Shaking... - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Shaking...
Thursday, July 21, 2005 8:32 PM
What could be causing my car to shake so much? I used to think that it was my brakes, but it shakes even while I've driving sometimes. And not the kind of rattling shake like when you hit a bump. Sometimes it just shakes even when I'm on a decent road with no bumps. What can I do to fix this?

The Hellserpent
Aiming to be the LARGEST directory of Sport Compact Enthusiasts in the Northeast!

Re: Shaking...
Thursday, July 21, 2005 10:40 PM
I'm not a mechanic, but here's some ideas:
Pull in and out on the tops of the tires; if you notice a lot of movement or a clunking sensation, you may have bad bearings.
You could possibly have thrown some wheel weights, or they may have moved, unbalancing your tires, a tire shop can fix this for a fee.
Bad motor mounts? One possible way to check for this is to get going a smooth road, put the car in neutral, and let off the gas so the car is idling (or just turn it off, but you will lose power brakes and steering FYI) and see if the vibration goes away.
Bad tie rod ends would have to be checked by a mechanic on a hoist (I think)
Worn U joints in your half shafts might do this too though i'm not sure...
Friday, July 22, 2005 1:42 PM
rotate your tires

my car is a girl because I describe her as sexy, beautiful, hot. I look at her curves, and I caress her body once a week with various soaps and sponges. Also, I get in and out of her every day.
Saturday, July 23, 2005 6:54 AM
Could also be your CV shaft(s). Do you notice it a lot on acceleration and is there any clunking/popping sounds?

http://members.cardomain.com/scrawnyguy18
Sunday, July 24, 2005 8:40 AM
haha or you could have flatspotted your tires like I did. Pulling 180's is not good for the tires and probably countless other parts (or just jamming up a set of tires by yanking the E-brake, or slamming your brakes) do you notice it more, less, or evenly the faster you go?

My tires arent bad but on the highway my car gets a slight vibration that you can feel through the seats
Sunday, July 24, 2005 12:31 PM
Calvin Di Bartolo wrote:haha or you could have flatspotted your tires like I did. Pulling 180's is not good for the tires and probably countless other parts (or just jamming up a set of tires by yanking the E-brake, or slamming your brakes) do you notice it more, less, or evenly the faster you go?

My tires arent bad but on the highway my car gets a slight vibration that you can feel through the seats

It's usually on the highway, but then again I drive on the highway 90% of the time, lol. I notice it the most on downhill slopes. Doesn't have to be steep but that's when I notice it most. Not neccesarily when I'm braking to slow down, but sometimes when I'm just letting cruise too.

The Hellserpent
Aiming to be the LARGEST directory of Sport Compact Enthusiasts in the Northeast!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search