Engine light / O2 sensor question - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Engine light / O2 sensor question
Monday, June 20, 2005 10:06 PM
I recently had a short ram intake (custom pipe with K&N filter) and a new cat back exhaust (Apex) installed on my 2000 2.2L sunfire. It has all been working really well except that my check engine light showed up a couple days after they were put on. The car has been running great and I haven't noticed a negative change in performance. I've taken it in to a pontiac dealership to see if they could find out what the problem is. They said it was the O2 sensor that is causing the light to go on, although they couldn't fix it and they couldn't determine whether it was the intake or the exhaust that was making this happen. They cleared the code, and updated the software and everything was fine until 3 days later when the light popped back on again. Has this happened to anyone or does anybody know what could be causing this?

Re: Engine light / O2 sensor question
Monday, June 20, 2005 10:14 PM
did they tell you which o2 sensor it was causeing the light? precat- post cat? im gonna guess it is post cat if you are not noticing any performance differances or really crappy gas milage. you can get the new sensor for less than $100 online or $100 at autozone. also autozone scans codes for free so go get it scanned and that will help you know exactly what the problem is

Monday, June 20, 2005 10:29 PM
Here are the codes that came up:

1. P0133 HO2S Slow Response Bank 1 Sensor 1
2. P1137 HO2S Bank 1 Sensor 2 Lean System or Low Voltage

I really have no idea what these mean excactly. I just want to know for sure if getting a new sensor would fix the problem before I go and pay $100 for it.
Monday, June 20, 2005 11:54 PM
man just change both o2 sensors and take it to auto zone so they can clear the code and ull be all good

Tuesday, June 21, 2005 12:17 AM
it does sound like you need both sensors...
kinda wierd for them both to go at once tho, did you have to do any welding on the exhaust? or did you use some kind of silicone/ silicone spray on or near your intake while installing the intake?.. i reciently replaced bot of my sensors off the internet for aprox $100 for both just look around a lil.

if you do have a faulty front sensor i suppose that could be confusing the second sensor, so either way id prolly replace the front sensor ASAP, it is by far the more important sensor(controls your a/f ratios and will kill your gas mileage if bad) the 2nd sensor is strictly for emmisions purposes (only tells if the cat is working or not)

Monday, July 18, 2005 8:39 PM
it's easy...

computer thinks it's running lean from the bad reading on the front sensor.... so it dumps more fuel....

which is making it run rich.... causing the rear sensor to go off for emissions...

save the money.... just change the front sensor
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search