Throttle Body woes - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Throttle Body woes
Friday, April 01, 2005 10:25 PM
Aight so heres the deal while testing out my new cams i realized that my car was idling a little too high 1500 rpms to be exact. So while driving around i noticed it felt like the car doesn't want to stop almost like the throttle cable is stuck or hitting the gas while trying to brake so i pull into my driveway start shifting into park get to Neutral and then the car starts to fully accelerate. So i think WTF! and put it in to park and to my surprise it starts heading towards the red-line cut off at 6500 so of course i turn off the car wait a sec restart it and the car idles kinda lopey (cause of the new cams i figure) but at least its idling below 1 grand. So i take it around again driving like a normal driver for ten minutes and everything seems fine then i do a full throttle run from about 30 till 90 and right after all the symptoms starts up again. So now after checking through everything I've narrowed it down to a vacuum leak in my throttle body lines or I think its the idle air control sensor bugging out because when i left the IAC sensor unplugged as soon as i would start the car it would start to fully accelerate like it did before. So now any suggestions from anyone oh yeah I've tried a different IAC it wasn't new it was off of the ported throttle body i got but it looked old so i didn't use it when i first installed my ported TBt but putting it on was even worse than with the one from my stock TB. Sorry if the story is so long winded but i wanted to make sure i didn't leave out any details to make giving suggestions a little easier.

Re: Throttle Body woes
Friday, April 01, 2005 11:39 PM
listening

14.82 @ 97 mph
Friday, April 01, 2005 11:46 PM
did you check the timing on the cam?

“Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that’s even remotely
true.

Cannon fodder is my daddy.
Saturday, April 02, 2005 7:31 AM
i had some what of the same problem when i had my cams in, but mine wouldnt rev up to 6500 it wouldnt go past 3. so i put it in nuetral and let my car rev itself one time and then after i got up to almost 3 it started to lower itself back down and didnt do it after that. but that happen to me when i had my cams in only a few times.

COMING SOON....ION REDLINE
MY 2003 SUNFIRE
Saturday, April 02, 2005 11:33 AM
well after reading some old post on IAC valve problems and reading my haynes maual I went this morning took off the IAC sensor cleaned out the port, cleaned the sensor retightened down the throttle body, zip tied all the hoses tight and it seems to have cured the problem for now i've done a couple of WOT runs but nothing to heavy or back to back and every thing seems good i'll mess with it some more on my way to work and see if anything changes. Oh yeah i must say im really starting to like these cams the way they lope at idle is crazy when the car is warmed up only thing is though if i let the car idle for lets say 10 to 15 mins with out moving it starts to throw a knock sensor code. I didnt think this was suposed to happen on the stage ones but no problem i guess im still happy. Trying to get to the dyno next fri or sat when i get paid so hopefully nothing happenes to the car till then.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search