Check Engine Light came on... - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Check Engine Light came on...
Monday, July 18, 2005 12:13 PM
I have a 2003 Cavalier with 63,000 miles on it. My check engine light came on and now my car has a rough idle and the engine misses a little bit when running. I am thinking maybe it is the oxygen sensor because that usually makes the check engine light come on. Do you think this is the case and how difficult is it to change? Thank You.

Re: Check Engine Light came on...
Monday, July 18, 2005 12:38 PM
well you need to see what the code is first, there are many many reasons why the check engine will come on.
Monday, July 18, 2005 4:54 PM
you need the code read first. Autozone can do it for you

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Monday, July 18, 2005 5:29 PM
dont assume that the o2 sensor is bad.......get it checked first........you could have anything from a bad plug to a module........

it just bugs me when people assume with out any info to back it up

that check engine light can come on for dozens of reasons....

Tuesday, July 19, 2005 4:55 AM
I will get the code read, and then come back to you. Thanks fellas.
Tuesday, July 19, 2005 7:07 AM
PO301 Cylinder 1 misfire...

Is this changing the plugs and wires?
Tuesday, July 19, 2005 7:41 AM
The eco does not have plug wires it could be a spark plug.
If I were u I would just change the plugs and the fuel filter.
Then go from there.
Tuesday, July 19, 2005 8:04 AM
I dont mean to be a pain in the ass, but how do I go about changing the fuel filter.
Tuesday, July 19, 2005 8:32 AM
No pain, you just need a 17 mm wrench for one side and on the other there is a quick disconnect. Just be careful when releasing the nut there will be pressure build up, you should were saftey glasses.Also when you put the new one on make sure that it goes the wright way, It can only go one way but you never now with GM they change stuff all the time there should be a flow direction on the filter.
Also the fuel filter is located at the rear of the vehicle.
You will need to lift the rear of the car.

When you are done the car will take a little bit before it starts up dont worry that is normal.
Thursday, July 21, 2005 9:21 AM
The car is stalling out.
so
I Changed the plugs.
It still is sputtering. Seems like it is not getting fuel. I drove it to work and now it is in the shop by work. Does it seem like a fuel filter? I really hope the answer is yes.
Thursday, July 21, 2005 9:46 AM
that could be the problem
change the filter and get a fuel inj. service.

Thursday, July 21, 2005 10:01 AM
I told the shop to change the fuel filter. They are a bunch of crooks, so I am prepared to be screwed.
Thursday, July 21, 2005 10:06 AM
That sucks
Friday, July 22, 2005 4:56 AM
if you have to call around to get a ballpark price to compare them to then do it......dont just prepared to get screwed.....call around to see what some other places will charge....

Sunday, July 24, 2005 10:00 AM
Changed the Fuel Filter... No change. I am running some injector cleaner through it now. If that doesnt help, I will get the injector service. Any other ideas?
Thursday, July 28, 2005 9:48 AM
Cylinder 1 is shot. Has anyone seen this problem before? It has no compression. Is this a problem with the ecotec, or just my ecotec.
Thursday, July 28, 2005 1:37 PM
Very rarley... we here at Saturn have had to replace the whole ecotec head. This is very rare, but sometimes the head has small holes in the aluminum, from the factory, which causes a compression problem. They tend to get worse over time.

I have seen 1 replaced under warranty here in the last 6 months, because of this problem.

Not saying that this is the problem with your car.
Thursday, July 28, 2005 1:39 PM
Yeah, My car is out of warranty. the eXtended was up 3000 miles ago. Do you think this is a faulty part then?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search