1995 2.2 to 1990 2.3ho swap??? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
1995 2.2 to 1990 2.3ho swap???
Sunday, April 24, 2005 9:48 AM
Ok i have seached and didnt find what i was looking for so if someone can direct me in the right direction for this...I have a 95 sunfire 2.2 with a manual tranny. I want to do the 2.3 ho swap from a 1990 beretta gtz also standard. i need a list of parts and if possible a how to and things i have to fabricate and so on..anyone who has knowlege that would be awsome...also just a random question but is this engine worth it?? wil the gains be good enough?also are there enough aftermarket support cause there is not much for mine..lol..thanks for the help..phil

Re: 1995 2.2 to 1990 2.3ho swap???
Sunday, April 24, 2005 10:12 AM
i heard that engine has its problems. swap in an Eco. that be cool

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Sunday, April 24, 2005 10:21 AM
i would prolly do that but it has less power and i have a problem gtting one for under a few thousand..i can get the motor engine and prolly everything i need for 600 cdn...phil
Sunday, April 24, 2005 12:56 PM
maybe less power initially but is a much sronger engine and more responsive to mods. the 2.3 is an old power plant. go with the eco it may be more expensive but much more worth it.

M.I.L.F. HUNTER Its quarter past 12:00 know where your mom is................................I do
Sunday, April 24, 2005 1:42 PM
much more worth it? in no way.

Get the Ho. If you want to boost it, go with the eco but if you want a mad NA engine, get the Ho.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Sunday, April 24, 2005 4:14 PM
ok well does anyone know where i can find a how to??? or a list of parts?? Also im prolly going to be n/a for a along time cause i cant afford to boost it since it is a daily driver and at the most i might run a 75 shot of nitrous if i need to..phil
Sunday, April 24, 2005 7:58 PM
well...i dont know about a "how to" but me and gilles are probably the ones to talk to...if your car wasnt a 2.2 it would basicaly be a drop in swap....but since it isnt....im gussing your AT LEAST gonna need the engine, the transmission to with it , and a HO ecu....and if your car is an automatic it probably isnt gonna be worth it....

THE GUY SURE LOOKS LIKE PLANT FOOD TO ME!!!

Sunday, April 24, 2005 7:59 PM
I can get it all..ecu,wire harnesss,engine,tranny..the thing im curious about is drive axles if i need them and fuel lines nd a general idea of motor mounts also..phil
Sunday, April 24, 2005 8:10 PM
ok, i have a 95 cav so im where your at,,HOWEVER..mine came with an isuzu transmission...im not for sure on the differences between the transmissions that came with the 2.2 and the 2.3 but MINE worked fine...so to answer your question..if yours are the same as the rest yes theyll work..2nd i had to use my stock fuel reail, i kept the HO injectors ofcourse but the rail wouldnt work..you may want to just look at the fuel lines in the donor car and make sure you can match something up...as far as mounts goTHIS IS VERY IMPORTANT the HO has the same mounts as any LO quad or 96+ twin cam BUT 89-92 had different mounts than the 93-94 transmission....you can use the engine but i STRONGLY suggest getting a 93-93 getrag transmission....if you look in the car youll notice the HO has ONE tranny mount and THREE engine mounts...one on top..dogbone on bottom...and one on the very front bottom above the oil pan that connects to a subframe that no 3rd gen has....the 93-94 has TWO tranny mounts both of which are located the same place as a isuzu's ....the 89-92 tranny WILL work, but youll experience engine turn and bad power transfer....hope i helped alittle and sorry for the long explaination...anything else??? i dont know much about the 2.2's so youll have to look at the mount locations

Monday, April 25, 2005 3:07 AM
the front mount beside the oil filter is exclusive to the 87-91 2.3. After that they had teh side mount by the coolant reservoir.

you can fit a 87-91 2.3 in a 92+ bay if you put the side mount on the new engine. There was a problem with 91- block tough. there was something on the block that was longer than the 92+ so it was a tight fit but I don't remember what part it was.

For the tranny you have 2-3 choice. the 90-91 tranny of the Gtz is good for acceleration but excellent for highhway use. a 92+ tranny is excellent for acceleration but good for highway use. What I mean is if you are always on the highway, get the 90-91 tranny, the rpm is lower on 5th so better gas mileage. If you're all on acceleration, get the 92.

You can go with a 2.4 tranny too but it's just a POS so you better stick with the Hm 282.

As for the axle, scott will tell you. If I read correctly, his axle fit correctly with the Getrag tranny.

you want to get the Ecm and wiring harness for sure. it will save you some time. plus, you can get a chip to rev higher (7400rpm).

the fuel line can always be modify to work with the Ho fuel rail.

before putting that engine in your car, change the clutch. buy something a bit better than stock if you plan on racing it.

If you want, you can change the cam and the water pump while you're there. The water pump is not a problem but it's cheap to change. you can get a set of W41 cams at TRS.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Monday, April 25, 2005 6:27 AM
i totally agree...change the water pump and the clutch while its out..i went with a stage 2 clutch and aluminum flywheel and love it..definetly order from TRS..as for the axles yes your right ..mine fit perfect..as long as his are same as mine...i also have a 90 block so i know the pains your gonna see...ive also used both trannys in my car. a 90 and now have a 93 scx tranny ...and hes right about the gearing....as far as the ecu goes..i dont know if youll really need the chip cus you have a HO ecu from the donor car but it might be an upgrade for that too im sure but if you need one mine will be for sale in about amonth and i got mine directly from mantapart..

Monday, April 25, 2005 4:39 PM
ok so will my 2.2 tranny fit the 2.3 then?? i believ it is a isuzu tranny...if not id be better off with the 92 tranny since it is easier to mount up..im looing for the easy way but the best way too...also im not sure what you were talking about scott when you talked about fuel rails..i dont beilieve mine would work in any way so im asuming you have the 2.3 lo..phil
Monday, April 25, 2005 5:26 PM
its kinda hard to explain.....i started out with a LO..so when i put the HO in it was soooo much easier for me to just change the injectors than change the whole fuel rail...the fuel lines didnt want to hook up right and i would have had to buy more parts ( i dont like that :p )
i would have to see your engine to tell you for sure...but i would plan on running longer fuel line...and as far as the tranny goes, yes the pre92 getrag did get better gas mileage on the highway..but for PERFORMANCE SAKE use the 92+ preferably one off a HO engine...it will have TWO tranny mounts where as the 91 and earlier only had 1...that will give you better power transfer,more stability, and it has better gear ratio

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search