Really weird engine troubles (everyone stumped) - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Really weird engine troubles (everyone stumped)
Wednesday, July 13, 2005 8:05 PM
I have a 96 cav 2.2

first the problems started slowly and got worse, the car would bog down at a certain rpm (dont know what no tach) it would act like it hit a rev limiter almost but just start dieing out. it could free rev to redline but under load it would bog in higher rpm. gradually it got worse and worse until one day it just stopped working completely. it will start sometimes but wont really idle but sorta misfire and as soon as you try and give it any gas it will just die.

diagnosed everything and the only thing i could find was 2 injectors leaking. i replaced those and the coils. replaced the fuel pump, and i do have gas. 3 coast guard mechanics and 2 gm dealer mechanics couldnt figure out whats wrong. a couple people think it could be the fuel pump but there is no schrader vale to check pressure and i know the pump is working but i dont know what pressure.

does anyone have any clues at what it might be? i would be soooo glad, ive been without a car for a month and a half and i really need to get it running again.

thnks for any help

Re: Really weird engine troubles (everyone stumped)
Wednesday, July 13, 2005 8:22 PM
hey....mine does the same thing. and tonight i had a friend ride with me who owned a 97 cavy at one time. he said that he replaced the throttle position sensor (TPS) and it helped. it should be about a $30 part, and is easy to replace. if you try it tell me if it helps and ill change mine too.

Re: Really weird engine troubles (everyone stumped
Wednesday, July 13, 2005 8:29 PM
Sounds like the TPS to me as well, that problem doesn't happen a whole lot with teh 2.2 though. Check the output voltage. To check the fuel pressure, you need to clip an in-line T with a guage on it. The quick disconnects are by the firewall.

Cardomain|Myspace

Wednesday, July 13, 2005 9:13 PM
i will test the tps like literally right now. i have a whole 2.2 engine on the side of the house so i will replace it. i cant remember if i tried replacing this allredy because ive been working on both the j and dsm for the past month so who knows.

Wednesday, July 13, 2005 10:18 PM
ok i replaced the tps and started it up and it was doing the misfire idle thing but didnt die. i opened the throttle a little bit but it just bogged down and would start to die. i pulled spark plug 4 and the engine didnt act any different so i was like wtf? i checked and was getting spark but no fire it seems. i pulled plug 3 and it just died.

any ideas?

Wednesday, July 13, 2005 10:46 PM
when you replaced the coils did you replace the leads as well?

where to go and what to do?
the choice is up to you!!!!
Wednesday, July 13, 2005 10:58 PM
i replaced the the whole thing. everything bolted to the plate not individual parts of it.

Thursday, July 14, 2005 6:40 AM
has anyone checked to see if you cat is clogged up? it will cause the same thing.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Thursday, July 14, 2005 1:47 PM
how would i check to see if the cat was clogged? just unbolt it and see if the car runs?

Thursday, July 14, 2005 2:18 PM
yup. thats all

Thursday, July 14, 2005 7:39 PM
i havent been able to do much with the cav today because ive been changing a water pump on the dsm but i went and got a code scanner and pulled codes p0107 p0108 and p0304.

the 304 was because i pulled #4 plugwire last night to see if it affected it. but the 107 and 108 are map/baro circut high and low. im gonna try changing out the map sensor and see if that helps. chime in if you think of anything else.

Saturday, July 23, 2005 3:56 PM
i still havent been able to figure it out. i replaced the map sensor but it didnt help. anyone have any ideas because im stumped.

Saturday, July 23, 2005 5:03 PM
have you checked the cat yet?

Saturday, July 23, 2005 5:17 PM
Also your o2 sensor on your header will cause the bog and die aswell check that

(Insert really cool picture of my car with some catchy name or slogan here)
Saturday, July 23, 2005 5:50 PM
jackalope wrote:have you checked the cat yet?

i forgot to check that. i will today because the dsm is out of business permanently now as of last night.

i have a spare o2 sensor so i will replace it while checking about the cat.

Saturday, July 23, 2005 6:48 PM
i changed the o2 but that didnt help. but when i took off the rest of the exhaust it fired right up and ran great. sounded like a v8 on crack too. this is great! now i have a car to drive around as soon as i get a new cat for it.

thanks for the help!

Saturday, July 23, 2005 7:58 PM
cool glad i could help. now i wonder why no one that looked at your car in person could figure that out.

maybe you need to find a new mechanic.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search