pulley tensioner,wtf. - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
pulley tensioner,wtf.
Saturday, July 16, 2005 6:48 PM
i know this has probably been posted but ive gotta get to work and dont have time to search.
the problem i have is that i put some belt dressing on and the serpentine came off.
stupid me, the stuff was for vee belts only.
well when it came off the tensioner made a loud 'click' or 'thock' sound,
ive spent the past 4 hours trying to get the dang thing back on and nothing helps.
yeah since this is my first car newer than 1983 this is also my serpentine to fix.
ive tried loosening the alternator, slacking the tensioner, pry bars and brute force,
nothing.
i think maybe loosening the power steering pump maybe my only hope,
or maybe if i loosen both the psp, the alt and the tensioner?
anyways im stuck, can someone please help me?

Re: pulley tensioner,wtf.
Saturday, July 16, 2005 7:04 PM
can you get the wrench on it and push it in (compress the spring on the tensioner w/o the belt on) ?

Saturday, July 16, 2005 8:40 PM
Its a pain to put the belt on trust me. I have a 99 and it took me a good 20 minutes to get it on. Here is what i did. First route the belt to everything but the altenator. hold it tight so there isnt any slack and its on the rest of the pulleys( a second person works wonders here) next grab a long obejct (broom stick, scrap peice of metal or something) and push down on the tensioner. Doing that should give you enough slack to get the belt onto the altenator. But ofcourse all this is assuming that the 94 2.2L is setup the same way as the 99 2200. Im thinking they are but im not positive.

I AM THE DESTROYER OF THREADS.
FEAR THE THREAD KILLER!!!!::inserts evil laugh::
Sunday, July 17, 2005 3:08 AM
go to autozone or napa and buy the tool. it is basicly a long wrench that you put on the tensioner and allows you to take the pressure off and put on the belt. for about 13 bucks it makes it 10 times easier...
Sunday, July 17, 2005 3:30 AM
I agree! It's a HUGE pain. I just had to put one on... Best idea...

Main rear pulley (ridged side down)
tensioner (smooth side down/bottom half of belt)
water pump (smooth side along the top)
a/c compressor (ridged side against bottom or pulley)
take the other side, under pulley to the right)
then press on the tensioner, and have another person grab the belt and throw it over the alt pulley.
Sunday, July 17, 2005 5:10 AM
to cinny: yeah it moves to the right roughly an inch or so,
i removed the tensioner and inspected the bearing, looks and sounds good.
while it was off i degreased it clean, and reinstalled it.

to Jay 2K2 Sunfire GT: good idea! im gettin that wrench, thanks bro.

to everyone else: thanks for the advice, im gonna need it.

now what do i do with a $3 can of belt dressing.
Sunday, July 17, 2005 5:20 AM
to the thread killer, hoo-ahhh!!!!!
Sunday, July 17, 2005 4:29 PM
ok the ok good the tensioner isn't busted then. you have to put the belt on most of the way, all but the on the tensioner, put the wrench on after you have the belt resting next to it. the belt will be wedged between the pulley and your wrench, i tthinki always used the open end and ppushedwith the boxed end. you will push the wrench straight back it will most likely slip under a few lines that are on that side use your other hand and slip on the belt. put ssomettalcumpowered on the bbeltand the pulley in that area. only take you 5 min. i got really good at it. I wish I was there I'd do it for you man.

Sunday, July 17, 2005 5:29 PM
GOT IT!!!!!

picked up a 15mm ratchet wrench, calmed down, with the belt on except for the alt. pulley torked/pushed the tensioner all the way to the right, used another wrench to push against the first wrench, keeping the tensioner in place, then simply slipped the belt over the alt. pulley.
once i got to business it only took 5 minutes or so.
actually it was pretty easy.

thanks cinny for your help!!
if you're ever in the area just ask.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search