Exhaust...How big is too big? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Exhaust...How big is too big?
Monday, April 18, 2005 10:40 AM
My plans:

Pacesetter header into 2.5" flex pipe, then into 2.5" Magnaflow high flow cat, then 2.5" piping back to 2.5" PowerZ muffler.

Is that too much? I already have the flex pipe, cat, and muffler, and they're all 2.5", but should I stay with 2.5" piping, or reduce them to 2.25" between the components?

What difference would it make doing it one way over the other?

Re: Exhaust...How big is too big?
Monday, April 18, 2005 1:10 PM
what engine do you have? and what do you plan on doing to it in the future?

there are lots of things to consider, if you're staying N/A then 2 1/4 is fine, but if you plan on going turbo or supercharger, then go 2 1/2 - 3.

an LD9 could use 2 1/2 while still being N/A, but more than that would just be a big waste.

my exhaust is 2 1/4, but i'm staying N/A, so it all depends on your plans for the future.

Monday, April 18, 2005 1:58 PM
2.5 inch is too much for a 2.2 OHV that is NA
2.25 is good for that engine

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Monday, April 18, 2005 2:19 PM
so could i still use the cat and flex pipe, and just have them put reducers at the inlets/outlets to 2.25"? It shouldn't hurt anything to use them should it?

Monday, April 18, 2005 2:36 PM
the flow of your exhaust is based on the SMALLEST point in your setup... so no i shouldnt change anything.
Monday, April 18, 2005 6:56 PM
I had full 2.25" Pacesetter header, magnaflow cat and magnaflow mufflers... worked fine N/A, even low boost it was fine(turbo mani instead of header)... starts to get restrictive when you reach higher boost though... just finished making my 2.5" kit all mandrel bent w/ off-road pipe as well. Just make sure you get it mandrel bent... you DONT want any restrictions...BTW hi-flow cats on N/A kinda make our cars sound ricy, not deep like w/ just a cat-back.

Failure is not failure if you learn from it
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search