AC.. compressor hard to put in? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
AC.. compressor hard to put in?
Thursday, October 06, 2005 9:49 AM
well my AC just blows straight hot air so i picked up an AC compressor im assuiming thats what it is correct? anyway i was wondering hopw hard these are to put in?
thanx

Re: AC.. compressor hard to put in?
Thursday, October 06, 2005 10:31 AM
Compressor could be one of many reasons why it blows hot.

Could just be a leak in a line, condensor, or accumulator. It couls also be just that it is low on 134a refrigerant.

First, you should have put some AC dye in the AC system, if it hasn't been done before, gotten a pair of orange tinted glasses, and a black light and inspected your whole AC system for leaks. The dye appears as a neon yellow / orange color around the leak. Also inspect the bottom of the compressor for any dye.

Once you found the leak, replace the part or gasket the connection that is causing the leak. Then recharge your AC system with 134a.

If you had found the neon color on the compressor, then it would be leaking and would need to be replaced. You just bought a $200-$400 (new) part without inspection to find out what was causing the leak?

Easiest way to know if dye has been added is to look, with the glasses and light, at the fill nozzle. No matter when it was done there will still be dye all over the nozzle. It never goes away.
Thursday, October 06, 2005 10:33 AM
Opps..
As for installing, the hard part is getting belt on and off, and the location of the compressor. I would seriously add dye and inspect before you install it. You might have gotten it for no reason.
Thursday, October 06, 2005 10:34 AM
its kinda a pain in the ass to do

-Borsty
Friday, October 07, 2005 5:56 AM
pretty easy to do once you get the hang of it. It has two bolts facing the tire. It has one more at the back and one more holding the aluminum lines to the compressor. The thing is getting it back on there, it is hard to align the bolt holes if the car is on jackstands. but if you have somebody with you to help you it shoukd be no problem. one of you from the bottom of the car and the other from the top. Make sure there is no refrigerant in the system before you disconnect the lines or you are for a good shower of refrigerant. Hope this helps. Let us know how it went.

stock '00 2200 cavy
Friday, October 07, 2005 11:32 AM
i got the compressor for 50.00 from a 1998 with a 60day warrenty.. works for me i used to work at dealership so they can help.. is there a possibility i could put this in and it could still be hot air? or will this fix it for sure

Friday, October 07, 2005 8:00 PM
You will need refrigerant. But if the leak is not in the compressor, all the freon will leak out. And the a/c will be hot again. My suggestion is to have it leak tested, then replace the part that needs replacing.

Saturday, October 08, 2005 10:37 AM
well last time they gave me freeon they told me the pressure was bad when they tseted it and it was the compresser?

Sunday, October 09, 2005 5:22 PM
I have to learn this project sometime. My compressor is dead too. I have had it checked and thats the problem with mine. Let me know how it goes man.

J-body of Kentucky
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search