Studs breaking on same wheel - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Studs breaking on same wheel
Sunday, July 03, 2005 2:06 PM
Well, I'm just wondering if anyone has an idea on why my studs are breaking, About 3 months ago, I had 3 studs break off, on the same wheel, I don't remember hitting anything, but I changed the whole wheel bearing, just because it had 170 000kms on it, and the other side has been done last year. so after 3 months of driving (15 000kms) I had 1 stud break off, so I got the torgue wrench out, and tightened the other 4, since two of them had come loose. one week later, my wheel is hanging by 1 stud. remember this is all on the same passenger side wheel. So I change everything again. well the next day, just to double check everything, I notice my wheel has become loose, doens't like like the bearing, but I can't figure it out. I'm just wondering what anyone thinks would be the cause of a loose wheel, or why the studs would keep breaking. Any help would be greatly appreciated since I have been without a car for 2 weeks now, and would like some info before I take it too a garage. Thank-you

Re: Studs breaking on same wheel
Sunday, July 03, 2005 9:12 PM
maybe the wheel is out of balance... do you have stock wheels? If not, did you need to install a hub centric? Maybe the hub centric is broken causing a slight wobble... have you checked the tire to see if there is a bubble? I'm no tire expert, it sounds as if there is something wrong with the wheel/tire causing it to move slightly.
Hope this helps.
Monday, July 04, 2005 5:05 AM
I haven't checked the wheel, but I was thinking it could be that, I had changed the wheel from my 02 Z24 rims to an old spare 98 Z24 rim that used to be on the car for years, and it just seemed to happen after that. maybe it has been warped or somthing, I don't know. Thanks though, any help right now is great since I hate being without a car, ha ha

Tuesday, July 05, 2005 12:06 PM
you're welcome, let me know what the outcome is for you...
Tuesday, July 05, 2005 3:02 PM
when was the last time you bought new lug nuts?

Tuesday, July 05, 2005 3:06 PM
^^ You think the lugs could be wobbled-out?
Tuesday, July 05, 2005 3:32 PM
ya never know

Tuesday, July 05, 2005 8:57 PM
Just never thought of that and you are right, never do know, that's why we come here to hear others input, good suggestion.
Wednesday, July 06, 2005 10:02 AM
Cinny wrote:when was the last time you bought new lug nuts?

I bought all new lug nuts after the first time, because that is something I thought of too, it's too bad that wasn't it, it would have been a cheap fix, My car is over an hour away from me at my g/f's parents, so her dad and brother took a look at it again for me. They are thinking it might be the tie rods, and ball joint. I know I couldn't figure it out, it will be taken to a garage on friday, I guess to do it properly, I can't stand having to take a 2 hr bus ride just to get to work one way. It sucks.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search