ignition coil - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
ignition coil
Monday, April 18, 2005 7:30 PM
how do you know when your ignition coil has gone out. i have a 2.4 fire and on the ignition coil housing assembly where on one of the silver metal things that connect to the spring thingy is black and even the white housing is black like if it is burned? plus my car turns on but it is running like crap and it dies off after a few seconds. can it be the ignition coil. plus on the top of the ignition coil there is something white like foam on it and its hard and i never had seen that before can anyone explain that. please help. hope im making sense.

Re: ignition coil
Monday, April 18, 2005 8:38 PM
I don't know about the foam, but I have had my coils go out twice. it won't fire on all cylinders if it is bad. GM's awsome design on the ignition is between the cam covers, it gets very hot so the black on white cover is the spark going across to the other spark plugs. If i were you I would replace your whole ignition, from the idi cover down including the spark plugs. it is kind of expensive but it is worth it. I bought mine from O'Reilys that came with a lifetime guarantee so I replace mine about every 8 months

View my MySpace
Monday, April 18, 2005 8:46 PM
yeah i just wen to autozone and yes it is the coils. one of them is completely burned but he did give me the price on them and it comes out to about 120 for the coils and cover
thanx for the input though. but do you really have to replace them every 8 months?
Monday, April 18, 2005 9:07 PM
no you don't have to replace them every 8 months. but I like a fresh ignition and a nice smooth idle every once in a while. plus I have 144,XXX miles on the motor so every little tune up helps.

View my MySpace
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search