custom exhaust - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
custom exhaust
Saturday, March 26, 2005 12:40 PM
hey guys. just a question, This summer I plan on doing exhaust on my car. I want to get a header and a highflow cat. My question comes down to would it be possible for me to make my own catback ? I have experience welding exhaust through my university's formula SAE team. I figure this way that I could go with 2.25 tubing and I would not have to use crush bends in the curves if i got pre-mandrel bent exhaust joints and welded it all together...would this be possible? thank you for any help you could give me'

has anybody else tried this?

Re: custom exhaust
Saturday, March 26, 2005 2:50 PM
anybody know anything about welding their own exhaut ?
Saturday, March 26, 2005 5:15 PM
I don't see it being too difficult. If you know how to wel, should be no prob

Tim

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
"Hey man is that a Cavalier?" "Yeah." What you got in it?" "It's stock." "Oh."
Dimebag
Darrell
Abbott
R.I.P
8/20/66
12/8/04
Saturday, March 26, 2005 6:08 PM
why not just go with 2.5" piping, just like the IPerformance system, its the system i'm going to use, except I'm getting the Header which includes the high flow cat aswell as the cat-back exhaust, i think you can get both for around $1000. All 2.5" piping too. just my 2 cents tho.

Saturday, March 26, 2005 6:33 PM
No problem making your own exhaust. I didn't have alot of welding experience, but I did my own. Still needs some adjustments,haingers and alignment, but thats going to have to wait till a day off when the weather cooperates. 2 1/4" is just fine for what you have in mods, any thing more you'll lose the low end torque. I wouldn't recomend 2 1/2" unless you're going to boost it.

Saturday, March 26, 2005 8:00 PM
Alex wrote:why not just go with 2.5" piping, just like the IPerformance system, its the system i'm going to use, except I'm getting the Header which includes the high flow cat aswell as the cat-back exhaust, i think you can get both for around $1000. All 2.5" piping too. just my 2 cents tho.

UM? 2.25" Is considered the best piping Diameter for not forced induction cars here.

My header, Highflo cat, New o2 sensors, 18"resonator, dynomax Super turbo muffler, Tips, and all compression bent pipes only cost me $350 to be installed, and only $325.82 in parts. Madreal bent was only $150 more. But i didnt have the $$ then.

So in anotherwords, you sound like your getting ripped.

Fact 1:

“Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that’s even remotely
true.
Saturday, March 26, 2005 8:09 PM
I can get all the tubing for about $75, the header will be $200, convertor will be about $180, i already have the muffler, my 02 sensors are brand new, only 1000km on them and all the labour will be done by me. I plan on using 2.25 tubing and welding in new 02 sensor housings (I have also made these for the formula SAE team) . All prices are in Canadian Dollars, does this sound about right? anything else I should be looking for?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search