great track / handling cars. you'll hurting your cars best asset by eliminating the p/s.

oh, one small advantage if you DO decide to do it..youll get improved cooling if you also remove the a/c condensor. but dont do it, lol.

...don't hate!.. respect people that have talent, even if it is in something you don't like or understand.
Wednesday, April 27, 2005 6:42 AM
Keep in mind that a car with power steering disabled does NOT feel like a car that's made without power steering.

Someone mentioned above that you should look into finding a manual rack. That's probably the most crucial part of doing this mod.

If it's that important to you, solve that issue before considering anything else. Don't just look into disabling the pump and sealing the power rack.

Wednesday, April 27, 2005 9:02 AM
ok. i dont think ill do it then. but i have a question for u wild weasel. um did relocating ur iat sensor give u any gains cause i want to do the same thing

Wednesday, April 27, 2005 9:29 AM
What are you talking about? Why would you think I relocated my IAT sensor?

Don't do it. It will only cause you problems in the long run.

Wednesday, April 27, 2005 9:33 AM
is there any kits where you can convert your p/s from belt to electric. i know the cobalts have electric and somewhere it said that they have an extra 5 horsepower from it. that would be something to look into if it were possible.
Wednesday, April 27, 2005 9:35 AM
my bad man i was thnkin of soul horse. but any ways how would it cause probs?

Wednesday, April 27, 2005 9:43 AM
rob linehan wrote:is there any kits where you can convert your p/s from belt to electric. i know the cobalts have electric and somewhere it said that they have an extra 5 horsepower from it. that would be something to look into if it were possible.

but the l61 engine for a cobalt

Wednesday, April 27, 2005 9:51 AM
I have it done on my car... I think its worth it... but hey that just me.. the BIGGEST problem I have is when the slicks are down to about 7 psi of tire pressure and I try to turn the wheels while the car is stopped... but when you have full tire pressure I have no problems with it....

1) Pull the PS pump off the car
2) Loop the line on the rack
3) Make a block off plate
4) Your Done.

Wednesday, April 27, 2005 9:58 AM
^ But you're car only drives in straight lines other than the end of the track

Wednesday, April 27, 2005 10:00 AM
hey what do u mean loop the line on the rack. couldnt i just go to auto zone and try to get a belt that would fit on just the alternato crank and wate pump? or could u give me a better explination of doin it

Wednesday, April 27, 2005 1:09 PM
hey cavi.demon if you just searched or knew a little bit about your car, you would know that it is not the crank that drive the PS but the intake cam.

IMO it is useless for a street car. on the other hand, guys like Karo would love this
Wednesday, April 27, 2005 1:32 PM
they y is there a belt on a pully on the ps pump? new at this. give me a break.

Wednesday, April 27, 2005 2:18 PM
McBsunfgt wrote:hey cavi.demon if you just searched or knew a little bit about your car, you would know that it is not the crank that drive the PS but the intake cam.

And if you knew what you were talking about, you'd know he probably has a 2.2 Non-Eco and the power steering is in fact belt driven.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search