Couple of problems (o2 sensor and ABS) - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Couple of problems (o2 sensor and ABS)
Wednesday, October 05, 2005 9:42 PM
Alright, i got a couple of weird problems with my winter car (98 2200 cavalier).
first is check engine light, code is for the rear o2 sensor heater control, replaces the sensor with the one out of my 2000 Z24 since i don't have a o2 in it now. still get the code for the o2 and it tests fine as far as i can tell.

now the 2nd problem has me realy confused, its for the abs, excessive accelleration left front wheel. now i knew the wiring on the abs sensors always go bad so i checked that first I measured the resistance and its good, so i figured its gotta be the sensor, changed the sensor still does it, i even tried swaping the abs computer with the one out of my 97 2.2 still does it! but its realy weird since the code doesn't come on until i go over EXACTLY 62km/h (about 35mph), and as soon as you shut the car off it goes away until you drive over 62 again lol

so i have changed the wiring, the sensor, and the computer, what else could it be!!!

got any suggestions let me know because that abs one realy has me confused, and that car is goin up for sale next week so i got to get these problems taken care of ASAP

Thanks
Derek

Re: Couple of problems (o2 sensor and ABS)
Thursday, October 06, 2005 2:28 AM
for the 02: you cleared the codes right?

abs. no idea, thats werid

-Borsty
Thursday, October 06, 2005 4:57 AM
O2 sensor:
Agreed with Borsty. Did you unscrew your battery terminal and pull both fuses for the PCM, after replacing the sensor? If not try this.It's alot cheaper than buying a new O2 sensor.
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=2&i=314341&t=309456#314341

I did this when i put a hole through my cat, which caused the CEL to come on. It worked great never had a code.

ABS:
You did check the wheel speed sensor? It sounds like that would be the problem. Other than that, get the car to have the light come on and go and have the code read.
Thursday, October 06, 2005 6:06 AM
ya i cleared the codes, im using a snap on scan tool. o2 code will stay off for a while but usualy within a day or 2 will be back on... and it still has stock exhaust and cat in there.

Thanks
Derek

Thursday, October 06, 2005 7:33 AM
Might be the cat... sometimes on some cars, the conveter goes out quickly. I still think for $4.00, you should try the spark plug defouler method, almost positive it can stop the O2 code.
Thursday, October 06, 2005 7:57 AM
I just thought of an ABS thing too! The speed ring.

The ring that is on the axle, that the wheel speed sensor reads, maybe messed up. The teeth might be worn down or the ring it self my be bad. Which would cause the sensor to read wrong speeds, especially if it is happening at a set speed.

Maybe try swapping axles if they are the same. Not sure if they are tho.
Thursday, October 06, 2005 9:35 AM
mine is having the same problem with your o2 sensor. the code will clear the first time and pop up in 2 days, then it won't go away even if I try to clear it.

So on the PCM pulling method, I disconnect my negative terminal, pull the pcm fues, wait, put pcm back, and connect my battery? How long do I wait or do I connect my battery even though the pcm fues is pulled?

Thursday, October 06, 2005 9:40 AM
When I would do mine I would disconnect the battery terminal for as long as I was working on the car.

Just to be safe, disconnect negative terminal first then pull the fuses and leave out for 5 minutes at least. Then put the fuses in and connect the battery.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search