Any ideas? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Any ideas?
Tuesday, July 05, 2005 6:52 PM
I have 02 ECO at 35,000 miles, I have an aftermarket exhaust system. I recently (within the past week) replaced gaskets. I have from time to time a sulfuric smell coming from the exhaust into the car. the car's idle is real rough and ticks and tacks. you can see the entire engine, header, and exhaust just shaking. smells pretty gassy. I replaced the spark plugs. for a while I had no problems, took the car on the highway then problems started to occur again and TRAC OFF appears, but no check engine light. when TRAC OFF appears, the car idles at 1K rpm.

I'm asking because I just have no idea. some of you guys here are pure geniouses, help me with any info.

Could it be an alternator issue? I had my alt replaced back in november.. symptoms were the same, just minus the sulfur smell. can it be the gasoline? I usually put in 89 but sometimes i use regular. Im not consistant with the same gas station. are there any suggestions?

Re: Any ideas?
Tuesday, July 05, 2005 8:07 PM
The smell from the exhaust could be bad gas if you are lucky. If it's not your lucky day then it sounds like the catalytic converter. I use 87 gas, it's what the car is designed for. If there is no forced induction or nitrous then I wouldn't bother with anything but 87.

Jay

One huge aluminum wing - $200
More vinyl graphics than your ride can handle - $150
Decals for products you don’t even have - $10
500lbs of Car Audio equipment in the trunk - $1500
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Getting slaughtered by a KIA - Priceless
Tuesday, July 05, 2005 8:55 PM
hehehe, you said smell from bad gas!
Tuesday, July 05, 2005 9:16 PM
I read my stuff over just now This is too funny:

myself wrote:The smell from the exhaust could be bad gas if you are lucky

7-11 burrito anyone?

Jay

One huge aluminum wing - $200
More vinyl graphics than your ride can handle - $150
Decals for products you don’t even have - $10
500lbs of Car Audio equipment in the trunk - $1500
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Getting slaughtered by a KIA - Priceless
Wednesday, July 06, 2005 4:51 AM
lol. ::ppppprrrttt:: woops. well lets hope so guys. correct me if im wrong, ive used 89, it seems like i get the better mileage out of it.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search