91 Cavalier 2.2 oil pump - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
91 Cavalier 2.2 oil pump
Monday, July 18, 2005 11:13 AM
I believe my oil pump is going on my cavalier because my oil pressure keeps going to 0 when Im at idle after the car gets up to temp. It has gotten worse and worse and now it does it when I let off the gas below like 30 mph so I am going to replace it tomorrow as it sure seems like that is it. Please give me your thoughts because I dont want to replace it and have it not be the oil pump. Thanks

RIP 3-23-05

Re: 91 Cavalier 2.2 oil pump
Tuesday, July 19, 2005 10:51 AM
I have the same Cavy and have the same problem. I swapped out the oil pump but still have low oil pressure on idle when the engine is warm.

After speaking with a couple of mechanics and getting a response to a post on this (thanks Gilles!), we determined it's worn rod bearings, a worn main bearing, or both. I don't hear a big tick when the engine runs, so the bearings aren't totally shot. I know the engine's days are numbered.

In the meantime, I'm using 40W oil and that helps to keep the oil pressure up some.
Re: 91 Cavalier 2.2 oil pump
Tuesday, July 19, 2005 12:06 PM
Well I went to the parts store today and had to order one and had to pay for it today. I really hope that it is the problem with mine so I dont waste all the time changing it out as Ive never done it before. The motor only has 84k on it so it seems a ltitle too early for it to go it runs really well and it doesnt tick or anything either like you say yours doesnt. I sure hope this motor will last me until I can get another car as its just a temporary car until I get something else which will probably be over the winter.

RIP 3-23-05
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search